Unexpected Windfall #66
3.5k 17 103
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Author's note: tomorrow is the second Eid, and I have been churning one or two chapters a day for the past two months, so it's finally time for me to take a break for a couple of days (3-5 days). There won't be any updates until then!

...

I couldn't help but chuckle, my eyes widening in astonishment as I looked at my bank account, noticing the steady rise in my daily income.

Because of my Personal computer power, I've been able to constantly grind my Computers skill, regardless of what else I was doing. Whether I would be sparring or training with Richard and Benjamin, working on my workbench, or beating up thugs; a part of my mind would still be programming or hacking.

So, I decided to put the ability to better use, and started creating various apps and games, some free, some paid, and publishing them online for anyone interested.

I created photo and video editing programs, spell checkers, games, and various utility apps, all of which had some degree of success and earned me some money.

However, my biggest earner so far, leaving everything else in the dust, was a Flappy Bird rip-off I'd created out of sheer boredom. It was one of those shower thought moments, and I just did because I figured, why not?

Imagine my surprise when I discovered; it suddenly went viral and was making close to 3k a day with the highest rating and daily download rates out of every mobile game or app.

I remember hearing the guy who created Flappy Bird removing it because he felt guilty over people growing addicted to it, but I thought it was nonsense and forgot about it.

Looking at those numbers and the average use time for people playing the game, I think there was some truth to the matter.

'Whatever...' I mused, shaking my head as I deactivated my personal computer power and made my way to the shooting range, taking out my sentry gun.

And yes, SENTRY GUN is what I named the ugly metal box with a machine gun inside it.

I had just returned from my training session with Richard and Benjamin for today and was eager to get some work done and grind my Mechanics skills a bit more.

The sentry gun, as simple and ugly as it was, would provide me with actual security measures for my hideout. Though it wouldn't do much on its own, I planned to fill up the bunker and the tunnels near it with as many sentry guns as possible once I perfected the design and solved the technical issues.

The sheer firepower of so many sentry guns, and the fact I can mentally activate, aim and fire them at any target, would enable me to defeat all but the toughest motherfuckers who were stupid enough to come at me here.

Providing the sentry guns with specialized ammo (kryptonite, vibrating bullets, and that kind of shit) and upgrading them even more in the future would enable me to beat a good chunk of the toughest motherfuckers as well.

I plan on creating and installing other defensive measures, but for now, the sentry guns will do, with it being simple and cheap to manufacture as they currently are.

'Time to see how far my quick fixes improved the sentry gun...' I mused as I set up the sentry gun on a table in front of the shooting range and immediately accessed its controls with my power.

The sentry gun box opened, and the gun barrel extended from inside considerably faster than the first time I tried it, as I couldn't resist improving the mechanical joints.

I began turning it around and comparing the barrel alignment with the crosshair in my head to see if any new issues arose before I fired at the targets, starting with firing one single bullet at a time.

The gun barrel began rapidly moving, only stopping for a fraction of a second to shoot as it altered targets. Every bullet hit with impeccable accuracy, leaving me nodding in satisfaction.

Then I moved on to burst mode with every shot firing three bullets at a time, and the results were pretty much the same. The first two bullets landed with maximum precision, while the last would deviate by an almost microscopic distance.

'That will do for now...' I nodded as I looked at the bullet holes filling the targets, then brought my attention back to the sentry gun, switching to auto mode.

I didn't hesitate as I started firing, the accuracy wasn't as good as the burst mode, but it was still decent and consistent until the magazine was half empty, at least.

I solved the overheating issue by covering the recoil-compensating coils with a metal tube that I would fill with cooling liquid, but the problem of the gun barrel heating persisted.

'I'll figure something out... eventually...' I mused, sighing as I stored the sentry gun in my inventory and made my way to my living area.

The dark, dingy bunker had changed a lot since I got here. I bought whatever furniture I thought was necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle and stole whatever was too expensive, but in the end, the effort and money were worth it.

I had everything I needed or would need here, from a kitchen to a living room, a bedroom, a training room, and a workroom, with a few extra rooms that I left empty for the future.

I filled the entire place with RGB lights and the most comfortable furniture I could find or steal, and plastered the walls with posters of anything and everything I saw.

Though I didn't know what most of the posters represented, I didn't care since I just bought them to make the bunker look cozy and not empty, and I was satisfied with the result.

'Whelp, time to get to it...' I mused, frowning as I reached my training room and prepared myself to perform the training techniques Richard had taught me.

It's been three days since Richard told me about the new training method, and things were going well in that regard as he taught me how to use my energy adequately.

So far, I've been only using the energy to increase the power of my punches by channeling it towards my fist whenever I felt the urge to bury it in someone's face, but as it turns out, that was just the tip of the iceberg.

Richard showed me a lot of the stuff he could do with energy, like hardening his skin enough to take a punch from me without flinching, augmenting his physical strength, and other stuff that left me slack-jawed.

But I was a beginner in energy concentration, so I had to start by merely augmenting my physical strength, which I needed for the new training method.

My training with Benjamin was going equally well, and even though I had doubts, I was already noticing some results, as I feel lighter and more clear-headed.

I'll still need to get into a tough fight to know if it would really work or not.

Though I never admitted it, there was some anger, resignation, and resentment at the fact that I ended up in this world, gnawing at the back of my mind, among other things.

The guidance Benjamin gave me helped ease these negative emotions, and I now could wholeheartedly focus on growing stronger and making this world my own.

And no, I don't intend to start an edgy plan to take over the world or some shit; it was just a figure of speech.

Taking another deep breath, I sat cross-legged on the ground and began moving my energy all over my body.

I didn't really need to sit cross-legged, but it helped with visualization and stuff. That is most definitely the reason, and not because I think it's cooler that way, and there's nothing anyone can do or say to prove otherwise.

...

Somewhere in Gotham

The pale moonlight shined over the city, emphasizing its archaic architecture and the grim cityscape, but the citizens of Gotham were not in the mood to enjoy such a sight that only the most elite of hipsters would consider charming.

They were all in a hurry to return to the safety of their homes as the hour grew late as more and more mobsters took to the streets, preparing to go about their business.

One girl was the exception to this rule as she navigated the city by jumping from roof to roof, going further away from her shelter with every step she took.

She had no home, only a place to sleep to avoid nature's wrath. The girl had a home once, a twisted, dark excuse of a home where she was bred and raised to be the perfect warrior, assassin, and tool by her father.

David Cain was a harsh father and a taskmaster. He demanded nothing but absolute dedication and expected perfect results, going as far as tricking her into taking her first life at the young age of eight.

And that wasn't even the worst thing he did to his own daughter, the young Cassandra Cain.

However, Cassandra, despite not knowing any better before taking her first life, quickly realized the implications of what she did as she watched the life leave the body of the man whose name she would never forget; Faizul.

She immediately escaped and has been on the run ever since, constantly looking over her shoulder as her father hounded her every step of the way.

However, she was here now, and people needed her help, and she would not stop helping them in her attempt at redeeming herself.

 


 

Want more chapters? Then consider subscribing to my Patreon. You can read ahead for as little as $1 and it helps me a lot!
-> (patreon.com/wicked132)
You can also always come and say hi on my discord server
-> ( discord.gg/sEtqmRs5y7) - or hit me up at - Wicked132#5511 - and I'll add you myself

 

103