3 – Is it wrong to have cheats this early?
9.7k 18 248
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After that emotional talk, Hestia went to sleep, fired up. She said that she had a job to do early in the morning selling potato puffs, so she needed to get some sleep.

I didn't mind... the main problem though was that we only had one bed. Or rather, one mattress and one sofa.

It was enough for the two of us, but she insisted that I take the mattress.

I wasn't about to let her do that though when she needed the rest more than me since she was getting up early, so I forced her to sleep on the mattress.

In the end, we made a compromise that I'd sleep in the mattress with her.

It was small, but it was big enough for the two of us considering how skinny my body was and how petite Hestia was.

But before then, I wanted to make some notes, so I stayed up.

Hestia's light breathing echoed from the floor nearby, a peaceful smile on her face. With that, I could see just how stressed she had been up until this point. Her expression right now was the same as someone who had a giant load taken off their shoulders.

I smiled and lightly brushed her hair. "Don't worry, Tia. You won't be lonely anymore."

Did she hear me? Or was she happy at the touch? Hestia smiled and then snuggled into the mattress more.

I smiled back and then looked at the book in front of me. The book that didn't exist.

"...Interesting."

I'd been curious. Well, that and since I'd committed to being an adventurer, I wanted to make preparations.

Tomorrow, I'd be heading to the Guild office to register as an adventurer. After that, I planned to head in the Dungeon to test things out... and make a bit of money to treat Hestia out for some good food to celebrate.

I could see her pained face that she had when she couldn't afford to provide a proper celebration for me joining.

It'd be nice to see her smile again after having a proper party... And also, she needed to eat better.

While she was clearly not a little girl, the fact that she was so short... and the fact that the only food around were cold fried potato puffs that were apparently left over after her job, she wasn't eating right. Even for a goddess, that was bound to take its toll.

So I planned to make some money to fix that problem.

But first...

I imagined a pen and then picked up the book.

It was odd. How should I describe it...?

Both of them didn't exist. If I stared at them hard enough or if I actually focused on what I was feeling, there was nothing there. But if I didn't, I could see and feel them.

Kind of like VR? It seemed to be a delusion that only I could see and use.

"Is this that compilation skill?"

Hestia explained that she didn't know what my status meant. I had a unique skill, magic, and two developmental abilities that she never heard of.

I had an inkling of what they were though.

Energy Manipulation definitely came about as a result of me being here. Since I was from a place without mana or divine powers... and since that place routinely used energy in everything we did, it seemed like that got translated as a skill somehow.

There were a lot of things I wanted to test out with that, but it was something for later.

Anyway, the book and pen.

I wanted to say it was my skill... but it might also be my magic.

"Quantum magic, huh?"

It seemed to be physics based magic... if that made sense. I didn't know how to use it, but there was a sort of... instinct? Reflex? That I had that wasn't there before.

Like... I could make things there and not at the same time.

Maybe it had something to do with quantum physics and how things existed in a constant flux when you went down to that level and how reality might actually just be indeterminate... or something.

Or maybe it was how energy was measured in 'quanta' and synergized with my Energy Manipulation ability?

Either way, definitely useful, but also something I didn't have the luxury to play with at the moment.

What I needed to focus on was my 'skill.'

"Liar's Phrase..." I muttered and started writing in my book.

It was similar. If I remembered right, Bell's skill was called 'Liaris Freese.'

That guy's skills increased his growth as long as his feelings lasted, and his feelings increased the effects according to how strong said feelings were.

But my skill...

Reality is nothing more than the lies we tell. Growth is determined according to the user's will. External influences are subsumed and overwritten.

That was the description.

Bell didn't know much about skills, and Hestia didn't either other than that they emerged from a user's 'story.'

In that case...

Was it because I wrote some stories in the past?

Growth was determined according to my will and external influences were subsumed and overwritten... It was a bit ambiguous, but it seemed like it was 'that.' If I thought it was possible, it was possible. If I thought it wasn't, it wouldn't be.

A powerful double-edged blade.

"...Right?"

Nobody answered me, but I was sure of it.

Like Bell, I got my own 'cheat' skill... No, from how similar the name was, I was certain that it was actually his, but changed. Corrupted.

His required unending ambition to strive for greater heights in order to fulfill his desires. First was to match the girl he fell in love with and later... Well, I didn't know what came later, but he would probably have grown to match up with the heroes he admired.

As for me... I needed 'arrogance.' The belief that I myself was the strongest. That there was always a way.

But fortunately, I was used to thinking like that. Or rather...

"I should be able to figure it out."

I was different from the people in this world. Or rather, I had a different 'common sense.'

Everyone believed in the power of the gods. They believed in humanity's weakness. That it was impossible to survive without their aid.

