Pre-Arrival
1.1k 14 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

My mind is suddenly inundated with information, scattered, and disorganized memories which aren't my own. I try to focus and make sense of these thoughts. I remember dying, I was on my way to whatever afterlife awaited me, however a dragon of some kind - all I could remember was a great gaping maw, countless razor sharp teeth, and two burning eyes - set my soul ablaze with its breath. I remember the pain, it felt like a thousand stars had gone supernova at once, and I met the full weight of their awesome power at pointblank range.

I- it.. it wasn't just A dragon, no, it was THE dragon. The Ur-Wyrm, The Chaos Dragon, The Scaled One, Father of Dragons. I- I'm not sure how I know this, I just do.

I feel myself being pulled towards something, no, I'm falling. Falling towards a... universe, a planet, a world. It is unlike any I've seen before. I feel myself changing, transforming, evolving. I'm being something far greater than I once was. A dragon. It seems so... simple to influence this evolution, no, this transcendence.

The world I'm plummeting towards is named Elderia. Though I have no eyes, I can see it, and the sight of it is truly breathtaking. Elderia does not resemble Earth in any way, shape, or form. Magic exists here, magical races, dragons, monsters, and even deities, though the latter takes a more passive role. Elderia is split into 4 Continents with vastly different cultures. These Continents are separated by vast oceans inhabited by dangerous sea monsters, making travel by ship little more than assisted suicide. Most Humanoids in Elderia are Human, but there are plenty of other races.

I realize suddenly that, rather than falling, it feels as if I'm flying. I AM still in free fall, but I am acutely aware that I can now guide my descent to a Continent of my choice. In time, I would visit every Continent eventually, but where should I enter this new world? It's a long, long way until I even breach the atmosphere of this new world so there's plenty of time to decide.

New memories of the Continents suddenly 'awaken' within my Mind, as if they had always been, and only now had I 'remembered' their existence.

* * *

Andor is the largest Continent, home to the Humanoid races of Humans, Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes, Goblins, Orcs, Centaurs, Dryads, and the Fae. The land of Andor is littered with forests, lakes, mountains, and rolling hills. In many ways it is similar to medieval Europe. There are countless monsters that terrorize the Humanoid races, and the Humanoid races have found it's far more effective to combat these threats in small bands of specialized monster hunters rather than amass armies. This has led to the inception of the Hunters Guild, where like-minded Humanoids gather.

While the Hunters deal with monstrous threats, the soldiers of the different kingdoms deal with Humanoid threats, unless of course a massive dragon attacks, then every man, woman, and even child old enough to bear arms is rallied. Dragons are hated and despised in Andor for obvious reason, they're the apex predator of this world, and Humanoids naturally hate what they fear or do not understand. Young Dragons are actively hunted, whether they wind up slaughtered or enslaved, but keeping an enslaved dragon is a dangerous prospect as dragons almost always break free of the shackles that bind, magical or not.

Andor is split into two landmasses, Anduvia and Cendor. Anduvia is the northern region, whilst Cendor is the southern. In Anduvia, non-Human Humanoids are enslaved, referred to as 'Half-Monsters' or 'Demi-Humans', but the truth is that Humans are naturally xenophobic, and are more than willing to enslave their own race, let alone another entirely. Additionally, the practice of most Magical Disciplines has been banned, the reason being their worship of Andea, and whilst they don't have Mages, they do have powerful Warrior Priests. In Cendor, non-Humans are treated mostly as equals, and Magic is highly valued.

* * *

Kaldgrim is the coldest Continent, being farther North than all others. It's terrain consists of fjords, tundras, pine forests, mountains, grasslands, and arctic wastelands too cold for most Humanoids to survive. The Humanoids of Kaldgrim tend towards a taller, hardier, physically stronger people than those of the other Continents. Humans, Dwarves, Orcs, Giants, Goblins, and Ogres make up the majority of the Humanoid races that live on Kaldgrim. There are some Frost Elves too, but they're nearly extinct, living in seclusion and shrouded in secrecy. Most believe them to be little more than myths.

Food is scarce in Kaldgrim, only the southernmost grasslands warm enough to provide land for farming. The Humanoids of this icy land gather the majority of their food through hunting, whether that's beasts or monsters.

