Chapter 111 – Team 7’s First C-Rank Mission
1.5k 15 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

While Jun went to bring Tsunade back, Team 7 had received its first C-rank mission. No one but Jun could have grasped the situation and predicted the danger. But the Uchiha clan leader wasn't there, so Team Kakashi set out in a cheerful mood, convinced that everything was going to be fine. And why wouldn’t they think so? The journey had gone well. They hadn’t encountered any bandits, and even the short boat crossing had gone smoothly. The mission couldn’t be any easier. They were just a few hours away from Tazuna's house when everything changed.

A poorly dressed guy, armed with a massive sword, had decided to show up to assassinate their client, and everything turned sour. 

A massive sword came flying toward Tazuna. Kakashi blocked Zabuza’s attack. However, he reacted a bit late, and the sword bit deep into his shoulder. The gigantic blade also grazed their client in the head, and he squealed, terrified by the blood coming out. Sakura rushed to him screaming, Sasuke and Kiba leaped back; they had all been taken by surprise. 

Having encountered no enemies so far, they had subconsciously relaxed their guard. They had no idea Tazuna would be targeted.  Even their sensei was late to react. If it wasn’t for Akamaru’s alarmed bark, Tazuna would have been dead by the time Kakashi reacted. Confronting a bloodthirsty assassin wasn’t what they expected for their first C-rank mission.

“Kakashi of the Sharingan!” Zabuza said in a scoffing air, perched on a branch and staring at Konoha's ninjas with sinister amusement. “What a pleasant surprise. I have no interest in killing you, stand down, let the old man die, and I'll let your team survive.”

“Zabuza Momochi,” Kakashi said in a cold voice. “You're far from home. What interest do you have in my client?”

“Me? Nothing. But my client wants his head.”

Tazuna, pale with fear and a trembling hand pressed on the cut of his skull, seemed to shrivel. Kakashi felt his heart miss a beat. He believed Tazuna didn’t tell them everything about the nature of the mission. The Konoha Jonin glanced at him.

Tazuna, no doubt feeling the danger, began to tell the whole story. The oppression of the land of the Waves, the importance of the bridge they were trying to build, the reign of terror of Gato…

It was a touching story, but they would have liked to know about it sooner. Maybe they wouldn’t be in this situation! They couldn’t go back now, not after the appearance of such a powerful enemy as Zabuza. Moreover, Konoha's reputation would be tarnished, and they may not receive as many mission requests. 

Kakashi was a Jonin from Konoha; he represented his village. He couldn’t afford to abandon his client as soon as a difficulty presented itself… even if the latter had concealed crucial information. Looking at the nukenin, Kakashi clenched his teeth under his mask. Normally, he would have judged himself quite capable of beating Zabuza. But the latter’s surprise attack had hurt him a bit, and Kakashi was at a disadvantage with the kids around. He felt the warm blood flowing down his arm and a throbbing pain came from the wound. With this wound, his shoulder mobility was diminished.

But he couldn't give up now. Not when he had three Genins to protect.

“Stay back. He’s not an enemy you can handle.” He turned to his genins as he lifted the headband covering his left eye.

“What’s with Sensei's eye?” Sakura asked.

“It’s the Sharingan.” Sasuke answered.

“Sharingan?” Kiba asked.

“Yes, the Dojutsu of my clan. It is said that it can be seen through all types of Taijutsu, Ninjutsu, and Genjutsu. But the Sharingan can be even more powerful.” Sasuke explained.

He wasn’t surprised to see his sensei with the Uchiha Dojutsu as Jun already told him about it.

“That is correct. But that is not why the Sharingan is most feared. This eye allows you to copy any jutsu once you see it. Isn’t it right, Kakashi, the man who has copied more than a thousand techniques and earned the nickname, Copy Ninja Kakashi?”

The jonin leaped up to attack, a kunai in hand.  A clash of steel echoed as Zabuza blocked the weapon with his Executioner’s Blade. The two distanced themselves and attacked again. Their blades clashed countless times, creating sparks. The jonin began waving hand seals, but his opponent’s blade came crashing down on him. He vanished and reappeared behind Zabuza to deliver a swift kick. However, the Kirigakure Nukenin dodged and responded with a powerful sweep of his sword, which was easily anticipated and avoided by Kakashi.

Zabuza took several steps back until he landed on a nearby body of water.

“It seems you’re dead set on stopping me, Kakshi. Then you leave me no choice.”

The Kiri native lifted one arm with two fingers pointed to the sky while the other was bent by his chest with also two fingers up. Water was swirling around his body.

He’s releasing a high amount of chakra. Kakashi thought, looking at the scene. 

