52 – Is it wrong to hate yourself?
3.6k 19 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was a disaster. A day reminiscent of the Dark Period when Evilus acted with impunity within Orario. And in fact, many people thought that the day marked the return of Evilus.

There were too many lives lost. Innocent civilians, newbie adventurers, tourists from outside Orario... While the response from the top Familia like the Loki Familia, Hephaestus Familia, and the Freya Familia was swift, it wasn't swift enough.

More than that, countless people were blaming the Ganesha Familia for the disaster. They said that the only reason it happened was because monsters were brought to the surface. Even though it was something that no one could predict, people looked to pin the blame on someone. People tried to find a villain in the story.

But at the same time, people also found heroes.

The obvious ones were the high level adventurers like <Sword Princess> Ais and <King> Ottar who went out of their way to help. But some other notable people emerged as well.

Miach and Naaza's efforts in making and providing healing potions at a loss to save lives spread throughout all of Orario.

Rumors spread about three children who possessed incredible power, taking out monsters left and right as if they were playing a game.

Stories of a beautiful blonde elf who soared through the skies with a magic sword at her side to cut down monsters and those who tried to take advantage of the chaos emerged.

Then there was the tale of the youngest Crozzo blacksmith running through the city with Lady Hephaestus while wielding a magic sword that didn't break no matter how much he used it.

But there was a tale- No, a myth spreading that was even more incredible.

A man with crimson eyes and ashy white hair. One who looked like a demon or death incarnate, garbed in pitch black armor laced with bloody light. A man who looked like a reaper of souls... but instead of reaping the souls of Orario, he took the souls of the monsters that emerged from the underworld.

Towering pillars that fell from the sky. Golden light that tore monsters apart. Saving lives without a thought while fearlessly facing off against the most terrifying of foes.

Some said that he used a cursed crimson spear. Others said that he struck down monsters with a barrage of swords. More still said he used grand magic that shot golden beams of pure light, like an angel from Heaven. And even more said that no matter what manner of attack flew towards him, he survived it without a scratch and sent the exact same attack back towards his opponent.

But no matter what the story, the consensus was the same. That man was a Hero. A dark hero who emerged as the forgotten Dark Period of Orario began to creep back in.

xxx

"...And that's what they're saying about Bell, Eina!" Misha smiled and said, "Looks like your Adventurer's making his way up in the world. Aren't you glad?"

"Shut up and pour me another glass, Misha."

"Hehe."

The lounge in the Guild Hall. There, Eina was taking a break with her coworker after having to do a gauntlet of paperwork in the aftermath of the Monsterphilia incident.

Of course, even when she took a break, she couldn't really get rid of the stress that had dropped into her life recently.

Misha poured Eina a glass of wine and then said, "Are you sure you want to drink this stuff though? Don't elves have something against impure things?"

Eina took the glass and said, "For the record, I'm a half-elf. And even if we do..." She drained the glass and said, "Does it look like I care right now?"

Misha poured herself a glass too and shrugged. "Fair." Sipping on her wine, she said, "Now's as good a time as ever to start drinking. Especially considering..." She looked over Eina's shoulder towards the other Guild Staff.

Eina didn't. Mostly because she already knew what was happening.

"...I guess it's been a while since so many newbie adventurers died, huh?"

Eina grabbed the bottle from Misha and poured herself another glass.

Grief. Despair. Denial.

It was something that all Dungeon Advisors dealt with. The moment that relationship began was only a countdown towards the day that they said farewell.

Everyone knew that. Even so, it was easy to forget when your adventurer returned everyday safe and sound. Easier still when the adventurer you were advising seemed to be on track.

And it was something that Eina knew all too well considering her track record.

...But was it because of that?

This time, it was her adventurer who came back alive. Not only that, but while countless people died, he thrived and saved countless others.

Bell, that ridiculous idiot who kept causing her no end of stress but also kept doing the impossible.

The supposedly naive kid that all her coworkers bet would die within the month had lived while their adventurers had died.

Eina sipped on her wine and said, "I guess turnabout is fair play."

It was wrong, but she couldn't help but feel satisfied at seeing them suffer after all they said about her own adventurers.

"True." Misha nodded and sipped on her own wine.

Eina looked over and said, "How's Cassie? Did she stay safe?"

"Mmhm." Misha waved her hand and said, "Bell's interpretation of her prophecy helped her out a bit and she managed to interpret a bit of another one. Something about a the last hero being a compilation of stories... Didn't really make sense, but she just sent a message saying she was safe at home when everything went down."

"That's good." Eina took another sip of her wine and said, "Although that's probably going to make it harder for her in her Familia isn't it?"

Misha frowned and said, "...Maybe." She sighed and took a deep drink from her glass. "I hate how we can't do anything about that. What's the whole point of establishing order if the Guild can't intervene with gods forcing mortals into Familia against their wishes? Like, have you heard the rumors about the Soma familia? Stuff like that... Ugh."

Eina shook her head and said, "We just have to listen to what Lord Ouranos says and do our jobs to keep our adventurers safe."

"Right, right." Misha drained her glass and said, "Because only 'Heroes' can change Orario. The rest of us schmucks just have to go along with the flow. Hah..."

Eina let out a wry smile and said, "Yes. Though..." She swirled her wine around in her glass and muttered, "Is that worth being a hero?"

Bell was famous now. Although the people didn't know it was him just yet, the gods surely did. And with all the tales going around, even if only a fraction of them were true, he'd be the number one target in Orario.