Strength is everything in Kaldgrim, and to prove their strength some chieftains would challenge dragons. If they lost, the dragon would kill them and become the new chieftain of the tribe, for only the strong should rule. It is not wrong to say that weakness a sin in Kaldgrim. If the dragon lost, however, they would recognize the chieftain's strength and serve the chieftain for as long as they remained chieftain. Such a challenge is not something a prideful creature such as dragons typically refuse.

With the aid of dragons, the Humanoid tribes of Kaldgrim could hunt monsters of the sea which they previously feared, and once their fear of the sea was banished, they began raiding the other Continents for food, valuables, and slaves. Most tribes do not have a dragon or a dragon chieftain. Instead, they form pacts with one, these pacts heavily in favor of the side perceived to be the strongest. Most tribes pay heavy prices in order to raid for food and riches across the deadly seas.

* * *

Ixtacotak, also known as the 'Shattered Continent', having been, well, shattered, by a Great Dragon some countless millennia ago. It is composed of dozens of smaller islands that were once a single landmass. All islands share the same environments, consisting of tropical jungles, swamps, rain forests, volcanoes, deserts, and waterfalls. Some Humanoid races that live here are Humans, Merfolk, Nagas, Sirens, Lizardmen, and Harpies. Ixtacotak has the largest population of Dragons amongst the Four Continents, largely due to having subdued the Humanoid races into serving them, but also because the monsters of Ixtacotak are much larger than the monsters of any other Continent, providing Dragons with an abundance of food, and the Humanoids an abundance of powerful predators.

Most monsters on Ixtacotak share resemblance to the dinosaurs of Earth. Every island has it's own Dragonlord that governs it and a court of Dragons. The Dragon Courts serve two purposes, to cull the local monster population, and to serve their Dragonlord as elite warriors, but most of the time they tend to laze atop piles of gold while being entertained by Human servants.

The Humanoids of Ixtacotak are little more than slaves, save those gifted with Magic. These rare few are inducted into the local Dragonlords Dragon Cult. If the Dragons are the gods of Ixtacotak, then the members of the Dragon Cults are their High Priests, happily serving their Draconic overlords with devotion and absolute loyalty. The Dragon Priests practice powerful ritual magic requiring live sacrifices. Not every Dragon ruler is a tyrant, some treat their Humanoid subjects with kindness - or as close to it as Dragons can - but those are overwhelmingly in the minority.

Metal is rare on Ixtacotak, which creates the issue of being underequipped in comparison to the other Continents. Instead, they rely heavily on powerful sorcerery, tamed warbeasts, and the overwhelming might of their Draconic rulers to crush their enemies under foot and claw. Most Humanoid soldiers are little more than cannon fodder.

* * *

The Eastern Continent Mizuchi is a lush, green land full of majestic mountains, bamboo forests, groves, open steppes, and regular forests. The environment and the architecture is remarkably similar to the eastern lands of Earth.

Humans, Kitsune, Oni, Usagi, Neko, and Inu make up the majority of the Humanoid Races that live here. The barrier between the spiritual and physical world is much thinner in Mizuchi, allowing spirits to take on physical forms. Dragons, spirits, and Humanoids live in harmony, well, relative to the rest of the world that is. The Dragons of Mizuchi view the Humanoids as children, a short-lived race who show promise and may one day become great, but to do so require guidance. Rather than rule over them like untrusting parents, however, they want the Humanoid races to learn and grow from their mistakes. Because of this, Dragons rarely if ever interfere in conflicts between Humanoids.

Each village, town, and city has it's own Dragon or Spirit Guardian to protect it against hostile monsters, spirits, or Dragons. Not every dragon is a guardian, however, some have created temples where they share knowledge with those who are willing to learn the ways of the Dragons. Such students are called Samurai, Shinobi, Monks, or Spirit Callers. Others spend their time as advisors or family guardians for noble families, however there are also Dragons who despise and hunt Humanoids. They are called 'Honorless Dragons', and are hunted by other Dragons.

Mizuchi is split into 3 warring Humanoid kingdoms, the Northern Kingdom of the wise and powerful Dragon Emperor, the Central Kingdom of the strong and ferocious Tiger Emperor, and the Southern Kingdom of the immortal and beautiful Phoenix Empress.

* * *

I have yet to make my choice when I feel Time slow, grinding to a halt. I instinctively understand what is happening - my soul requires a vessel, otherwise entrance to the physical realm is impossible. My nonexistent heart beats a bit faster as I realize that a body is not being prepared for me, no, I am to craft a body of my own design. I must choose a species of Dragon to begin with, but what do I know about Dragons? The question flits through my Mind, chased away by the immediate realization that I know a LOT about Dragons.

