Beyond Knowledge Chapter 10 – The World Outside III
108 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Thin, elegant, and precision. A simple stroke, removing a silver wolf's head from its body, hitting the ground with a thump as it failed to escape the blade. 

Attacking it above the neck would’ve damaged the useful ingredient; the eyes, tongue, and horns. Below the neck and the most valuable part was the hide, perfect for light leather armor, but everything else was useless, including the meat. It was vile to the taste and poisonous to the stomach. 

“Think we won’t hunt your kind since you're poisonous? Think again, creature.” Laira leaned down, inspecting the catch. The toxicness had been a recent addition to the species 10 years ago, a survival mechanism for the mass hunting. It worked pretty well, but it’s nothing for a [Entity Hunter]. Well, two [Entity Hunter]s.

A towing figure stood over Laira, adorned with a comically large double-sided axe. The head spanned a third of the handle, making for a lengthy bit, but it remained a hand’s width from the handle’s center. It didn’t see use in this hunt, normally reserved for the less precise operations. 

“It’s perfect. Yes! Good enough for a month's expenses.” Laira said, finishing the initial inspection. 

“Uh.” Hurack grunted, softer than normal. 

Laira turned, sensing something a bit off to his normal ‘sound of agreement.’ “Huh, you ok?” Hurack turned the silver wolf laying on the ground, flexing his hand around the axe’s handle. 

Ahhhh, oh brother. “Oh, come on Hurack. Expenses first, then the more exciting missions.” Laira said, realizing what was wrong. It had been happening more and more lately, the feeling of uselessness haunting over his mind, so Hurack turned away from Laira’s look. 

“Uh!” He grunted again, uncomfortable at his sister's stare. 

“Haaaa.” Laira signed and stood up, walking right over to where Hurack was looking, blocking his wonderful view of the 10 odd trees. “Look!” Laira said, putting either hand onto his cheeks, preventing him from looking away again. 

“I know… I know… It doesn't matter. I’ll be here for you, forever and always. It wasn’t your fault that we had to move again. It was that bald headed merchant fucker, making our lives difficult.” Hurack darted his eyes down to the ground, trying to look at anywhere but his sister. 

“You will always be with me and I’ll always be with you. Iginet may not be on our side, but we don’t need luck. We’ll forge our own path, through thick and thin. So stop moping around and let’s get this done, something to put your mind off it, ya?” Laira asked. 

Hurack let his eyes wonder, eventually finding some courage to look his sister in the eyes. “How many times have you saved me? And how many times will you do so in the future?” Laira said, making him feel better about himself

It hadn’t been the smoothest journey the past few weeks, but they’ve been through much worse, so it wasn’t anything they couldn’t handle. 

Both would’ve given their lives for the other, a brother-sister bond for life, but it’s always been difficult for Hurack to communicate since birth. Something that would never change, but Laira didn’t need words, because this is who Hurack was. The Hurack who’s carried her incompasitated body away from danger. The Hurack always by her side, giving her confidence from his presence alone. 

A presence that stood against the tide of the world. 

“Hurack…” Laira removed her hands, pulling him into the biggest bear hug she could give. If her words couldn’t tell her feelings, then surely, her actions could. And soon enough, the pair of enormous arms wrapped around Laira. After the moment passed, Laira looked up. “Feeling better?” 

He nodded, the sad look gone, replaced by the one known as ‘Laira’s rock.’

 


 

The sun rose over Graycott as the city flowed to life. Carriages pulled by horses passed through the gates, carrying cloths, grains, metals, and wood. They shook and complained about the goods weighing them down, but they continued nonetheless. 

Groups of varied armored-like individuals left the town at first light, no doubt expecting a long day ahead of them as they carried large sacks. Others set up shop along the main road, selling food and other quick essentials. 

Light peaked through the window, creeping onto my face. My eyelids stuttered awake as the sun pierced through. I sat up, shielding my eyes with one hand as I attempted to remember where I was. With my head cocked to one side, the thoughts failed to flow through, just staring at the wall. 

It took a few, but my mind twitches awake. “Oh right, I’m at the Inn.” With a groggy voice. 

I collapsed back onto the bed with my eyes shut, wanting to use up every second of rest I had. It would’ve been perfect, but the feeling of grit stuck in my clothes ruined it, so I begrudgingly got back up with my muscles, pushing, feeling weak. “Haaaaaa.”