“Ninpo, Hidden Mist No Jutsu”

The atmosphere was thick with tension as a mist appeared, creating an otherworldly ambiance. Zabuza was nowhere to be seen.

Kakashi rushed to where his genins and Tazuna were.

“Sensei, where is he?” Sakura asked.

“Zabuza is a Nukenin from Kiri. He’s an expert in assassination, using the mist as a cover. With this mist, you won’t even notice he’s made his move until you’re already dead.”

“What about your Sharingan?” Sasuke asked.

“I can’t use my Sharingan perfectly, and it’s pretty draining. Kiba, can you or Akamaru smell his scent.”

The Inuzuka looked at his dog.

“Akamaru, anything?”

The dog barked once.

“We can’t pick up his scent with this mist.”

“I thought so,” Kakashi replied. “Anyway, we know who his target is.”

“What will we do, sensei? The mist is getting thicker.” Sakura asked in a panicked tone.

Kakashi turned his head to them.

“Don’t worry. I’ll protect you guys.”

“You’ll be protecting no one,” Zabuza said as he appeared behind Tazuna inside their protective circle. 

His blade was already in motion. The Kiri ninja suddenly felt a presence behind him. It was the copy ninja. The next instant, a kunai was plunged in his back. Zabuza's body suddenly collapsed in a small pool of water.

“Sensei, behind you,” Kiba warned as Akamaru was barking.

Zabuza appeared behind the jonin and swung his blade, cutting him in half. But instead of seeing blood, water appeared from Kakashi’s body and his whole body collapsed into a pool of water.

Shit. He copied my water clone technique during that time when I created the mist and also a clone underwater?!

Kakashi reappeared behind him, kunai at his throat.

“It’s over, Zabuza. Don’t move.”

“Over, you said? You think you can defeat me by copying my techniques?”

Kakashi felt a presence behind his back.

“I’m not that easily beaten.” A new Zabuza said behind him.

The one in front of Kakashi collapsed into a pool of water.

“Dammit, that one was a fake too,” Kiba commented.

Zabuza took a big swing of his massive sword. Kakashi squatted down and bent his waist, almost touching the ground. He felt the blade slashing the air over him. Zabuza used his momentum and kicked him hard. Kakashi’s body flew toward the small lake nearby.

“Sensei!” Kiba shouted.

No way! Kakashi sensei was sent flying?! Sakura thought, scared.

This guy is also good in Taijutsu. Sasuke analyzed.

As soon as Kakashi crashed against the water, Zabuza appeared behind him. 

“Hehe, got you!” He said as formed hand seals at high speed.

“Suiton, Water Prison technique.”

The water beneath them seemed to come alive. The rogue ninja extended one of his arms and trapped Kakashi into a sphere of water.

“You fool, you should have avoided landing in the water. This is my domain!” Zabuza said to the defenseless Kakashi.”

The jonin felt like an idiot. He got easily caught in the Zabuza’s Water Prison of Zabuza.

“Take Tazuna with you and run away. He can’t pursue you while the water prison is active; otherwise, the jutsu will stop, and I’ll be free.” Kakashi shouted at his Genins.

But they didn't obey. The throat of the Copy Ninja suddenly got dried. Their loyalty was admirable, and they had learned the lesson that one shouldn’t abandon their comrades, but… This kind of lesson wasn’t meant for all situations. It was Kakashi’s job to save them, not the other way around!

And now, they would be going to their death. Since they became his students, Kakashi had taught them little. He was afraid to destroy their innocence. He wanted to let them enjoy their childhood as long as he could. They were so different from him, so naive, arrogant, and confident in the possibility of a future. 

Kakashi was terrified of messing up… of doing something irreparable. It was all he was good at, after all… killing, and bringing misfortune to those around him. He believed if he kept his distance from his students, Team 7 would be better off. This passivity had condemned them. They were weak. And since they refused to flee, they were going to be killed.

Sakura and Kiba had no chance. But Sasuke was a prodigy. Maybe he could make it out alive and flee.

“You’re going nowhere,” Zabuza said as he created a water clone from his free hand.

“Sakura, protect Tazuna. Kiba, you’re with me.” Sasuke said.

“No, Sasuke. Do not fight him. He’s out of your league.”

“You be quiet, sensei. You’re in no position to give orders. Also, maybe we wouldn’t be so weak if you had trained us properly.” Sasuke didn’t mince his words.

Kakashi had no reply. His student was right.

“Haha, I like this kid,” Zabuza said.

Sword strapped behind his back, the clone rushed to Sasuke and punched him. The Uchiha dodged the attack and responded with a kick. The clone grabbed his leg and swung him around before throwing him. Sasuke landed hard on the ground. Kiba and Akamaru spun rapidly and charged at their opponent, creating a powerful drill-like attack. The clone dodged the technique, and they crashed to the ground. 

