Chapter 69 – Simon Dai
7 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 69 – Simon Dai

I was an orphan.

My adopted father took a liking to me because of my clear eyes. People said I was a good luck charm and so he bought me for a high price.

His luck skyrocketed to become a regular carpenter in the palace as soon as he got me. Things became easy for him which he thought was due to my fortune.

Nonetheless, I knew he had other plans for me if I didn’t really give any luck. There were many nobles who liked underage boys. He could also put me into an underground den and no one the wiser to what my fate would be.

I was still thankful for him regardless. A wise man who worked hard to survive. He might have crooked ideas but he fed me every day without a complaint. People loved him though because he always had a sunny smile and helped those in need.

Unbeknownst to them, he was hiding dark thoughts. Fortunately, he only used them as a last resort. In fact, he only bought me to exchange for medicine. He seemed to have a serious illness.

I also became street-smart because of him. No one in the neighborhood managed to swindle me. And I even got coupons for free meals. It was enough for us, father and son, to enjoy once in a while.

Still, my conscience stopped me from doing bad things. Instead, I acted against any injustice I see. Both the kid and teenage me rush to pain every time. Yep, pain. How do you expect me to know how to fight? I knew how to use a hammer. But I knew it would kill someone so I used my little fists. Heck, I no longer counted how much I got beat up by the bullies in the alley.

I stood up against them no matter how many times they put me down. Especially when I was fighting to protect someone.

The trembling body beside me had stopped. This made me panic. She seemed malnourish. I always saw her collecting bottles, cans, and boxes to sell. From what I remember, her name was Juliana. But these bullies robbed her money!

I embraced her before rushing toward the bullies. Their punches hit me but I endured their attacks and overrun them. I made a beeline toward the hospital.

Fortunately, the doctor said she was safe. But the hospital bill was too big for her to pay.

I put my father’s hammer on my shoulder and went towards a construction site. I begged the foreman there to let me join.

After a dozen months, I paid the hospital.

1