Chapter 17 – Love
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 17 – Love

“What are you thinking?” Daimon smiled. I woke up from my thoughts and beamed at him.

“Finish?”

“Yes.”

“Let’s go.” I urged him and showed a naughty look. I already tolerated him. This time, I would devour him whole.

Yet he shook his head. Was my hint not enough?

“I saw the news, and I wanted to comfort you.”

“Pfft. You don’t need to.”

“I insist.”

I frowned. But his strong hand grasped mine and pulled me.

“Where are we going?” But the bastard only gave me a reassuring smile.

Woosh.

Wohooooo! I shouted at the top of my lungs. The thrill of the rides - I’d almost forgotten it. Since when did I play like a kid? I was too busy planning for power and disregarded small things.

“Are you happy?” He smiled, it seemed forced because of his paling face, but I understood his heart.

“Yes!”

“Then, thank God.” He patted my shoulder. “Your body is too stiff. Even your face earlier. Try to loosen up sometimes.”

“How do you know I didn’t?” I rebuked because I always treated everything as an amusement. Still, seeing the concern on his face, I smiled and teased him.

“You are treating me like a girl.”

Daimon scratched his head. “I didn’t. I only wanted to repay your favor then.”

“Huh? When?”

“At the party. I had a great night thanks to you. No one talks to me that long. People always seem to distance themselves from me. Very few could last long talking with me. I wanted to appreciate these few people.

“Of course, I am no ordinary woman,” I said while highlighting my assets. But I remembered I still look miserable and felt a little shame. Most times, I could proudly flirt with anyone. So, I forwent these little tricks only today.

“Then who are these fortunate people?”

“Other than you, my mother and father…”

A sad look appeared on the man’s beautiful face. I took a deep breath. It seemed I hit something I shouldn’t. “I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay. Things have changed since then. I am no longer my weak self.” His face brightened. “I’ve become someone anyone can rely on. I had people now who put their trust in me. My company and subordinates… And I won’t let them down.”

“You are too full.” I scoffed. But he ignored my remarks and patted my shoulder.

“You too, Karen. I am a good listener. You can call me anytime and I will be there.”

I was almost touched. But I doused my feelings before it happened. “Let’s go?”

“Wait.” He bent down. I wondered what he would do. But I became shocked when he touched my feet.

“What are you doing?!” His hands caressing my feet tickled me.

“Your feet are red from all the happenings today. Let me remove your heels and you can have my shoes instead.” Without further ado, he stripped off his shoes and helped me put them on one at a time.

He was gentle. No speck of irritation could be seen on his face. It was as if he was afraid of hurting me.

My heart trembled. I took a long hard breath before I could pacify it. Though, my mind was in shambles.

He walked me to the gate of my house. Turning around to face me, he grinned. “We are here. You should rest. Today was a long day for you. You still have to face many problems tomorrow.

“Why are you good to me?” I hid my face because I didn’t want him to see my expression.

“Because I see loneliness in your eyes.”

Tsk. This bastard. “You didn’t know me!”

“I don’t but I am familiar with your look. The same look I have when my parents died.” He grabbed my hand and stared straight at my eyes.

“No person is born evil. You make mistakes only because of the pain haunting you until now. I was the same. I felt angry and lonely, and this hurt everyone around me before I changed. Thus, I don’t want you to experience it.”

My body became noodles. I couldn’t feel my limbs. Still, I tried to shove hard away from his hands. His grip became tighter, however.

“You are wrong! I did nothing.” I felt guilty but I considered what I did was a light prank. It was the people who were awful.

“It doesn’t matter if you are right or wrong.” His face became increasingly gentle.

“I believe in you.”

The wind blew, coursing through the surface of my skin. My breath got taken away. I gawked at him. The most beautiful face in the world… And his sincere words… It combined into a magical phenomenon that struck me as powerless. The feelings I kept burying over and over, finally surfaced in full glory.

1