Chapter 15 – Father
33 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 15 – Father

Clang.

My head went blank as I gawked at the news appearing on the screen. I hadn’t known I could profuse so much sweat.

“An old woman suffered a tragedy. Already been bullied by children, she also got hit by a car. Her status is unknown.”

But the broadcast wasn’t the reason I was sweating. My father, the basis of my power, was glaring at me. From birth, aside from ignoring me or being stoic when we talked, this was the first I saw an expression on his face.

The only one in the world who could make me feel fear – the president: my father.

In my eyes, my father was a power-hungry autocrat. His motto, everything must be perfect, and this allowed him to reach the peak. Power equaled perfection. And now, a blemish on his perfect record transpired.

It would have been okay if the camera hadn’t caught me. Right now, the videos of myself hitting the woman to the ground spread like germs on social media. It was an edited copy. We only bumped into each other. But so, what? People believed what they wanted to believe. They saw me as a tyrannical bully. So, it was all fair in their small brain.

Righteous jerks!

This time, social media’s arrow pointed toward me. But it couldn’t faze me anyway because I was born in castle walls. My uncle’s previous position was Chief of the Police Force while my elder cousin was a renowned lawyer and senator. I didn’t even have to mention my various connections. One word and it would all disappear.

Only my father acted strangely. Contrary to my belief that he would do anything to erase this blemish.

Eyes darting around, I could feel the blazing anger in his gaze. I started to regret what I’d said to the kids.

“I’ve been lenient to you.” He sighed; powerlessness laced his voice. I knew he was faking it, but my heart couldn’t help but tremble. How long since we last talked? Last month? Last year? I had forgotten. But the feeling of being reprimanded was kind of soothing.

Just like my persona, I was just a child – inside and out. I longed for warmth… This time, he was talking to me and I could feel rare emotions bubbling in my chest. I loved this feeling.

But, seeing his disappointed face, I knew I couldn’t be selfish. I felt I had let him down despite him letting me down countless times… I regretted what I just did once more.

“Your mother died while you are a baby. So, no one handled your willfulness. But as a father, I still hope you mature.”

“Father…” Blazing emotions surged from the recesses of my heart.

The father’s gaze deepened. “You have to know; you are my daughter. I am the president. It’s my responsibility to secure our country. If I couldn’t even control my backyard, what kind of a president I am?”

“I don’t want to be a failure because of your doing.”

Crash. Kacha.

I got my hopes high. Even though I didn’t want to voice it out, all I wanted was the ‘love’ those commoners had. He couldn’t give it to me.

Never.

“Why am I hopeless?” Walking barefooted because I couldn’t handle the heels anymore, my current self was worth disdaining. My so-called friends would mock me if they see me like this. The headlines, the sole Plastic Princess, ugly as a rat!

I didn’t even know where I was. Just following where my feet pointed me. The horizon seemed long and lonely. Clouds appeared heavy. As heavy as the stuffy feeling in my chest.

Perhaps, this was the best thing. I would walk until the pain was gone. Numb was the answer I seek, maybe.

But minutes later, out of nowhere, flashes of camera abruptly shone. My eyes got blinded. But I knew what trouble came for me.

These fucking flies! Shit! I ran with all my might. But I could still hear all they were saying.

"Why did you do it?”

“Can you explain your recent behavior? These signs of tyranny you have been exhibiting were too much. The White House was having a field day because of you.”

“Just because you are from the rich and powerful, you can trample anyone you want?”

“Plastic Princess is still the same Plastic Princess.”

They grabbed at my ankles, showering me with curses. Exploding with glorious purpose, they trialed me with their weapon: cameras. It wasn’t enough that people hated me. They wanted me to go to hell!

Who knew where my strength came from? I disentangled myself from them and went to a corner. Desperate. Very desperate. A look of horror remained on my face while clutching my thin shoulders.

I laid down on the ground. Strength left me. All the stardom and beauty – nothing could be seen from my state. Why did people have to be mean? I had created all extravagant actions and the glamour… just for the sake of people recognizing me. And yet, in the end, they were all just flashy feats.

Drip. Drip.

Love was nothing but a fake trick used by the powerful. Lies! I snarled, throwing my luxurious heels to the ground. I was hurting. Mentally and physically.

“Only when I became powerful…” I wiped the liquid dripping down my face. With a solemn face, I vowed just like when I was young when I realized that this was a world of dog-eat-dog!

But before I could finish my words, I saw a familiar person. Our eyes met and the world went silent.

Dugen. Hot blood pumped out of my chest, clearing the stuffiness from within.

He looked so foolish: he was too taken aback seeing me. I chuckled, feeling beautiful despite knowing I was not. Not right now. Even so, he made me feel beautiful.

Seconds later, he gave me a gentle smile.

“What’s up, Karen?”

All my thoughts, even grievances, vanished like a bubble.

“If he doesn’t stop smiling like that, I will possess him! Really!”

2