Chapter 75 – The hero becomes a dragon after slaying the dragon (3)
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 75 – The hero becomes a dragon after slaying the dragon (3)

Even when I entered the city, I could still feel gazes locked on my body.

Strangely, people kept avoiding me and they didn’t even bat an eye as they saw me walking. As if I was invisible.

I picked up my pace, all because I wanted to report the cleared mission so I could go home. I knew Karen was waiting for me and we also had the last quarrel to settle. So, my mind had already flown to my kingdom, separated by mountains and valleys.

As for Jessica, I let her settle in this kingdom of Iglesias so she would be far away from us. My wife was right. My kindness for Jessica could only reach up to this point. It was unfortunate though. She used to be one of my wife’s friends.

 But when I arrived on the next street, I met Jessica. Unexpected, I muttered. Nevertheless, I didn’t show any emotions but I stated that her lodgings and food were waived for the entire year. I even gave her money to start a business.

Yet she had the audacity to cling on to me. The woman said she loved me and she would do anything to make me fall in love! But my rejection made her hysterical with her mucus flying in the air!  She was making a scandal in broad daylight! Fortunately, people kept ignoring my presence so I happily dragged Jessica to the alley.

I berated her. This time I was angry. Not because of her, but because of myself for being kind to her which led to a fight with my wife

But her next words stumped me.

Heh! My wife sleeping with other men? Her pride and arrogance wouldn’t let anyone near her, let alone share a bed with others!

But for the sake of power… I could imagine it. This was what stumped me.

Her lust for power – I witnessed it time and time again. I could see her resisting herself because of me but I knew she was an active volcano ready to erupt at any time.

As a hero, I witnessed firsthand how the power of authority corrupts people. Even the power of chaos didn’t seem evil compared to the power of authority. At least, chaos only transformed a human into a mindless beast. But authority made a man rotten to the core!

But Karen sought power not because she wanted it. She needed it because of her fears and insecurities! On the outside, she was the most arrogant person in the world. But I knew how tiny and feeble she really was.

“You don’t have to believe me. But you will know. So, Simon, before it's too late… come with me.” Jessica pleaded.

But who am I? I’m not a heartless bastard. I knew if she said was true then Karen was forced because of circumstance. Thus, I had to save my wife.

I strode past her and rush to the palace. I needed to borrow a griffin from king Iglesias if I wanted to get home quicker.

But what I met was a ghost castle. No sound or shadows. I became deaf to how quiet the place was. But my nervousness to save Karen and my belief in my skills made me completely unaware of the impending danger.

Woosh.

When I entered the grand hall, I saw a can tumbling on the ground, creating ting sounds. Then black smoke exited from its orifice which pervaded the entire hall.

I only inhaled a little and my face changed in an instant!

Shit!

My feet leaped towards the nearest window in hurry. I could feel the power of chaos surging in my mind, trying to control me.

What was that smoke? How could someone store the power of chaos inside a measly can?

While mid-air, my face changed once again from what I saw. I felt sudden powerlessness when I saw an army encircling me. From their hands, I could see similar cans in their hands. Even the commoners were readying to throw something which I assumed were also cans.

A burst of self-deprecating laughter escaped my mouth.

1