Not having the chance last night, I looked around. A simple straw bed wrapped in a brown thatch cover atop a wooden platform, a table and chair sitting across the room, and a bucket next to the door. 

Simple accommodations for a simple purpose. 

I stood up, stretching my arms by reaching outwards as I let out a yawn in accompaniment. “Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.” A stutter of surprise escaped my throat, realizing something 

My bag remained strapped across my back through the night. “How tired was I?” I removed the bag, placing it next to the bed. 

“Time to clean up.” I stripped down and moved over to the water bucket and rag, sitting on the nearby chair. With the wet rag in hand, my head hung and my eyes shut again. I just accepted it and sat there naked, not really thinking, but accepting the comfort of sleep. 

I don’t know how long I sat there, but the coldness of the air brushed along my skin, adding discomfort. It works as it overcomes the comfort of sleep, making me move once again. 

With each wipe of the rag, the water turned cloudy, but my skin returned to a healthy color after the day of travel, kidnapping, and being a prisoner. Now somewhat refreshed and awake, I prepared myself to leave for the day by adorning only a single set of clothes. They felt kinda nasty with the dirt returning to my skin, but a net positive with the warmth it brings.

An unknown town and my missing memories put an arduous task ahead of me. Ok, let's set the goal to gather some information about the area and get some supplies. Not sure what I need, but I’ll see what the 8 gold and 6 silver can get me. 

I exited the room and headed down the stairs. The wood bent beneath my feet, but my attention was elsewhere in the filled room, with patrons eating soup and bread at the many tables. The innkeeper dashed around to deliver and clean. Might as well, since I didn’t do it yesterday.  

[Human Innkeeper]

[Age: 38]

An Innkeeper and her age. [Identify Soul] was based on capability. Whoever had more ‘capability’ can identify more of the other, but what ‘capability’ means was a whole other mystery.

Several patrons finish their meals before getting up and leaving. Some carry weapons attached to their waist and others just wear linen outfits with bags leaned against the table. 

Just as I took my last step down the stairs, the innkeeper turned around and gestured to me, having eyes on the back of her head. The innkeeper spoke with a smile and joyous attitude, “Food will be over shortly!” Nodding back and sitting down at the gestured table.

The wood grain pricked my fingers as I brushed my hand along the wooden top. The worn lines show the table age, but the sturdy construction says it can definitely take a beating. 

Not paying attention, a clink sound resonated in front of me. Looking up, I saw my meal, the same bread and soup as the other patrons. “Let me know if you want seconds, but that’ll cost you 3 copper.” She immediately moved to another table, serving the other guests coming down the wooden stairs.

A steam rose off the bread and the smell was nothing special, but it gets the job done if you're starving. The soup was mixed with various grains. Not the most appealing, but I guess it’s what a free meal gets you. 

The meal went quick and as my plates emptied; I asked for seconds with my hand raised to signal the innkeeper, and I handed over a silver coin. She took it and returned with another meal and 7 copper in hand.

“Here is your change. Let me know if you need anything else!” She smiled with her vibrant teeth showing through, remaining plastered on her face as she dashed around. Truly a perfect attitude for the job, well she has the innkeeper class, so that probably helps.

I should have enough for some simple accessories, at the very least, considering the cost of this meal. Chowing down on my seconds, I overhear some conversations from behind. 

“Ya hear anything ‘bout the weather yet?” The simple voice asks. 

“Nothin much, they say it’s harder this year, not sure why.” A clearer voice responded. 

“Ya come on, stick the city lord on them. That’ll get it fixed!” He said.

“He’s a busy person, but I agree. It’ll mess everything up if we don’t know. How do they expect us to do our jobs when the rain is killing us?” 

“Iler’ ask her again ‘ater.” 

Is a storm coming or something? And something with the city lord needing to personally handle it to protect against the killer rain? The confusion sat on my face before I turned around to face the individuals, but it’s too late as I saw them just leaving their table, both wearing gate guard outfits. Or, at least close enough to it, can’t remember the details.

Welp, another task for the to-do list. I left the finished dishes on the table and made my way to the exit. The day’s ahead and my goals, somewhat established. I didn’t exactly know which direction to head, so I went where my legs decided to take me. 

Everything already seemed in full swing as people filled the streets. Some were off the side conversing, while others walking with a purpose in mind. 

