Chapter 101
1.3k 44 37
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey,
I know it's been a long while since the last chapter. I've been struggeling with my depression and used reading to disassociate (binged all chapters of Mech Touch. Great story if you skip the Bright-Vesia war), I'm sorry for not telling you guys. I just didn't have the energy at first and felt guilty to do so without posting the next chapter later on. My anxiety pretty much kicked me away everytime I thought about it (bless my social anxiety disorder). I did finish editing the first volume of the novel during that time. It's only for patreons for now and I want to publish it on amazon kindle too, I just get a panic attack everytime I try doing so alone and have to organize some shit with the Finanzamt too, so that might take a while.

This chapter wasn't exactly easy to write either, because of the personal problems I put in it. Sorry again.

I also decided to put Rise of the Antanoid on HIATUS for some time. The reason for that being my mental health and that there are a few things that I need to clear for the story such as the technology level of the humans and that depends on how I do things in this novel so once I got figured out how much magitech mana density 1 can support there won't be new chapters. Hopefully Raamc progresses faster because of that so that the break isn't too long.

I will try to write more often again, but I can't promise anything since my mood is pretty unstable.
Enjoy!

“Ahem, so about the army, will there be any problems?” Argul quickly pushed the conversation onwards, partly to prevent an awkward situation and partly to overshadow her indecisiveness to hug her daughter. She really wanted to, but she wasn’t sure if it was appropriate and if Alyra was okay with it. 

For a normal person this might not be a problem, but Argul was anything but normal and sadly, her humanoid avatar came with a lot of mental baggage from her previous life attached. Not knowing how to deal with human social interaction was deep ingrained into her subconsciousness and the longer she stayed humanoid the more her issues resurfaced.

This wasn’t to say that Argul hated her humanoid avatar. Similar to her fox form it had its pros and cons and the one she appreciated the most was that it wasn’t that tall. Hands weren’t a necessity when one had magic.

Thankfully for Argul her daughter made the decision for her and snuggled against her side before she answered.

“Hmm, it really depends on how you define problems.” Alyra rolled her eyes at her mother. “Even with your mana output you won’t hear anything from the military for a few days. They are pretty much occupied taking over the city and have to clear out parts of the ghost town to relocate some people from Sacra there. Without modern technology they are unable to supply the whole capital with food. Though, what really keeps them back is the church. They called first dibs on you.”

Argul let out a defeated sigh when she heard that. The church was way worse of a problem to deal with, at least in her opinion.

Since she didn’t go out much and the people who visited the inn tended not to be the religious and overly zealous kind, Argul didn’t have a lot of personal experience when it came to dealing with the current church. Going by what Alyra ranted about every now and then though, it was going to be a pain in the ass, though this time it would be the god who was at fault for that. Argul essentially viewed Meran, the both of them, as entitled arrogant little brats who were disguising themselves as grown ups. One of them was just a tad more violent.

Argul wasn’t sure what they wanted from her, however, it was likely that they wanted her to join, which she would not do. In about 3 weeks she would leave Newport, with or without the approval of the authorities.

“When exactly are they going to visit?”

“Hmm, the church is sending one of their bishops to talk with you and he has to travel to Newport from Sacra first, so likely in two days. Barring any incidents that increase their urgency they won’t bother coming earlier.” Alyra gave Argul a meaningful glance, which she chose to ignore.

Instead, she nodded to herself with a bit of satisfaction. If that was the case she would have tomorrow to enchant the plate of analyze.

The two of them stayed silent for some time, simply enjoying each other's company. Neither of them were really worried about how things would turn out, only severely annoyed.

After a few minutes Alyra spoke up again, with a hint of tension and worry in her voice. “Mom, if I did something bad, would you still love me?”

The question surprised Argul and she looked at her daughter. Out of all existences out there, Alyra, she had expected least of all to ask her that. As the being of mana and her daughter, didn’t she know everything, even thoughts?

Perhaps that was not so and just one of Argul’s many assumptions.

Even so, it was not exactly a difficult question to answer for Argul and she simply started to scratch her daughter behind her ears.

“No matter what you do, I will always love you, Aly. I might get angry or disappointed, sure, but at the end of the day that won’t change my deepest feelings.” She smiled.

Argul had two major opinions on the topic. First, love is a choice. If the only thing that keeps a pair together is sexual attraction then they have failed. And second, children deserve unconditional love from their parents. If the parents weren’t ready for that, they shouldn’t have a kid in the first place.

Argul didn’t really have a choice in the latter since Alyra came a bit unexpected, that didn’t keep her from staying true to those two ideals however.

After listening to her mum, Alyra hugged her fiercely. “Thanks mum!”

Argul smiled and poked her daughter teasingly. “So, what did you actually do?”

There was no way that someone would ask such a question just because, right?

