Chapter 25: Before the Fall (Part 3)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jaycee was feeling anxious since he hadn't been left on his own for a while. The last time, he’d been behind bars, wallowing in his own self pity and blaming the world for his misfortunes. With nowhere to go and no one to turn to, he’d been staring at the tip of a blade. As he looked ahead to his future, he felt a sense of hope that he hadn't felt in a long time. Freedom was within reach.

He dared not look over his shoulder for fear he’d want to rush back and help Alec. They had a job to do, and it was up to him to fulfill his end of the bargain.

Jaycee watched his footing as he danced around fallen debris and uneven roads. The path was once full of personality, but the further he trekked, the more it seemed to fade away, leaving him alone with the sound of his own footsteps. No matter where he looked, it was more of the same. The atmosphere around Mors Villa felt cursed and foreboding.

By the time Jaycee reached the main building, the echoes of weapons clashing were no more. A barricade of debris lay in front of him, obstructing the entrance. The cobblestone path encircled the structure, leading to a pair of hidden doors nestled against stone pillars.

Just as his hand reached for the handle, a wave of nausea hit him, his stomach churning, and a sharp pain shooting across his forehead. The world around him became a hazy blur, much like looking up at the sky on a foggy morning.

“Maybe Alec was right,” Jaycee mumbled. He steadied himself, using the wall as support. His body only needed to hold out a little longer.

With a grunt, he threw his weight against the stone door and forced it open. The smoke and dust swirled about, stinging his eyes and clinging to his clothes. Jaycee assumed that the structure was a fire escape in the past, resembling ones he’d read in books back when he lived at home.

The inside was silent and lacked the guards he expected. Trekking further in, careful of where he stepped, led him to an open room with high ceilings that soared up. The flickering candles cast a warm glow around the room, illuminating the vibrant colors of the stained glass windows, sparkling as if brand new.

“What is this?” It looked like it could be a masterpiece from a long-forgotten era. Jaycee squinted, the light from outside unable to shine in, making it a challenge to piece the puzzle together.

What looked like a man with black wings hovered over a rock, with a tornado and lightning bolts surrounding him. The nearby homes were torn asunder, and the sky was a mix of black and reds. The artwork was a masterpiece, though its significance eluded him.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?”

Distracted, Jaycee didn’t hear the footsteps approach. Or they were very good at hiding their presence.

“It’s been a long time, Jaycee.”

The voice stepped out of the shadows, and with it a man he knew all too well. Although age didn’t take to him kindly, the greys peppering his hair were visible even from where Jaycee stood. His thick beard and silver armor were the same, however, making it impossible to not know who it was.

Jaycee gulped, voice shaky. “Agnar.”

0