He punched Kiba and kicked Akamaru, sending them both to the ground. Sasuke was already on his feet. He rushed at Zabuza again and threw some kunais at him. The Kiri Nukemin dodged the projectiles. A furious exchange of blows followed. The Genin lost as he failed to land a hit on his opponent. A punch sent him to the ground. The clone walked toward him and put his foot on the youth's head. 

“You call yourselves ninja. You’re even weaker than ants. At your age, I already had blood in my hands.” He said as he continuously stepped on his head. 

He didn’t put any strength in it, but Sasuke was hurting. It wasn’t a physical pain. But his pride was deeply wounded. He felt humiliated, powerless, and frustrated. 

Is this all I’m capable of? And I want to find Itachi… What a joke… I can even fight a mere rogue ninja. I’m sure Jun could have easily beaten him. My brother could also take care of him. And me? I’m getting stepped on like an ant. This is so humiliating.

His frustration turned into anger.

I won’t stand this. I’m a Uchiha. 

Sasuke felt a change in him. As the clone’s foot was coming down, Sasuke grabbed it, rolled, and severed the tendon around his knees. The clone fell to its knees like a doll whose strings had been broken. The youth Uchiha got behind him and swiftly slit his throat. The clone was instantly destroyed. 

“What the…”

Before Zabuza could finish his sentence, Sasuke had taken a big shuriken from his back and threw it at him. 

“You brat! You think this is enough to defeat me?” He said, seeing the genin running toward him.

He caught the shuriken with his free hand. He was about to throw it back at Sasuke when he noticed an explosive tag on the weapon.

The brat is dead! He thought, still thinking of throwing the weapon away.

But another Shuriken suddenly appeared before him.

There was another shuriken in the shadow of the first one?!

That’s the Shadow Shuriken technique. Not bad, Sasuke. Kakashi thought.

“It’s still not enough, kid,” Zabuza said as he jumped in the air, avoiding the projectile. 

“Katon, Fireball technique.” 

Sasuke’s perfectly adjusted fireball jutsu took the rogue ninja by surprise. He was already in the air. Throwing the explosive shuriken in hand would only accelerate the explosion when he met the fireball. Zabuza threw the shuriken on his left into the water and also used his other hand.

“Suiton, Water Wall.”

A wall of water appeared before him and intercepted the Fire Jutsu. Steam appeared as fire and water met. An explosion shook the water as the explosive tag on the shuriken exploded. 

“I’ll kill you.”

Zabuza rushed to the genin, but Kakashi, freed from the water prison, blocked his path. The jonin glanced at his student.

“Sasuke, your eyes.”

There was only one tomoe in his scarlet pupils, it was the Sharingan. Sasuke had awakened his Dojutsu. Kakashi had no idea what was the trigger for his student. He had no idea how a Uchiha came to awaken their Dojutsu. But he was glad Sasuke did.

Zabuza leaned forward with a suddenly fascinated air.

“The Sharingan? Are you related to Itachi, by any chance?”

Kakashi cursed in his mind.

Sasuke froze.

Kakashi didn’t know what to do. It was bad, it was really bad. How did Zabuza know Itachi? Was Itachi also involved in this story of the Land of Waves? Was he here?

Immediately Kakashi's brain went through the worst-case scenarios. Facing Zabuza, he had almost been defeated. But facing Itachi, he knew that he had no chance, especially in his condition. 

This is really bad!

“How do you know that bastard?” Sasuke asked in a cold voice.

Zabuza laughed.

“Oh, so you are related to him! This is interesting!”

Kakashi let out his chakra. It radiated murderous intentions. He then charged at Zabuza. But the latter ignored him. Instead of facing him, he turned to the right and raised his voice to address an invisible interlocutor.

“Change of plan. Capture them alive.”

Kiba, Sakura, and Sasuke collapsed without even seeing their assailant. Then a masked hunter appeared, and Kakashi realized with horror that he couldn’t end this fight. Against Zabuza alone, he could have won. But not if he had reinforcements. Zabuza used the moment his opponent was distracted to strike. The Jonin blocked the attack at the last moment. Then he felt senbons stuck deep into his ribs and injured shoulder, temporarily paralyzing him. 

Zabuza grabbed the unconscious Sasuke as his companion took the other genins. Wobbling because of blood loss and fatigue, Kakashi could only watch the enemies vanish with his three students and the dog, Akamaru. He tried to give chase but stumbled and fell on the ground. Tazuna came running.

“Hey, are you alright?”

30