Super Girl #89
1.4k 3 77
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Nightwing sent you here?" I asked, looking the blonde girl up and down as she landed, dropped the two mercenaries in her hands to the ground, and turned to me.

"That's right. Nightwing thought you might need some help..." The girl replied, radiantly smiling at me as she looked around and saw none of the thugs still standing.

"I'm Super Girl, by the way," she said, introducing herself as she approached me while reaching a hand forward, asking for a handshake with the same smile tugging her lips.

"Then I'll have to add his name when I'm suing for property damage..." I blankly replied as I walked past Super Girl without bothering to shake her hand, much to her surprise and confusion.

"Property damage...?" Super Girl asked, tilting her head and slowly blinking her eyes as she turned her body when I walked past her, sounding incredibly confused.

"You see, this here theatre is my property, and you just broke my roof with your superhero entrance, lady," I said with a scoff as I went to work and started storing the sentry guns and sensors into my inventory.

"What? Did you think roofs magically fix themselves in Gotham or something? Roofs don't grow on trees, neither does the money to fix a broken one," I bemusedly asked as I briefly turned to the stunned Super Girl, and she was still speechless.

"I'm sorry...?" Super Girl replied, her tone more quizzical than anything else as she didn't seem sure of herself anymore while standing in her spot, seemingly at a loss at what to do.

'Is she for real...?' I raised an eyebrow, barely holding back a chuckle as I saw the Kryptonian girl's expression. I didn't really care about the roof or the theatre as a whole and was merely acting anti-social since I didn't want to involve myself with anything and anyone who could kick my teeth in on a whim.

"Well, sorry ain't gon' cut it," I said, unable to resist the urge to tease with a shake of my head. "I'll also be suing for emotional damage," I added, clearing my throat to hide the fact I almost chuckled at Super Girl's increasingly mortified expression.

"I originally intended to retire and follow my dream of running a theatre, but you've gone and ruined my dream..." I added, slowly shaking my head, as I stored the last sentry gun in my inventory.

"But— but I was just trying to help..." Super Girl said, sounding deeply indignant as she gathered her bearings and approached me to get into my face with an exasperated expression.

"Look around. Does it looks like I need help?" I asked with an amused smile under my mask as I gestured at the theatre hall full of unconscious thugs all over the ground.

"But— But—" Super Girl stuttered, her face turning red in a blend of anger and embarrassment, but she couldn't form any intelligent sentences and just glared at me instead.

Luckily for her, rescue came just in time.

"Stop teasing the poor girl," Nightwing said as he entered the theatre hall through the same hole Super Girl created earlier. "She was just trying to help," he added with a smile as he nodded at the Kryptonian and turned to me.

"What is it with you people and not using doors?" I asked with a sigh, shaking my head as I turned and walked to the stage, having had enough of teasing the blonde Kryptonian.

"They were invented for a goddamned reason. Even those thugs had the decency to use the door..." I kept muttering as I punched a hole in the stage and jumped down to retrieve Black Mask, who had regained consciousness at some point.

"Now listen here, you—" Black Mask exclaimed through gritted teeth as soon as he laid eyes on me, and I just shut him up with a punch to the jaw, rattling his brain and knocking him out.

I picked him up, slung him over my shoulder, and jumped back into the stage. The two superheroes looked at this scene and gave me weird looks, causing me to frown.

"What?" I asked, my frown growing more pronounced as the two heroes shared a look and turned back to me, their eyes alternating between my face and the gang boss on my shoulder.

"You really kept him here? All this time?" Nightwing asked with a hard-to-read expression as he scratched his head, seemingly profoundly perplexed by my actions.

"I did. What of it?" I asked, feeling the urge to flip Night and Super Girl off as they shared another look and turned back to me with even weirder and harder-to-read expressions.

"Well, what if someone figured it out and freed him while you were busy fighting?" Super Girl asked, tilting her head. I would have thought they were trying to troll me if her expression wasn't so genuinely confused.

"Well, there is no fucking kindergarten where I can put away my gang boss while I'm busy working, is there?" I asked in an irritated tone, my eyes twitching under my mask, to which the two heroes shrugged and dropped the subject. 

"Fucking superheroes breaking my roof and asking me dumb-ass questions..." I muttered to myself as I resumed walking to the exit, intending to take the door like a civilized human being. 

However, I only walked halfway through the theatre hall before my phone started ringing, causing me to stop and sigh as I dropped Black Mask and answered the call after seeing who was ringing me.

"Detective Tiegel..." I greeted as I put the phone to my ears, trailing off as I waited for the detective to start talking. "No, I'm fine. Just finishing off. Do you need something from me?" I asked with a shrug.

"Oh? You're back in the force, and they're discussing a promotion, you say?" I remarked, raising an eyebrow as I turned to the unconscious Black Mask lying on the floor next to me.

"That's good. I have just the thing to seal the deal and get you the promotion you deserve..." I said, smiling as I kneeled next to the gang boss and picked him up.

"Meet me in the same spot, right now. Bring a pair of cuffs and a taser while you're at it," I concluded as I ended the call, slung Black Mask over my shoulder, and proceeded to walk away under the confused gazes of the two heroes.

"By the way, keep an eye on these guys..." I said as I stopped at the theatre hall's exit and turned to Nightwing. "Catwoman is around here somewhere. She's probably dying to empty their pockets...." I added with a chuckle before leaving.

...

East End 

As she stood in front of the quaint bookshop at the corner of the street, Deborah couldn't help but look at her watch to check the time while she waited for Wraith.

The crazy son of a bitch actually managed to get her job in the force back just as he promised, and now there were discussions about kicking her captain off the precinct and putting her in his place.

Though she didn't know how Wraith did it, she was extremely grateful. What was notably satisfying to her was those stuck-up internal affairs officers who wouldn't give her their time of the day before and dismissed her even though she had evidence to clear her name, calling her and apologizing.

Some of them even seemed disturbingly desperate to patch things up with her for some reason, and she was wise enough not to question it as she knew something was afoot, and it was likely Wraith's doing.

As a cop, Deborah was as straight as an arrow, but even she was no longer the same naïve sparkly eyed girl she was when she first joined the police force of Gotham City.

She understood that playing by the book in a city like Gotham could only get you so far, with crooked colleagues and superior officers waiting at every turn and corner to bring you down to their level or destroy you.

The detective couldn't blame Wraith for what he'd done, whatever it was. She'd only have to make it worth it by being the best damned cop this has ever seen to make up for it.

And even though she wasn't really interested in a promotion all that much, she came out of respect for the vigilante as he didn't even give her the chance to say no before he hung up.

"I wonder if he's gonna be late...?" Deborah said, sighing tiredly after checking the time as she messaged her sore neck, and as of on cue, Wraith jumped off the rooftop she stood beneath and landed before her with a man over his shoulder.

"Is that...?" Deborah asked as she looked at the man over the vigilante's shoulder. She had a guess about his identity, but she wasn't sure as he had a black bag covering his face.

"Detective Deborah... meet Gotham's most pretentious of assholes..."

77