13: Return
181 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After some minor chit-chatting between brother and sister Adel left the room warning Leon to be ready in the morning for the return trip to their hometown Orsier. It was four-day journey from Dewdrop. They had to begin early to reach a private accommodation reserved for them, before night.

It was nothing big and Tim was happy with it. He could now get some information about this empire from the books he could never find in the mansion. This place was the duke’s capital estate, which did not have many things he needed.

Tim’s brain provided him with information but it was never enough. He needed to cross-reference many things to fill the gaps. It was tiring but was beyond his control. At least he was now used to the headache.

So, the remainder of the day went quickly. Tim devised a plan, Sophia brought him the food with her usual charming smile. She acted like nothing happened earlier and Tim did not bring up the topic because he needed more clarification upon the nature of their relationship to go somewhere with it.

Next, he ate, thought about nonsensical stuff like how soft her breasts were, then slapped himself for acting like a kid. And soon the night fell and Tim hit the sack. But sleep was not so quick to come.

Once again countless thoughts roam around his head but one stood out the most and that was the memories of the girl named Rose.

He saved her on a rainy day, lying on the floor before his house. She was shivering in the cold, had bruises everywhere, malnourished. But became a beautiful girl in no time. The cycle continued and he took care of everything.

Became a father of a child he never had. Never looked at her in any other way but she developed weird feelings which continued for the last twelve years. And one day she was gone. He didn't get any time to say the last goodbye.

Life was cruel and it proved itself in every step he took. He lost, found, then lost again. Still those days spent with them remained, engraved in his mind. Those were the only things left to cherish.

Reminiscing about those moments, a faint smile appeared on Tim’s face.

He had failed many times, almost died two times but carried on. And now, he was here in this empire, carrying the duties he was handed with.

‘This is life huh…’ Tim thought as the sleep slowly shrouded himself and soon, he completely fell onto her grasp.

***

So, the journey finally began from Dewdrop to Orsier. Nothing significant happened throughout the journey except Tim sorting out thoughts about himself and his brain getting fried over all the nonsense Adel and Sophia talked about. They were in the same carriage with him. The duke and the duchess were in the other carriage, moving ahead. Behind them another two or three for all the servants and other things.

The whole convoy was surrounded by dozens of knights and many other guards on their horses. They knew nothing would disturb their peace as no one had the balls to attack the Espers but it was the protocol and had to be followed.

And after four days of sitting and stopping only for nights, they reached their hometown, beside the river Nile. It was not big as compared to the capital but still carried the same rich essence. Most of the houses were well-built and the well-paved road was filled with a crowd who joyfully bowed to the first two carriages which had flags on top.

Shops selling normal goods and magical items were lined each side of the road as the area was illuminated by bright orbs. It was just evening, but the lighting was already on. All in all, everything looked normal except people carrying weapons on their backs roaming here and there.

Nothing stopped the two carriages and they reached the inner wall of the castle. A monstrous building made of stones and was lit with hundreds of torches and the same orbs.

Everyone exited including Tim who was not surprised in the slightest. He wanted to be amazed but it all just felt familiar. It was like he had been there for as long as he remembered.

They were escorted inside by the head maid and the butler who managed the house. And soon the group dispersed.

Tim went to his room which was literally ten times bigger than the room back in the capital. It was minimalistic consisting of the same furniture but more extravagant. He changed his clothes, bathed, and lay on the bed.

He was tired from just sitting for a day and needed some rest. But that seemed like a distant dream as he was disturbed by a servant who politely asked him to come to dinner.

So, with a long sigh, Tim got up and left his room.

***

“So, Marquis Leon… how was your trip?” Asked an old man who sat on the head seat of the rectangular table. He was the previous duke named Enwyld Tristan Von Esper. He was not the Lord of the house anymore but handled everything in absence of his son.

“It was good.” Answered Leon or rather Tim with a smile. This elder was Leon’s grandfather and so did Tim’s. And the sense of familiarity was already there.

“Really!”

“Yes.”

“How about you Miss Adel. How many times have you tried to blow your brother?”

