Chapter 5 – Stupidity
44 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 5 – Stupidity

A gentle rain still came down. Though, I would appreciate it if the rain arrived sooner or not at all. In fact, I was feeling squeezy because of what I’m doing right now.

What the heck happened? As I’ve said, I am no masochist and yet, here I am, peering at Daimon’s house. With a hamburger in hand, I studied everything besides the bush I was sitting on. Maybe, one would ask why I looked skillful doing this task, but it resulted from our last dish of effort to win. We tried to kill Daimon, and it ended badly.

Again, I should have already guessed the result. That was why I’m feeling squeezy. Just the mere fact that my instincts were telling me to abandon this foolish move, and yet, once again, trying… was just too much to show my stupidity, right?

Okay. Yum. Licking my fingers, I’ve decided to say the truth.

Rebirth was a lie.

It was all in my head.

Surprise? Seeing your life degrading lower and lower. Seeing your wife taking her life. What more does one need to lose himself? I felt fear. So… so afraid that I lost my shit! My imagination carried me all the way to the hell—a hell I created myself. Just a sumptuous wish-slash-excuse to escape reality.

I am nothing but a coward.

Pitiful, heh. I’m used to this situation. At least, unwilling I may be, I wasn’t afraid to be pitiful once again. So, what were my fears right now?

One, Daimon.

Two, getting imprisoned.

The first one was the trauma the bastard inflicted, while the last was self-inflicted. Yet, both fears I was having… I am confronting them right now.

Ironic? Or heroic? Such plain stupidity, I know, no need to stab me further. I didn’t even have a bit of hot blood in me, nor any grand and gritty dream of revenge. It was just pure nonsense. Maybe I am already crazy. I hope not.

Thus, with trembling hands, I poured everything on the ground I needed to execute this nonsense.

In assassinating someone, one should prepare for a lot of things. First, ensure a backdoor. My face was already a dead end, so I would use this instead of doing the job. The modern era police force could sniff anyone, no matter how perfect one’s scheme, unless I became a new person. I heard from a friend-cum-not-anymore of an underground surgeon that could change my face. Next was getting a new identity, and my friend-cum-not-anymore, also had hinted to me how.

Second, equipment and weapons. For equipment, it was a simple task. But weapons, on the other hand, were a different matter. Getting a case of bullets was hard enough because of a nationwide gun ban, which was the reason was because of our previous action - Daimon was now considered a national treasure and we attempted to kill him. My wife and I tried using a sniper rifle (which was lost in the scuffle), and the best thing we did was kill a couple of disposable guards. I felt fortunate police did not catch us.

Too bad Daimon was probably laughing his ass off back then. But this time, I hoped there would be no more body doubles...

Regardless, I didn’t have a choice but to use primitive weapons.

Last, right timing. I had thought it through this time. Anyone who already won would feel secure, and I was willing to gamble Daimon was the same, right? I didn't include carelessness in his personality.

But maybe… maybe this time around!

I knew this was stupid because of my previous views of him being shattered every time! He was like an onion, there was always another layer if you peeled it!

Nevertheless, I had to! Even if it was the last thing I do!

As I’ve said, I had to use primitive weapons. A single knife was enough to end someone if you knew how to use it. Even Daimon! But I didn’t have any training. And even if I had training, no one could storm through a wall of security before killing the target. That was only fiction.

So, my last choice was to find out his schedule and kill him when an opportunity arises.

But a businessman's time was constantly changing. I knew because I was once. Hence, I had to adapt.

And days passed… but I only ate dust. See, I am really stupid.

4