There are over a dozen Dragon Species populating Elderia, but only one catches my interest; Scalelings, a species of 'Half-Dragons' that are the result of a 'True-Dragon' copulating with one of the many Humanoid species. They are indistinguishable from other members of the same race as their Humanoid parent. This, along with lacking all obvious Draconic Features - Wings, Scales, Claws, etcetera - allows them to effortlessly blend in among Humanoid civilization.

I can clearly picture my body's appearance within my Mind's Eye. My physique, height, hair and eye color... it's everything I wished I was in a past life. Still, it's little more than a rough outline at this point, an artist's first draft yet to be finalized. I have an appearance, but I lack Features, the defining characteristics that truly set me apart from other Dragons.

My descent is known as a Dragonfall on Elderia, an event that marks the end of an era, and the beginning of the next. It is an event that marks the arrival of a Greater Dragon. I am that Greater Dragon, and all Greater Dragons possess immense Potential. It is this Potential that I will 'spend' to 'purchase' Features.

I immediately allocated a third of my Potential to enhance my Physical Features - Muscles, Bones, Tendons, Ligaments, Connective Tissues, Inner Organs, Agility, Senses, and -ahem- my Virility.

Another third of my Potential is consumed, granting me vast Mystical Might, completing the construction of my vessel. It is one of power beyond my wildest dreams, but it is empty, yet to be filled with Arcane Power.

Arcane Power that the remaining third of my Potential is consumed to engrave a dozen Spells into my very soul. Nothing is preventing me from learning Spells the traditional way, but investing Potential allows me to skip years, decades, or perhaps centuries of study. Additionally, these Spells require no reagents, incantations, hand gestures, or rituals, and cost significantly less mana than they would normally cost.

Before my soul can fuse with my body, I take a moment to appreciate what I've created. I may be biased, but in my eyes, it is a masterpiece.

I feel myself attracted to the body, and I offer no resistance as my currently formless self merges with the fleshy vessel. It takes almost no time to acclimate to my new body, and as my fingers grasp, and grope, and slide along my physique, I can only feel immense satisfaction and eagerness as I turn my focus outwards.

I'm still falling towards Elderia, but very slowly. I'm fully encapsulated in an egg-shaped mass of raw Dragonite, like my arrival is some kind of Cosmic Birth.

Dragonfalls occur once a millennia on Elderia, ushering in a new Era, and the birth of a Greater Dragon. This once-in-a-millennia event is not a quiet affair. The energies released are felt across the world, and even those unable to physically witness the event clearly sense it occurring.

My Mind is suddenly met with countless wishes from desperate, brave, or foolish individuals. I have the power to fulfill these wishes, to turn fantasy into reality, and all it would cost me are the dregs of Potential that remained after shaping and empowering my new self.

The inhabitants of Elderia are aware that the cost of having a wish fulfilled during a Dragonfall is steep. The 5th Greater Dragon to descend, who was originally a demon, harvested the souls of all whose wish it granted. I couldn't care less about Souls, I'm not equipped to utilize souls anyways, but what I do value is companionship.

Maybe my Draconic instincts are already affecting my decision making, but I doubt it, I've always been a horny bastard. 'Sorry boys.' I offer a silent apology to the thousands of wishes from males, mentally filtering out the noise so that I can focus on the wishes of the feminine persuasion.

Still, thousands of wishes reach me, pleading, offering anything and everything they have. If only I grant their wish.

In the sea of wishes, a certain individual catches my interest, and as the final wisps of Potential are consumed to grant their wish, my eyes begin to close. The fall will take some time still, and I'm feeling quite sleepy, yet I cannot shake my excitement. Soon, I will be reborn.

* * *

"Welcome to Elderia, Greater Dragon."

The voice that greets me is silken, deep, and pleasant in my ears. My eyes open to the visage of demon. There is no other word to describe the entity before me. His skin is grey, his eyes burn like red-hot coals, and he wears a golden crown atop his flaming head.

"I am Malgoroth, King of Demons and ruler of Infernus. I am here to extend my hand and offer you my friendship. I believe that we both would benefit greatly from a Pact."

A Pact? This is... unusual.

The knowledge implanted in my Mind bubbles to the surface. Malgoroth is one of a dozen or so of the powerful entities that are typically passive in their interactions with Elderia. He, along with the other Gods, Demons, and Divine Spirits greatly limit their interference on the Continents.