“Just once and grandfather please stop using these honorifics of yours. We don’t need those in the family.” Retorted Adeline with an annoyed face, sitting beside Leon.

“Yes! Stop now.” Added an old woman. She was the wife of Enwyld or in other words the previous duchess Halline. She had lost her youthful charm but still retained her royal features.

“Ok! Ok!” Enwyld raised both of his palms and nodded.

“Now eat and let them go. They are tired!”

“Mother it is fine.” The duke who was sitting opposite the table smiled, dropping the fork on the plate. “Let him do whatever he wants. He is just…”

“This is why I like you, my one and only duke.”

“Ok, Father, that’s enough.”

“Told you.” Halline sighed, focusing on her food and Enwyld showed a toothy grin letting everyone know that he was doing all this to irritate them.

“Come on kids! I am just joking.” Said the elder in a sarcastic tone and no one except Adel snorted. She was not a fan of his go to jokes and Enwyld too knew it. “What happened Miss… are you not…”

“Father…” The duke interrupted the old man as he continued in a heavy tone. “Where are your knights? I have not seen them once since coming back.”

“Well… they are on a mission.”

“Where?”

“Aureys”

“Why?”

“Astryn, is not well.”

Bam!

The duke slammed his right fist with such force that the entire table shook. Everyone was shocked witnessing the sudden change in his expression. He was now fuming in anger as sparks of electricity could be seen wrapping around his hands.

The duchess tried to touch her husband’s hands with a worried face but could not as in the next moment he got up from his seat and began to leave.

“She will be here in ten days.” Shouted Enwyld with a displeased expression on his face.

“I don’t care.” The duke did not stop or turn around. He just left the room, followed by his wife.

Next Halline thumped her hand to attract her husband’s attention. And when he looked at her, she said nothing but left to chase after her son.

“Leon!”

“Yes.”

“Can you kill that bastard in a duel?” Asked the elder as he was now alone with his grandchildren who understood the matter perfectly.

“Why not!”

***                                    

Tim lay on his bed covering his eyes with his hand. There were so many things going around him that it was hard to grasp the situation properly.

Everything was exploding around him. Right now, the matter involved the kingdom Aureys where the duke’s elder sister Astryn was married and became the queen. Everything was going fine until five years ago her son, the crown prince died mysteriously.

Many speculated it to be an assassination, some said it was some kind of disease but the damage had been done. Queen Astryn fell into utter despair but her husband did not bet an eye. He spent his days with his mistress who had a son and soon he was declared as crown prince.

The Espers could not do anything but when Astryn became ill everything changed. Her health deteriorated gradually over the past years. Her family requested the king to send her home so she could take some rest.

But it was always denied until Enwyld sent all his knights and a letter mentioning the consequences of what would happen if his letter gets denied again.

King agreed and the queen and her two daughters, like the letter mentioned, were allowed to go back. Two battleships for protection and one royal ship were now returning carrying three persons.

It would take ten days for them to reach the port but the duke was not happy with it. He was angry over their inability to do anything. He wanted to challenge the king for a fair duel where he would kill him for all the suffering his sister had endured.

The duke was never happy with this marriage but his father forced it and the result was before everyone’s eyes. He had warned a thousand times but no one listened. This was the reason for the rage.

And Tim or rather Leon’s job in this was nothing. He had nothing to do in this matter and was asked by his grandfather to meet him in the morning for some discussion he had no idea about. Still, he agreed.

“I have so many things to do.” Tim mumbled, moving his hands away, staring at the canopy above him. No matter where he went his days were getting complicated, no matter how he tried.

First the princess, then the case of the carriage driver Samuel and now his aunt whom he had never met.

Sigh!

Tim sighed, slowly closing his eyes. There was no point in thinking about stuff which did not concern him. And even if it concerned there was nothing, he could do to fix it, anyway.

Note: You can read 12 Chapters ahead in Patreon.
Link - https://www.patreon.com/Neiryl

Ratings and Reviews are always appreciated. Thanks for Reading.

8