Chapter 104 – Saying Goodbye
1.5k 19 42
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finishing up with his Genins, organizing the rest of his affairs was fairly easy. Kazuma, Sasuke, and Karin each had a Jonin-sensei to take care of them. Shin would supervise Jun’s Genin team, helped by Gai and Yamato, thanks to their joint training. Izumi would represent her brother if there was any meeting among the clan leaders.

Jun made a quick stop by the Division to recover any new information on the location of Tsunade and Jiraiya and determined the geographic area in which he could find them. Luckily, an Inuzuka had crossed paths with Tsunade two weeks earlier and knew which town she was in. Well, Tsunade had probably left since, but it was a good start. About Jiraiya, Jun wasn’t too worried. He knew the Sannin would be coming back to Konoha on his own, probably to check on Naruto. It wouldn't be hard to locate him this time.

Jun also had the option of taking someone with him. Konoha didn’t encourage solo missions, even for Jonins. He thought about taking a tracker with him. He considered Miyamoto Hyuga. He was one of the best trackers he knew. But he rejected the idea.

He may have to reveal some secrets to Tsunade to persuade her to return. The Uchiha clan leader preferred not to have the Hyuga around. He trusted Miyamoto, but not Hiashi, his clan leader. And if Hiashi asked the details of their mission to Miyamoto, the latter would be forced to tell him everything. He was a member of the Branch family and also bore the Caged Bird Seal. Hiashi could make him talk if he really wanted to. Jun couldn’t risk it. He hated the Hyuga clan and their customs more and more.

Jun also thought briefly of Hana Inuzuka. He got along well with her, and she was a good tracker. But Hana's nose wouldn't do much when Jun already had a solid lead. But thinking of Hana made him think of Ume, and Jun nervously passed his hand through his hair. Ume was Izumi's best friend. Yes, she was pretty, funny, and kind. But Jun shouldn’t… even if she was at an age where Jun wouldn’t pass for an old pervert.

He liked her but hadn’t made a move, especially when Izumi was always around her. Jun felt like a teenager again. He felt clumsy… not knowing what to do and what to say. He was afraid it wouldn’t be worth it. He was afraid pursuing his feelings would ruin the current dynamic or worse, that it would ruin Ume and Izumi's friendship.

He didn’t want to risk it, so it was easier to do nothing. To keep his feelings for himself before they develop too much. Jun wasn't in love yet, but the potential was there. The interest was there. The affection was there. But he won’t allow these feelings to grow. Jun didn't even know if the interest was mutual.

He wasn’t an expert when it came to romantic relationships. He only had a few of them.

Well… There had been Anko for almost nine months. They had separated on good terms and remained friends. A year later, there had been Ayame, daughter of Teuchi who owned the infamous Ichiraku Ramen restaurant. It didn’t last long either, just a month, because they didn't have enough in common. 

And then, more recently during the last Chunin Exam in Suna, Jun had a brief affair with a Suna Jonin named Maki. She was a student of Pakura. Jun got most of the information he knew about the upcoming coup against the Kazekage from her. Jun shook his head while the memories came to him. That one liked to talk a lot in bed.

Jun wasn’t a romantic person. He wasn't even that much interested in romance. He was too busy with work, keeping secrets, and taking care of his family first. So there was no space for romance. It was just that sometimes it happened. Just like now, his attention was drawn to a pretty brunette, but nothing happened. He wouldn’t pursue Ume.

Jun shook his head. He needed to stop thinking about romance. He had things to do. He went to one of the favorite training grounds of Team Gai, but nobody was there. They were probably on a mission. He couldn’t inform them of his departure. Then he tried to get his hands on Team Yamato. They were chasing the cat again, and Jun decided to let them be.

However, he was able to get ahold of Sasuke. Team 7 was on their way to the Hokage Office, looking grumpy. They were probably looking for a new mission. Kakashi led the group while reading one of Jiraiya’s adult books. Kiba spoke loudly and in a mocking tone, while Sasuke pretended to ignore him. Sakura looked at Sasuke with an enamored air. It was the normal dynamics of Team 7. Jun sniffed with amusement, then joined them with a sharp step.

Kakashi lowered his book, but it was Kiba who first noticed his presence thanks to his nose.

“Hey, Izumi's brother!

“Hey yourself.”

Jun held back a sneer. There were only two people in the world calling him Izumi's brother, Hana Inuzuka, and her brother Kiba.

He sent a jab to Kiba, deliberately slowing the movement so that he could dodge it. The teenager closed his eyes while dodging the fist.

“Too slow. How can you be a jonin? I can dodge this in my sleep.” Kiba laughed.

“Hana's brother. Just be a little quiet for a bit.” Jun said.

Kiba stepped back laughing, and the clan leader turned to Sasuke, who looked up to the sky. Without being able to help himself, Jun smiled.

“I was looking for you, little cousin.”

Jun knew Sasuke hated being called that way, especially in public. But he wouldn’t miss a chance to tease him. The boy was way too serious. The glare he received from the young Uchiha said it all.

“I’m not little, so quit calling me like that. What do you want?”

“I'm going on a solo mission. I don't know how long I’ll be gone. Izumi knows about it, but could you let the others know?

“Sure,” Sasuke said with an air that wanted to be casual. “I thought solo missions were not recommended…”

Jun smiled, but he was aware of Kiba and Sakura's interested gaze on him. Even Kakashi watched him out of the corner of his eye.

“Not when meeting enemy ninjas is possible,” she replied. “But I'm going to do, hmm... some recruiting. If all goes well, I will be back before the Chunin exam. And if it didn’t, I would still come back in time. I may take a beating from an old woman with superhuman strength though.” He added the last sentence for Kakashi.

Only he would understand. Jun noticed Kakashi’s eyes narrowing. He understood. Sasuke contented himself with looking up to heaven, already accustomed to the cryptic or useless details of Jun’s answers.

The Uchiha Jonin was briefly tempted to ruffle his hair. It was a gesture of affection. But Sasuke didn't like being touched. So Jun simply touched his shoulder with his fingertips, as if he was adjusting the collar of his T-shirt.

“Take care of yourself, Sasuke.” He said.

Sasuke shrugged, but a faint smile appeared on his lips.

“I should be the one telling you that.”

Jun replied with a smile. It was time to go. He said goodbye and vanished into a cloud of smoke. He thought about Sasuke and his teammates. The world they lived in was peaceful, yes, but also treacherous, full of hidden threats that would soon emerge. Jun would do everything in his power to protect his loved ones… even if he had to face all these dangers alone. But for now, it was time to go look for the two Legendary Ninjas, Jiraiya and Tsunade.

42