"I will only offer my friendship once, you would be wise to accept it. I don't know what you have heard about demons in your previous life, but everything you have heard is likely true, we are a flawed race. But only as flawed as our creators, the sapients of the physical realm. A demon is essentially the manifestation of an emotion, we are the shadows of the luminous emotions that sapients experience."

That is incredibly ironic. So long as Humanoids exist, so too will Demons.

"Every demon feeds on a specific emotion, making us psychic parasites. This emotion is intrinsic to our very existence, shaping our mind and body. We are slaves to our emotions. There is no crime a demon would not commit to satisfy their emotions. I am a demon of ambition and I would like nothing more than to invade the physical realm and conquer it, but unlike other demons, I hate what I am. My self-hatred gives me clarity and the means to rise above what I am, to dream about what I could be."

He pauses, his eyes seeming to lose focus as he focuses on this dream. Seconds later, he sighs, and continues.

"My offer is thus; Create tension between Cendor and Anduvia. I want open war. Sabotage Cendor. They will, without a doubt, turn to me once they grow too desparate. Should you agree, I offer two rewards."

Malgoroth makes a sweeping hand gesture, a kneeling demon, materializes.

"This-" He says, gesturing to the she-demon."-is Sephillia, The Archdemon of Lust. While she has been a loyal ally, I utterly despise her. She is the embodiment of everything wrong with demonkind, a slave to her own emotions. Yet, I would never throw her away as a mere gift were it not for her own perverted desire to become your sex slave. By her own will, she wishes to be offered up to you as a mere slave. Should you accept, she will be obey your every command."

Sephillia is undeniably beautiful, her Demonic Features only adding to her attractiveness, and my desire for her is equally undeniable. Dragons, for all their power and majesty, are not without their flaws. I KNOW this is little more than a vision, a dreamlike state where Malgoroth can communicate with me, but I want nothing more than to take Sephillia where she kneels.

My desire, however, is matched only by my willpower, and I have no doubt that were I still Human, all self-control would have fled me at the mere sight of her. I say this with near certainty, as I can FEEL her Aura attempting to corrupt me, yet unable to.

"I am pleased she is to your liking." Malgoroth's words draw my attention from the captivating she-demon, his lips curled into a smirk. "In addition, I would bestow you the title of Demon Lord, allowing you to open portals between the Physical realm and Infernus. Do not allow demons to cross into the Physical realm, they belong in Infernus and should stay there."

"Of course, you can't be a Lord without a domain to rule, you will be given one, along with servants and everything else that comes with being a Demon Lord. I recommend steering clear of the politics of the Infernal Court, a Great Dragon like yourself shouldn't be dragged down into the games of children, after all."

Malgoroth extends his hand, a white-hot symbol searing itself into his flesh, the symbol of the Pact. If I take his hand, the same symbol will be branded into my palm.

I hesitate on whether to accept or reject the Pact. If I accept, I will be required to plunge Andor into civil war, and while I don't particularly care one way or the other, I wouldn't be doing myself any favors with Andea, The Goddess of Light and Order, the same Goddess worshiped by the Humans of Anduvia.

Then again, Andea is Anti-Magic as it's in direct opposition to her Divine Domain, so she and I are already natural enemies. Anduvia's population is also a bunch of bigots, Human supremacists who enslave all non-humans, so...

The decision still isn't easy, but there's a reason Malgoroth made the offer in the first place.

I grasp the offered hand, instantly feeling the Pact brand itself into my palm. The pain is minimal, like getting a shot from the doctor, and fades as quickly as it came. The terms of our Pact fill my Mind, matching Malgoroth's words precisely, as not even the King of Demons is willing to risk breaking a Pact.

"To a successful partnership." He says, summoning a chain in his free hand, connected to Sephillia's collar. He offers me the chain, which I accept in my own free hand. I feel the vision begin to break down around me, but I keep a firm grasp on the chain even as it dematerializes and I black out.

* * *

===Author's Note===

The stage has been set. Let me know if this is something you readers are interested in. I stumbled upon TokHaar Gol's Dragonfall CYOA, and I loved it so much that I had to write something. This is a story I can really see myself getting into, but I don't want to get anyone's hopes up. I'm a slow writer, with a job, and a lot of medical debt to pay off so this can't be my focus no matter how much I wish it could be.

===Community===

Join the Dragonfall Discord here!

If you enjoy my work, think about supporting me over at pa treon.com/Mark1681

31