Chapter 4 – An Unforeseen Threat
4.7k 7 145
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Before school started again, Jun’s mother had made an announcement during dinner one night.

“I saw my parents.”

Renzo stopped eating. He seemed guarded.

“They are sorry. With the war, we lost so many people. My cousins, uncles, aunts, my little sister, my big brother… They didn’t even know I was still alive. They want… They asked me to come back.”

“With the condition that you never see me again? Your dad wanted to have a go at me the last time we saw each other. “ Renzo said.

Jun leaned forward in curiosity. His parents had never spoken of their meeting and disappointment with their respective families. He was aware his paternal grandparents died before he was born. But on his mom’s side, he knew very little.

“They still have a hard time with me breaking off my engagement and running away with a clanless chunin.”

“And a stranger. My grandparents were merchants from the Land of Whirlpools. My mother was not even born in Konoha but in Uzushio.”

Jun didn’t know any of it. But he was familiar with Uzushio. It was the village the Uzumaki came from.

“It’s true. They haven’t forgotten it, and they don’t understand my choice. But they aren’t angry with me anymore. They would like… to meet the children if it’s fine with you.”

Jun immediately thought of the massacre of the Uchiha clan. He wanted to survive Itachi’s killing spree by staying as far as possible from the clan. Meeting his Uchiha grandparents wasn’t something he was thrilled about.

Renzo bit his lips. He looked like he wanted to reject the idea, but he didn’t have the heart to deny his wife the chance to reconnect with her family. Jun could sense his father’s hesitation.

“If they don’t like dad, I don’t want to meet them.” He said.

“Darling, they are your grandparents.” His mom replied.

“If they don’t like dad, I don’t want to meet them. Right, Izumi? Our dad is the best.” He said.

“I agree with big brother. Dad is the best.” She added.

Jun knew she didn’t understand most of what was going on, but he did not care. He was pleased to have his little sister supporting his decision. Jun crossed his arms, trying to look as imposing as possible, and did not avert his mother’s gaze. He was set on not giving in on the matter. His mom stared at him for a long moment before sighing deeply. There briefly was, however, an amused look in her eyes.

“I will tell them they need to overcome their differences with your father before they can meet you. Is that reasonable?” She asked.

Jun wanted to answer no. He had no desire whatsoever to be affiliated with the Uchiha clan. He pretended to think about it for a few seconds before nodding his head. He was betting on the rigidity of his grandparents. He believed they wouldn't change their minds about his father anytime soon.

Jun felt like he should have resisted the idea with more fervor. Though Hazuki didn’t take them to meet her parents, it was clear to everyone she was seeing them regularly. The number of t-shirts in the kids’ closet began multiplying. The color varied. Jun preferred red while Izumi liked purple. There were also a number of black and dark blue t-shirts, the colors habitually worn by most Uchihas. A few of the t-shirts were even embroidered with the red and white fan, the emblem of the clan. That was too much for Jun. He categorically refused to wear the clothes. But Izumi was smaller, more naive, and did not possess his knowledge about the Uchiha’s future. She wore the clothes.

Jun was extremely reluctant to get closer to the Uchiha clan. His mom then focused on Izumi. When Jun was playing with Iruka and Yugao, his mother and little sister would go on a walk. Izumi soon joined in the games of the Uchiha children who gathered at the park they would go to. The fact that she wore the same clothing and sometimes with the clan symbol allowed her to easily fit in and make friends. Jun was upset. He knew what his mother was doing. His sister was kinder and easier to manipulate. Their mom was hoping Izumi’s enthusiasm would draw her brother in. She had no idea who she was up against.

 

Time passed, and the war finally ended. It was sudden. Jun hadn’t heard of the Kannabi Bridge mission, but he knew it had happened. He also knew there was a decisive battle where Minato slaughtered alone a whole army of enemy shinobi using his Hiraishin No Jutsu. Konoha emerged victorious from the war, but at what price? So many lives were forfeited. No one had the heart to celebrate such a triumph.

There were award ceremonies and also memorial ceremonies for all shinobis reported missing on duty. The war was over, and everyone was tired of fighting.

The beginning of the school year was approaching. Hazuki mentioned the possibility of not enrolling Izumi this year. Now that peace had returned, children can enroll later. There wasn’t a need to quickly make genins to be sent to the battlefields. Parents wanted to spend more time with their children. His mom mentioned a daycare system the girl could go to. Jun was suspicious of it. He believed it was likely an Uchiha daycare, and that his grandparents had secured his sister a spot.

Jun did not have to protest as Izumi really wanted to go to the Academy. No matter what their mom said, she did not bulge. Ultimately, they could only respect her desire and enroll her in the Academy. She was five years old.

There were almost no children belonging to a clan in Izumi’s class. Most of them were orphans or civilians’ children who could not afford child care. Izumi was enjoying it. She was thrilled to start her journey to become a ninja, like her big brother. Thanks to the training she had received at home, she was first in her class.

Jun was equally happy to be back at the Academy. It was pleasant to see his classmates and his friends. Shortly after the school year started, Minato was chosen to be the Yondaime Hokage. The news ruined Jun’s mood. It was because of his memories. MInato Namikaze was going to die. And it would happen soon. It was one of the most important events in the story. The death of the Yondaime also marked the birth of Naruto Uzumaki, the next Jinchuriki of the Nine-Tails. Jun was scared thinking about the tailed beast. There would be an attack on Konoha in the immediate future. He cursed himself and his memories.

He had been so obsessed with the Uchiha massacre all this time, that he had forgotten about other dangers. Itachi was just one person; Danzo was also one man. He could keep himself out of their radar. But Kyubi? That was another story. It was controlled by Obito. Jun did not know how to protect himself and his family against that. Kyubi could appear anywhere. Which places would be safe? Which ones would not be safe? He had no idea. He knew for sure that Kyubi’s assault on Konoha instigated by Obito would happen on October 10th of next year.

145