Chapter 328: Anomaly
150 2 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A blank sheet of paper.

That was how reality could be described. It didn't have any texts, characters, nor the exciting stories—simply a blank canvas. The one who made things possible is none other than 'The Root'. They were the ones who gave life to the sheet of paper. It is similar to the [Creators] back in Altair's world.

It first started to the creation of worlds. Then, the 'characters' followed suit. As time passed by, the number of worlds increased, and so does the [Wills] supported by 'The Root' itself. 

Each worlds has their distinctions—their specialties, so as to speak. There are worlds where the scope of 'normal' is lowered to a 'realistic' degree. There are also worlds that are 'supernatural' in nature that has people who destroys continents at will. 

Then there are the 'exceptions'.

They are the 'people' with great significance to their respective worlds. They were given the chance to interact with [The Root]—rather, [The Swirl of The Root]. By doing so, they gained exceptional powers.

These people are formally called <Beyond>. Just as it states, they are 'beyond' the scope of reality. They gained the authority to independently 'manipulate' portions of it. They transcended the state of 'creators' and became something akin to an 'Editor' or a 'Co-Author' of a book.

Nevertheless, they could still be 'erased'. What could be the process other than two evenly-leveled powers fighting one another?

Surprise, surprise.

Who would've thought that the position many people longed for is just akin to an 'Editor' of a book? That the one with true authority, the author (The Root) could fire them at any time?

I am different. I am no 'Author', 'Editor' or 'Co-Author'. I am merely a 'proxy'.

'The Root' couldn't directly influence reality. Both the [Chaos] and [Order] couldn't interfere with the board game unless they start a new round. Ironically, I was chosen as [Order]'s proxy and at the same time, the breakthrough point of [Chaos]. 

Am I considered a double agent at this point?

Nope. Not really. Yes, I allowed [Chaos]'s direct intervention—basically something that freely allows one illegal move in chess. That's like using the Queen to obliterate the king on white's first move. In this case, it's obliterating the world.

Then again, I now have the authority to do the same. 

If it wants to obliterate my king, I will send a nuclear bomb to his.

This level of out-of-bounds gameplay is something common for 'The Root'.

The surroundings change to an empty white room. An eight-by-eight chess board appeared with all the pieces present. A spitting imgae of myself sat on the opposite side.

"Can you at least stop using my face?" I asked rather rudely.

"..?"

It is the appearance transcending reality itself. It's the most suitable one to use.

I deadpanned at its reply. It is more petty than I thought. Anyways, I am in the white side.

Pawn e4.

I moved the pawn in front of the king two tiles forward. The faker responded by putting his pawn to e5—right in front of mine.

What I did next is to move my king one tile forward.

A literal question mark rose on his head as he tilted his head. Seeing myself act dumbly feels complex.

It proceeded to 'perfectly' respond to my moves. It didn't even laugh or had any other reactions to the Bongcloud opening I played just now. Just what I would expect from playing against 'Stockfish'. It would spew something like [Blunder] with the red texts.

There's no need for an author's note. Bongcloud is a tactic where the king moves at a priority, something that is seen disadvantageous on most formal games. In a sense, it stays true to Lelouch's philosophy.

"Hey. Are we seriously playing like this? The silence is deafening."

"..."

Do you want to blast off speakers while concentrating?

"Well then."

Four speakers surrounded us. They all played [Colors—FLOW] at the same time. The instrumentals blasted to the maximum volume before the starting 'JIBUN WO' rang out.

Nevertheless, Mister Faker wasn't bothered by it. No, it is more apt to say that it does not possess such feelings. It doesn't understand the 'characters' freely yet it wanted to interact with them. It's like someone wanting to write a fanfiction but doesn't understand the personality of the said 'characters'.

At least, I won't continue reading such garbage.

I apologize in advance for the countless authors out there.

Anyways, that's why I am fighting for. I won't let reality be turned to a garbage fanfiction floating around somewhere. That'd be the worst way to disappear.

Several dozens of moves later, it visibly gained advantage. It took every move seriously in contrast to myself who played a meme opening (Bongcloud) from the beginning.

"Oh. It's already [Spirits of the Sea—Kenshi Yonezu]."

Sometimes, I fathom how shuffled playlists work. They'd be playing a bright and upbeat song at first before suddenly switching to some heart-wrenching ones.

Tap.

It forked my queen and king. Having no choice, I moved my king away. The queen piece was captured, but I exchanged it with its bishop and rook. An equivalent exchange, per se.

"Since we're already here, why not talk sincerely? Why did you cause all of this? Everything would've been fine without this shit."

"..."

I was expecting for it to speak through 'text intents' but it didn't.

"You don't know the feeling of a 'Reader'."

"Oh..?" I clapped my hands. "Should I put this one out?"

[Your existence is becoming more defined.]

A brightly lit text appeared in front of us.

"I never expected for 'The Root' to be like that guy!"

The Demon King of Salvation.

His life is very interesting. I accidentally interacted with it back then. I saw his ending, which I wouldn't spoil to everyone who hasn't seen it yet.

"After recreating everything, will you sacrifice yourself several times? I'll trouble you to give yourself a cheat like [Fourth Wall] or [Omniscient Reader's Viewpoint]. That way, you could live after dying. You won't die if you are killed."

"..."

It went silent for a moment before it continued to move a chess.

"The colorful journey every person has. I long for it."

"I see. 'The Root' is actually a philosophical being. Though I don't think you should involve reality with mental struggles."

Nevertheless, I saw its reasoning. It always 'watched' every single journey that occurred from the beginning. I'm not surprised for some kind of anomaly to happen in its existence. That's the title of this chapter, anyways. A dead giveaway as to why everything I have experienced occurred.

"...Don't struggle further. Everything is up for naught."

Snap.

I removed the speakers around us. Silence filled everything once more.

Tap.

Tap.

Tap.

I never responded until the fifth move. At this time, I am under the threat of checkmate. I only have few pieces to move without the queen.

"Didn't you always see this happen? When someone is struggling, there's a chance to succeed."

"It occurs under my power."

"Yeah, I know. You're the one who gave people the plot armor to accomplish stuff. If you say so, then couldn't I grant myself plot armor?"

"You are restricted in this place. You are too preoccupied dealing with myself."

Though thanks to this place, I reached the <Beyond> state. Nothing mattered much here, only 'The Root' itself, in which case is something I am in possession of.

Tap.

The chess pieces on the side fall apart. My king is now checkmated with its queen.

"Really?"

Under its doubtful eyes, I grabbed the empty air on the corner tile. Much to its surprise, a bishop revealed itself. It captured the queen who threatened checkmate a while ago.

"You really didn't understand us."

7