Not that I minded relying on divine power when it was there... but they shouldn't blindly trust in it.

What happened when the gods vanished?

Bell had read stories of the past. And so I knew about them. The dark ages before gods descended. How heroes rose up to stop the monsters and the gods came in response to those heroes.

If humanity... No, not just humanity. If the 'mortals' weren't prepared, then a situation like that could repeat itself. If there came a day where the gods were forced back to the Heavens, the Earth would be defenseless.

Because we were given 'Blessings.' And Blessings could always be taken away.

So...

"...I'll need to work on that."

I nodded to myself.

It was a long-term project. Something to slowly work on in the future.

But for now...

I yawned and took a look out the window.

It was dark, but I could see due to my new abilities. Or rather, to my 'awakened' abilities.

The moon was high in the sky, and night had long arrived.

"Mm. That's enough for now." I nodded and then went over to sleep on the bed.

Hestia stirred as I tucked myself in, but she didn't move much.

Well, she grabbed my arm and hugged it to her chest, but it wasn't that embarrassing.

...Maybe because I was shameless? Unlike Bell, I appreciated the skinship.

Eh.

I closed my eyes and went to sleep.

...Was it because I was tired? Before I knew it, I drifted off.

xxx

Hestia opened her eyes to the sound of birds chirping. And also to a young man's face inches from her own.

She immediately opened her mouth to scream. And then stopped, the events of yesterday flowing through her mind.

Afterwards, a warm smile crossed her face.

"Good morning, Bell."

He didn't respond, fast asleep.

Hestia's smile widened and then she stood up. Or she moved to stand up when she realized her position. "E-Eh?"

Her arms were entwined around his left arm. Not only that, but she had drawn it against her chest, using him as a pillow.

Seeing that, Hestia's face burned and she quickly untangled herself, jumping out of bed.

Even so, Bell didn't notice.

Seeing that, Hestia calmed down and she frowned, thinking about her new Familia member.

Bell Kranel. A young man who came to Orario with nothing else. Despite suffering misfortune throughout his life, when he met her he had nothing but a smile.

Well, that and a silver tongue that made him seem like a shameless flirt.

Remembering his compliments made Hestia feel warm again on her face, but she managed to calm down.

As she did, she thought about him a bit more.

Did he stay up late last night thinking? Or was he more exhausted than he let on? Either way, Bell was deep asleep and didn't even stir when she poked him a few times on the cheek.

"Bell..."

A handsome young man with striking looks and a confident demeanor. While young, he also seemed to carry a weight of maturity in his eyes that betrayed his age.

Was it because he had to grow up so soon?

In all honesty, Hestia thought it was a bit pitiful. But she didn't dwell on that fact.

If Bell didn't let it bother him, then she definitely didn't have the right to think to worry about it.

"Hah..." Hestia sighed and started getting ready for the day. "Is this what Hephaestus meant?"

The first child was always special. Even though Hestia wanted to have a large family like her friend Hephaestus...

"...It should be fine to stay like this awhile, right?"

Hestia blushed and remembered Bell's warm hand and reassuring smile.

"...Argh. What am I thinking?" She slapped her cheeks and nodded. "Let's go, Hestia! Even if you can't do anything else, you can at least do your job!"

Selling potato puffs for money, providing a warm home...

That much she could provide. And if Bell wanted to become an adventurer...

"...I'll make sure he returns to a warm house."

She could give him her bright smile and a welcome back.

But first, her job!

xxx

I was dreaming. No, was it a dream, or a memory?

It was a distant past. Goblins had come to attack the village.

During that time, 'I' was small and scared. I couldn't do anything and just hid.

In the end, I had to be saved by Grandpa.

...Was it then? That I desired to be a hero?

To cheer me up, Grandpa told stories. People of the distant past, great heroes who stood before great dangers and fought off monsters. Not only that, but people who had ladies fall for them left and right.

He always emphasized that part.

But it didn't matter to me.

...It was definitely a memory. But at the same time, it wasn't.

I was seeing it both as Bell and myself.

So I could judge it.

...Oi. Bell. You know, being a hero isn't that great.

Because heroes were only heroes when people believed them to be.

And because of that, heroes could only save some people. No, they ignored others in order to save those in front of them.

Every story had two sides.

One villain was a hero to another and vice versa.

The hero who slayed the dragon terrorizing the village... Who was to say the village wasn't disturbing the dragon? What if the dragon was in the right?

If the hero changed his mind, he would instantly become the villain.

So... I didn't want that.

A 'hero.' That didn't matter to me.

If I could protect the people I cared about. If I did what I thought was right.

Even if I was marked a 'villain' by others, I would be fine as long as I did what my conscience said.

So...

248