But he was just level one. A newbie adventurer. Even if he had ridiculous skills and magic that let him do all of this, and even if he had read all the books and law that she gave him, there were still parts of his knowledge that fell short.

Like the fact that laws didn't really matter to gods when they were truly interested. Or the depths they might resort to in order to obtain what they want.

In that case...

Eina drained her glass and then stood up.

"Eina?" Misha looked up and said, "Going back to work already?"

"Yes." Eina adjusted her glasses and looked over at her grieving coworkers. Seeing that firmed her resolve and she said, "I have a lot to do in order to not end up like them."

Which Familia might be the worst opponents. Which Familia had been rumored to resort to unsavory means. Which Familia would simply attempt to strong arm. Adventurers and their weaknesses...

It was clear now.

The danger to Bell wouldn't come from within the Dungeon, but instead from outside. So then, to do her job properly and help him grow-

The sound of doors slamming open, shortly followed by the sound of boots clattering against the tiled floor.

Eina flinched and looked towards the main entrance to see a beautiful woman with silver hair walk in.

The woman's lacy black dress drifted around her as she moved, flowing almost like smoke. Not only that, but her silver bangs shifted too, revealing a pair of mismatched gray and green eyes.

An immediate response.

Some guild employees stood up in anger at her impudence.

Others glanced over in curiosity before going back to work.

But one person reacted differently. An older and fat elf man who was overseeing everyone and making sure they were keeping on task.

When he saw the person who walked in, his green eyes widened and he took a step back with his short legs. "Y-Y-You...?!"

"Ah." The woman reached up to adjust her bangs and smiled. "Royman Mardeel... Are you still the head of the guild?"

"<Silence>... You were alive?!"

"I was alive... Yes. I was indeed. Now, it has been a while and numerous events occurred... but I would like to renew my Adventurer's license." She let out a smile and then released a heavy pressure on the surroundings. "...The Guild is neutral in all affairs. So there should be no problem even after my dark history, should there?"

Seeing the woman and her haughty attitude, Eina should have been upset. Even if that woman was someone famous who the Guild Head recognized, with everything that happened, that attitude shouldn't be tolerated.

But...

There was something about the way she talked and acted that was familiar. Showing up in the tailwind of a giant mess and dropping a bomb onto everything to create an even bigger mess-

Ah.

"Bell?"

Right. It reminded Eina of Bell.

And then Eina realized that she said that name outloud and froze.

But the woman had already noticed it and vanished.

Eina blinked, and then the woman was suddenly standing in front of her letting out a faint smile.

"U-Um..."

The woman's smile grew wider and she said, "You mentioned my son's name. I take it you are an acquaintance? No, since you spoke his name so casually... Are you his dungeon adviser?"

"Y-Yes? But... Son?"

The woman nodded and said, "That is correct. Bell... Kranel." She mumbled and said, "That should be the surname of that coward..." She shook her head and said, "In any case, yes. He is my son. And I am Alfia, formerly known as <Silence>."

Alfia.

...Alfia? Formerly known as <Silence>?

...Wait.

Pages that Eina had photoread from the skill Bell taught her came to mind. Notes from books that she had meant to read long ago and only recently had the chance to review.

The Dark Period of Orario. Evilus. The Evil God Erebus who was at the root of it all.

And the two who helped him the most, a pair of Orario's greatest adventurers who had fallen to the dark side...

One of them was Zald from the Zeus Familia, alias <Gluttony>.

And the other. A woman from the Hera Familia who was so powerful that her nicknames even among the top adventurers of the Zeus and Hera Familia were 'Incarnation of Talent' and 'Monster of Calamitous Talent'...

Yes. That woman's name had been Alfia, alias <Silence>.

There hadn't been any portraits, but there *had* been a pretty clear description.

And the woman in front of her...

Staring at Alfia's smiling face, Eina groaned and said, "Well. That explains a lot..."

xxx

Back at the Hestia Familia home. Specifically, in the basement room at the bottom of the church.

A lot had happened, and there was a lot that I needed to talk about with my family. But before all of that, there was one pressing matter that I needed to address first before things blew up down the line.

And that...

'I told you already. Thou art I, and I am thou.'

"Stop fucking with me, you bastard. I appreciate you helping out when I was getting on my feet with those monsters, but all this?" I waved my hand and said, "The whole mysterious 'I know something you don't' deal? It's gotta go. And I swear to god- No, I swear to all of existence that if you don't explain yourself I'll figure out a way to make you real, turn you into a guy if you aren't, and then kick you in the nuts until you beg for me to stop."

'Fine, fine. I guess it's fair since you've granted my wish.'

"Huh?"

Wish?

...Wait.

Hold the fuck on.

A hazy figure started to emerge. One that didn't exist, but at the same time did. Like the notebooks and things I made with Compilation a long time ago.

As for what that figure looked like-

A face that looked like mine. Crimson eyes the exact same color. And a smug ass grin that reeked of 'I know more than you.'

"Nice to meet you, Bell. I'm-"

"I swear to god if you say you're a version of me from an alternate timeline where you became the last hero but failed to beat the final boss in the dungeon and tried regressing back in time at the cost of your life then I'm going to put my fist THIS far up your ass until you and the world starts making sense."

"...Um."

I cracked my knuckles and took a step forward.

"W-Wait! I can explain!"

"MEN TALK WITH FISTS! NOW GRIT YOUR TEETH AND LISTEN!"

96