Chapter 24: Before the Fall (Part 2)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As if expecting them, the two guards defending the road lunged forward, their faces painted with determination. With a silent understanding, Alec and Jaycee split up, their footsteps crunching on the ground as they each went to take on their own. While no words were spared, the friction in the air was enough to show how serious both sides were. That moment became life or death for either of them.

The soldier's arm swiped down, and Jaycee felt the heat of its passing. Part of his sleeve now sliced clean off. He felt a surge of adrenaline course through him, and he used that power to send the guard crashing to the ground. With his foot pressed firmly against the soldier’s back, he drove the hilt of his sword down into the soldier’s skull with a loud crack.

Jaycee spun around, a chill running down his spine as he saw the other guard barreling towards him. As he watched, the man fell forward, a thin trickle of blood oozing from where Alec's fan was lodged in his neck. Blood sprayed out from the wound like a fountain.

Alec's gaze was sharp and unforgiving, and his eyes held a bitterness that seemed undisturbed. It was times like these that Jaycee was truly afraid of the person in front of him. No matter how many times he took a life, Jaycee could never shake the feeling of dread that came with it.

“The town is just up ahead.”

Jaycee shook his head, ridding useless thoughts from holding him back. Who was he to judge, to put himself on a moral high ground?

With no time to spare, their presence most likely already known, they charged forward. With each step down the dirt path, they heard the chorus of birdsong from the densely packed wooden homes that lined either side. It was oddly peaceful, and yet Jaycee could perceive the hostility in the air.

Not much further in, a large mansion-like building stretched out before them. It was situated among derelict buildings, appearing incongruous to the homes nearby. While the buildings reminded Jaycee of an untouched historical site, the one in the center of it all stood out like a sore thumb.

“We finally made it. The village where the old legend came to fruition, Mors Villa.” Alec turned to Jaycee. “According to my sources, Agnar should be somewhere inside. This place has become his base of operations for a few years now.”

“I guess it’s my time to shine.” Jaycee sounded less-than thrilled. “It’s not as heavily guarded as I thought it would be.”

Alec huffed in amusement. “Well, according to their intel, we died days ago. Who else would be stupid enough to venture into enemy territory alone?”

Jaycee barely remembered their time in the cavern. As the memories came rushing back, sweat pooled on his neck, the nightmare he wanted to forget infesting his thoughts. Body after body piled on top of him—

“What’s wrong?” Alec’s warm hand brought him back to the real world. “You’re a little hot. I wonder if your fever is coming back. How do you feel?”

There was a light flutter in Jaycee’s chest at the touch. “I’m fine.”

As Alec was about to reply, a piercing whistle from ahead caught their attention. A group of howls came after it.

“Our welcoming committee is on its way. We should split up.” Alec must have seen the hesitation in Jaycee’s eyes, for he proceeded. “I won’t be far behind. I’m going to take care of the peons and guard dogs. Agnar must be in the main building. The top floor, if I’d have to guess.”

Jaycee griped his sword hilt tightly. “My debt to you will be paid off after this?”

“Yes. You’ll never have to see me again, if that’s what you desire.”

For some reason, his heart sank at those words. There was so much that Jaycee didn’t know about Alec. Although, it was too late for regrets. He had a job to do, and then he could finally go home. That is what he wanted. Right?

Alec gave him a light shove. “It’s time.”

Jaycee needed to focus. Unless he can fight and defeat the head of the Sheol military, nothing else would make a difference. He'd be deprived of returning home or meeting Alec ever again.

“I’ll be back,” said Jaycee. “Don’t die.”

He looked back one last time, filled with determination. Alec’s soft smile was all the energy he needed to turn and move forward. He wasn’t sure exactly what was going on between Alec and himself, but he can’t say he minded it.

“Here we go.”

The real fight had only just started. In the land of the legendary Dark Prince, the smell of fear and despair pervaded.

Without looking back, he shot straight ahead into an uncertain future.

0