Chapter 5: Adopted
434 1 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sister opened her eyes to see the same woman from earlier carrying her down a brightly lit hallway. The woman had dark-green hair and pure white eyes. While the sister was examining the strange looking eyes in front of her, the woman took notice and began to speak.

 

"It's ok, you're safe. We'll get you somewhere comfortable soon. Please just bear with it for a little while longer," she said with a tired smile. When she looked backed up, the dark circles on the woman's face seemed to grow especially dark.

 

This would be really touching if it were happening to anyone other than me. I'm still touched, but the additional context of my mind being in this childlike body diminishes the feeling somewhat. Regardless, I'm rambling again. It must be some sort of effect caused by the universe messing with my head. It's honestly starting to make me angry.

 

While lost in her thoughts, the woman brought the sister to a new shelter room.

 

"I have a baby we rescued from the hospital. She was the only survivor. With how young she is, it's safe to assume that her parents are dead."

 

A bored looking man glanced up from his clipboard after making a tally mark.

 

"Got it. Do you have a name for the child?" he asked.

 

"No, most of the hospital was razed to the ground so I'm doubt many documents were preserved," the woman shook her head.

 

"Well, I'll just come up with something random, then. You can-"

 

"Wait!"

 

Just as the man was about to put his pen to the paper, the woman shouted at him.

 

"If you're just going to half-ass it, I'll name her myself!"

 

"Are you going to adopt her as well?" the man raised an eyebrow and stared.

"Maybe I will! This girl is the only survivor from such a horrible disaster scene. I'm the one who found her. Though it's strange to admit, I feel some sort of force telling me to care for this child," the woman stood her ground, each leg firmly planted a shoulder's width apart.

 

"Natsu, you've just gained some status within the Hyuga clan. If you do this, they'll surely make your life difficult."

 

"It's fine," she pondered for a moment, "Mikoto here will surely be welcomed in the clan. I can just sense it."

 

The man shook his head.

 

"If you say so. Just be careful. I'm sure she'll be harassed by both elders and children alike. It's no life for a child to live. You've already decided on a name, she can still be sent to the orphanage."

 

"I'll protect her, don't worry."

 

With a nod, the man sent Natsu off. She then took a series of winding paths, eventually making her way to a large compound that was currently bustling with activity.

 

"Natsu! Welcome back, how were things on the frontline?" a rather stern looking man asked. However, before Natsu could answer, he noticed the baby in her arms and immediately asked a new question, "Why is there a baby with you? What do you plan to do with it here?"

 

Natsu took a deep breath before speaking.

 

"Clan head, I would like to take charge of this child. She was the only survivor in the hospital ruins, a place so thoroughly destroyed that not a single other person could survive. I believe that she must have some sort of fate, both to live and to meet me. She will be a great kunoichi one day, I promise."

 

"Natsu, you may believe that you are favored simply because your status has risen recently, but do you understand the implications of trying to bring an outsider into our clan? Before you answer, also consider this, do you think a woman who has brought in an outsider with no Hyuga blood will be treated well by the family? Your status will fall to the dirt in mere moments if you try to force this issue. Not only that, but do you think this child will receive any affection from other family members? She will be an outcast. She will certainly be treated even worse than a servant. You will not only be ruining your own life, but ruining this child's as well. Consider your actions once more, Natsu."

 

The clan head glared at Natsu, but she still stood, rooted to the spot.

 

"I understand, clan head. I've steeled my resolve and I'm willing to protect this child to the very best of my abilities. I'm even willing to receive our cursed seal."

 

"…I see. You've made up your mind. If you understand the consequences and are still willing to make such a foolish decision, perhaps I was wrong to ever put my faith in you. Do as you wish. You will no longer receive training and will be reassigned to a maid's position. As mentioned, you will be given a cursed seal. Though you will not be exiled, you will not be allowed to leave the clan compound for the next five years. Now, you are dismissed."

 

"Yes, clan head."

 

Natsu bowed before walking towards a building in one of the more remote areas of the compound. She entered into a small building. The interior only had three rooms: a bathroom, a kitchen, and a bedroom. She set Mikoto down on the bed.

 

"It's okay, little Mikoto. Things may be difficult right now, but I promise I'll protect you. Just wait a little longer while I go find some food for you."

 

Natsu stood up and left Mikoto in the room.

 

The clan head was certainly a character. I'll have to be careful of that cruelty of his. It seems like life is going to be difficult for a few years. Well, I've gone through worse; I do still feel bad for Natsu, though. I won't forget the debt I owe her, even after she takes her last breath. Still, I'm surprised she chose the name Mikoto. It's such a nostalgic name… Oh, I should go tell my foxy friend about my new name.

 

Mikoto's consciousness flew away to the recesses of her mind once more.

 

Am I using universal interference as a way to let the main character ramble about things so I can cheaply let the reader know about the world in some way or another? Yes. Yes I am.

21