The pottered brick road rocked the passing carriages as they bumped along with their wooded wheels. I let the scenery pass before me, trying to take everything in. Adjusting to everything my senses bring in. 

Hmmm, you know what, after my first adventure of being chained to a wall and at the mercy of a crazed, temperamental half mushroom man, this ain’t too bad. 

I’ll need to get familiar with everything and find a way to make some coin. Based on what Joss said, I’ve about a month's worth of money, but that probably just covers staying at an inn and some food. I also forgot to ask how much a night’s stay is, so I’m just guessing. But regardless, I still need a source of income.

I’ll do my thing for now since I’m not in a rush, but here’s the plan; Get some supplies, information, and maybe even a purpose for this 10,000-year-old life.

I looked above the buildings and sensed the twirling mana I noticed yesterday. It twisted and turned subtly from here, but the violent fluctuations increased closer to the epicenter, farther into the town. Whatever it is, it’s contained within the city walls.

A queasiness builds in my chest, adding to the unsettling nature of the mana. “You know what? I should get everything I need and leave immediately.” The closer I get, the more it feels like the mana Stool gave off. And I’m not doing that again, ever again. It might have long-lasting effects for all I know. 

I shook my head and focused on my to-do list, letting my legs take me away. 

Most of the people wear linen clothing, but a few stood out in the crowd. Someone that caught my attention exited a nearby shop, wearing a thick hide. Not as imposing as the scale plate armor of a cavalier, but I wouldn’t want to mess with him regardless. And along his back sat an enormous axe, but with a few more contours in the handle and blade than normal. 

I tried to look longer, but my vision broke as he rounded a corner. Hmmm, must be some sort of hunter. With him gone, I looked to my destination, the building the man just left. The Smoking Iron, adorned with a symbol of armor and a weapon. Shurly, this place should have armor, at least from the books Hollow provided. Right? 

With the [Evil Myconids] crushing rocks like it’s no big deal, I’m probably dead with my current setup, so I need some protection. I’m willing to spend extra if that's what it takes.

“Crash Bang!” A loud band ringed my ears as I stared at what laid before me. A human head, yes, a human head embedded into the door, facing down and unmoving. I considered for a second that the man might be dead before shouting came from beyond the door.

“GET OUT OF MY SHOP BEFORE I DO SOMETHING YOU REGRET!” The gruff voice sounded out with power. And after a second of disbelief, the head stirred, moving as it tried to dislodge itself from the other side. After a couple seconds of struggle, it popped out the door, and it flew open a second later, this time with the rest of the body. 

All I saw was a blur as the individual spirited away, uncaring at the blood dripping from his neck. The surrounding bystanders shook their heads and continued on with their day, like it had never happened. I gulped and tried to process the event that had just happened. 

Welp… Ummmmm, it can’t be that bad, can it? With an unsure look, I reached for the door. With the now human head shaped hole still dripping blood and prepared myself for the angered individual inside. 

The door inched open, and I stuck my head through the small gap. The first thing I saw was a pot-bellied man, standing at least two heads above me with a short sword in one hand and a hammer in the other. Ready to inflict some pain. I felt his angered stare as I froze in the doorway. 

His eyes almost set me aflame. “Whaddya want?” The rushed words carry a heat from the stammering man.

“Ahhhh. Looking for... for some basic armor?” My tone rose as I finished the words, almost confusing myself in the process as I added a questioning look to my facial expression. 

His judging stare almost broke my facade, shrinking back. Did I just add more fuel to the fire? He remained silent long enough for it to become awkward, but before I could think of an escape, he spoke up, canceling my plans. 

“Fine, come on in, don’t damage the door more, please” Simple and straightforward, but with a hint of sorrow as he stared at the door. I can tell the words were for me, but the sudden shift tone seemed to be directed next to me, the door.

[Human Blacksmith]

He turned around and walked further into the store. His colossal frame glided across the room in complete silence, against expectations. I shook my head, not questioning the man as I looked towards the damaged door. 

Sadness for a door. A simple wooden door, but sadness nonetheless. I looked back at the [Blacksmith] as he rounded the wooden counter, picking up a small object and continuing his work, like nothing ever happened. 

It might not be so bad after all. 

With my choice made, I fully entered the story, taking care to softly close the door behind me. He seemed quite rough at first, but the sudden sense of calm told a different story. 

Back to a simple craftsman that cared about his work. Only time will tell and I’m along for the ride. 