At least Argul thought that if one was already that insecure they wouldn’t ask this in fear of inconveniencing the other person or coming across as weird. She had more than enough experience in this from her previous life to be somewhat of an expert, though she definitely didn’t take pride in it.

“Uhh…” Alyra released her and looked away, avoiding eye contact with Argul.

“Have you ever wondered about how your core and subsequently the system came to be?”

Argul had to think about that for a bit, because she really hadn’t until this very moment and was still inclined not to do so. Why would she?

When she had regained her senses as a mana core, she had been at her lowest point in life. Though her financial situation had been stable, her mental health had long since given up. So, depressed as Argul had been, she hadn’t even thought about questioning the second chance in front of her, that she desired oh so much, too heavily.

Sure, her body was obviously not natural, but so what? 

The starting point of the system, too, was a bit iffy as well as how and why Alyra chose a dungeon-style setting, but at the time everything was foggy and more like a dream to Argul, so she didn’t question things. Later she had just forgotten about it or simply accepted it as her new reality.

Alyra wasn’t sure whether she should be happy or dejected after listening to her mum. For one, it was great news that she enjoyed her new life and found something that she enjoyed. It was a great improvement compared to her condition in her previous life. Quite literally universes apart. 

On the other hand though, her mothers lack of suspicion towards her situation was not exactly praiseworthy. Then again, depressed and suicidal people were probably the last who would care about their situation in such great detail and one didn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, so perhaps Alyra shouldn’t bother about it.

She let out a deep breath and looked at the ceiling.

“To begin, I think we can both agree that something created you and that you aren’t some weird cosmical phenomenon. However, what you probably didn’t think about is that I, too, was created by that being, only that it used the energy you generate, mana, to make me.” Alyra gave her mother a look.

“So, what you are saying is that you have a, a dad?” She nodded.

Argul was genuinely surprised by this for a few moments before an acted look of horror washed over her face and she let out a groan. “Oh goodness, I got raped as a man by some alien and then even gave birth! And to top it all off, I never noticed!”

“Pfffh.” Alyra laughed at this. She couldn’t help it.

Argul smiled, satisfied that her joke worked. She was content with her current life, so she didn’t worry about whatever her daughter had done and thus didn’t take the situation seriously.

Alyra took a few breaths to calm down again and shook her head in amusement. “Anyway, I have no idea what changed you and created me. What I do know is that immediately after I was created our birth universe reacted violently to your presence and threw us away somehow through something, that felt like nothing at the same time. We didn’t even take a second to arrive in Lotusriver so the sensation was only brief, but I guess we were between universes at that moment.”

Argul hummed thoughtfully to herself. This was interesting information and she concurred with her daughter's theory, but it wasn’t something she could make use of for quite some time.

Neither was it something Alyra had to be guilty about for that matter. “So?”

“Well, Fia subsequently locked you away as you already know and then-” Alyra bit her lip and looked away. “Then I prevented your core from growing and used the mana to fuel the system instead.”

Argul looked at the tense body of her daughter for a moment and then hugged her gently. “It’s okay dear, I don’t mind.”

Alyra quivered in guilt, but also frustration because she already knew the answer to her question. “But why! Why don’t you care mom?!”

Argul caressed her head and gave her a kiss between her ears. “Because for all that I think about the future, get excited about it and make plans, I don’t have ambition. You could have kept me on the first floor and I would have been content as long as you were happy.”

This was something that she had never told anyone, but perhaps the one biggest reason for the end of her previous life. Ambition was, after all, the creed that every child got taught in a capitalist society passively, subconsciously without being aware of it. An ambitious worker had more motivation, did more and thus, was a better worker.

Argul however, had been empty her whole life in that regard. She didn’t want big things and didn’t have big dreams. That made her the odd one out and, while no one else noticed it, she herself got pressured at every possible turn. She didn’t understand the people around her, where they got their energy and motivation from and had to lie every day about her future dreams. She had none after all.

A different child would have told the truth perhaps, but not her. She had witnessed what happened to those who didn’t fit in when her big brother got bullied in school very early on in her life and from that moment on, she buried the truth deep inside of herself, for she didn’t want that to happen to her. It wasn’t a conscious decision, kids rarely did those, and simply happened.

Argul had always wondered if her life would have been different if she had been born in a different time, a time where parents taught their craft to their children. She would simply help her family and take over once her parents got too old and live her life passively like that. Modern day work that way sadly and the more she was confronted with fitting in, finding a job, a family and work until she died, the more overwhelmed she became until everything came crashing down after she graduated from her A-levels.

It was all history now and even better, she didn’t have to fit in with human society anymore. That alone was such a heavy relief that she wouldn’t have cared if her daughter kept her weak. The only difference to her previous life was that she wanted her daughter to be happy, that was her ambition.

Something wasn’t quite right with Alyra’s story though. As far as Argul knew, her daughter was like a modern AI in that she couldn’t create original things, so how did she make the system?

37