Dimes
8 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

New Winstam is a sprawling place by the standards of the Empire,  fast growth did not leave much time for things like city planning or the construction of massive buildings, so the city is a nightmare to navigate if you are not a local. Which is part of the reason Clein found himself in a detestable position, along with his inhibitions towards walking the filthy streets of a filthy, cramped city with only his clothes and boots to protect him. Needless to say it is good that he picked his cheapest suit, as he will have to burn it when this is done. He did organize some help with this inspection process, but paranoia towards underlings he does bit know won the day so he walked throughoit the city checking on all of his subordinates. So he continued walking, marking every dung pile he saw and comparing it to the reports...

----------

Jacob on the other hand was walking in luxury, the disparity between New and old Winstam has been noticed before but it bears repeating, they look like entirely different cities. Like God cut a line in the Earth and declared it the divider between clean and unclean, disgusting and pristine. But Jacob could not appreciate the sight for long as he was soon in the mayor's section of the government complex, detailing the streetcar project to a secretary. Unfortunately, only actual Ministers could meet the Mayor withou an appointment, but the process will be quick enough.

In the meantime, Jacob is developing a plan, he figured that if certain medical institutions were against the cleanliness movement and others were for it, then it would not hurt anybody for the transit lines to happen to favor some clinics over others, so he started pulling strings. First he contacted some college friends...

------

Eleanor had perhaps the hardest job of the lot, convince a bunch of highly successful businessmen to develope a never before seen tram line following roads the government marked using a vehicle an old man made in his back yard, so she decided against doing that. She instead decided to go to visit her old volunteer friends, while they will not have funding they will have fresh ideas, so she put on a casual dress and visited her only real friends in the city.

In the clean and unfurnished reception of the Coalition Against Disease, Eleanor started speaking, "Hello everyone, it is wonderful to see you all again." She was trying to reconnect a relationship she has not maintained for the past few months.

"Elly! Why are you here, I thought you had important work to do for the Minister?" Stacy said, happy to see Eleanor again after her last visit.

"I must admit I am not here for fully innocent purposes, but I also wanted to say hi."

Stacy nodded, immediately switching to a professional demeanor, "What are you here for Miss. Eleanor."

"I need ideas from the Coalition, ideas on how to fund a metro project without government help nor privatization. Can you help me?"

"Of course, in the fight against pestilence the Coalition can do anything. Please follow me." Stacy replied before calling out to gather the members for a discussion session. Eleanor was led to a room right behind the reception, a fireplace meeting room.

Once everone was gathered, the meeting began in earnest. Eleanor repeated what she needed ideas on and they brainstormed. 

"You could hire a negotiator to convince the businessmen." A volunteer said.

"I doubt they would be convincing enough for the businessmen to be willing to go all in on this." Eleanor explained.

"And the charities?" Questioned the volunteer.

"Too stretched, charities are practically bleeding funds right now." Interrupted a fundraiser.

"Wait a moment, if the businessmen were not willing to take risks, then why did the sewers get funding?" A nurse questioned.

"It did not, they Ministry had to sell shares of itself to get the funding, I did not even know the Ministires had shares." Eleanor clarified.

The discussion continued, exhausting all the obvious options and then going into the more niche.

"How about a high-risk loan?" A receptionist asked.

"The interest would cripple us, the moneymaking ability of the streetcar line is uncertain." Eleanor replied.

"Then, why not collect money from the populace themselves?" Questioned a boy new to the Coalition.

"How would that work?" Eleanor asked.

"Well, I am sure the populace can see the issues with the road and tell that we are trying to help, so if we ask them to deliver a small portion of their money, then that small portion could add up to a large sum right?" The boy clarified.

"...That might work. Thank you all, I think I have a direction now. Now I must ask another favor of you all, I wish for you to use your contacts to help me spread the message, there's only so much I can do on my own." Eleanor asked of the people gathered in the room.

"That's fine, but were you not ordered to privatize it? I admit we dropped the idea quickly but surely your boss must get upset about that." Stacy questioned, worried for Eleanor's career.

"You musunderstand," Eleanor replied, "it is much easier for me to apologize than ask for forgiveness."

1