Browsing around, a variety of items laid along the wall, like swords and maces, but they all seem comparable to what I’ve seen outside, except for one thing, the finely crafted handles. I reached forward and grabbed a handle of a nearby sword. The oblong shape fit snugly into my hand, as if tailor made to my palm. 

I let go, looking back at the man behind the corner. A very similar handle lies in his hand as he brushed the wood with a cloth in the other hand. His eyes focused on the piece before him. 

Before getting distracted, I reminded myself of the mission, the armor. I didn’t have a clue what would work, but if running away was my combat strategy, I needed something light and unrestrictive. Walking a few steps forward, I saw a set of leather armor hanging on the wall. It was simple, containing few pieces, but it had large shoulders, one fit for a man. 

“70 silver for the set.” The man spoke up. 

I jumped a little at the unexpected comment, a bit too focused. “Ummmm. I’m kinda new around here.. So, could I have your name?” I said. 

He didn't respond and gave me a quick look. I heard a rush of air as he exhaled, adding to his imposing manner, but he eventually spoke. “Sly.” The words resounded quietly, but remarkably clear. 

I barely held it together as his eyes stared me down, seeming just like the angered man from just a minute ago. Calming breath, calming breath. Why are you so nervous, Ayla? Get it together. I took another breath before meeting his gaze. “I’m not really a combatant, but I want something to help, just in case. Enough to make up for my lack of defense.” The words came out meekly, but I at least got them out.

He responded by raising an eyebrow, as if questioning why a [Villager] would need armor. “Wait here.” He placed his work on the counter and walked through an opened door behind him. 

“Ahhhh, ok.” I answered, even though my words didn’t reach him. I didn't have to wait long as he returned with something in hand, placing patches of leather into 3 piles. 

“These should fit you better than the one over there. Not sure how much protection you need, but here are three options. The first one is drake scale armor. Easily offers the most protection and ease of movement, but it’ll cost you 4 gold. The next one, silver wolf hide, is stretchable and workable to any shape so I can adjust it to fit you better. Comfortable for longer journeys, but weak against punctures. 1 gold and 20 silver. Just got a new shipment of hide as well. The last one is a mix of stinae hides, as standard as you get for 60 silver.” The words fly out as he pointed to the separate leathers, a [Blacksmith] ready to make a deal. 

Drake scales, silver wolf, and stinae hides. Hmmmmm. 

They're all within my range, and I’m willing to spend, but I don’t want to blow half of it in one place. So that left the silver wolf or stinae hide. Don’t know what a stinae is, or for the matter of fact, the ‘silver’ in silver wolf. 

Feeling better now with a conversation going, I responded while feeling the leather between my fingers. “No to the drake scales one, but how long would it take to get the wolf one fitted to me?”

Without thinking, he responded. “A day.”

A good fit and comfortable for long journeys, definitely what I need. I grab 2 gold from my bag and place it on the table. “It’s a deal then.” I thought about negotiating, but I would rather not make a fool of myself. And I didn’t want to anger the man like the last guy did. 

He seemed to appreciate the quickness of the deal as a smirk appeared across his mouth. He shifted to the side, reaching into a pocket before pulling out my exact change. 8 large silver coins. They had the same design as the smaller one, but were around 50 percent larger. Easy enough then, 10 silver to 1 large silver coin. “Always a pleasure. Wait here. Roub, we have a custom ready for measurements.”

Before long, someone from the back entered the room, looking to be an apprentice, considering his young age. He had a leather apron marred in several places, accompanied by some similar markings along his face. His hazel hair, tied back into a bun while adorning a soft expression on his face. “It will only take a couple minutes, miss.” 

I nodded, and he took my measurements, writing them down onto a nearby pad. “Ok, you're all set. Come back around the same time tomorrow for your fitted set of silver wolf armor.” He says with a smile. “I’ll see you tomorrow then.” 

“That quick?” 

“Most of the armor’s already done from a failed payment order, but with the new material we received this morning, we can fix it up real quick.” 

“Ummm” I looked at the head shaped hole, then back to him, getting a strained smile in return. Should I be thankful the man failed to pay for his order? Regardless, that was easy. “Thanks!” He nodded back, walking into the back room. 

I made my way out, carefully trying not to damage the door more than it already had as the sun greeted me once again. “Ok, to The Sandy Elixir.” Last night was a blur, but even then, it stood out with the word ‘Elixir.’

3