Chapter 1: The Abandoned Border
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Pet duo had to find a source of corpses soon enough to control the Geyser's temperature before it was too late. Both girls and the Zombie Fairies returned to Surface as soon as possible.

Utsuho: "Where could we begin, Rin-Chan? You are the expert searching for Corpses here."

Orin: "Since no one is dying here today we could try elsewhere. Girls, is time to trace any sign of death, nya!"

The Undead Fairies nod and start smelling the air getting in several pairs until one of them pointed northeast with the index finger.

Orin: "They have something!"

Utsuho: "Lead the way, if anyone dares to opose us things are gonna melt down!"

The head of the fairies with the usual construction helmet orders to take the pyramid formation to travel one above each other at the Cart. They had the balance trained enough to not fall off. The cat would speed up her driving through Forest. Everything was getting dark since by now twilight ends and day is giving pass to Night. Stars were illuminating sky already but the atmosphere went even darker since trees look more dead, dry and creepier by every second they go further.

Utsuho: "What's this purple mist? I feel poison in the air. Rin-Chan, don't breath this!"

Orin: "This... this is the smell of Death... is Miasma! But to find it in this concentration meow... this is not normal, is even vissible!"

The Yatagarasu flies above to observe how everything ahead was covered in a dense wall of that mist, not even the sky could be seen from that point. Some sounds belonging to living beings who probably weren't from this world could be heard. The roar from monsters. The black-haired woman descends inmediately.

Utsuho: "Don't be afraid, I'll protect you! Just focus on finding the Corpses... this Miasma is not a problem for me, just give me a sec!"

A nuclear alarm sounds announcing Utsuho's spell. She makes a red sun to float into the air and its Gravity drags the poisonous mist stream to itself. After some seconds the sun becomes purple and explodes. The path was almost clear now, and the transformation made by the Miasma caused the Forest to poison and die in a crude way. Trees were presenting a twisted, dry and greyish aspect, grass couldn't grow and countless animal and people's bones were scattered all over the place. The Zombie Fairies look at the scene between terryfied and shocked, Orin made a painfully sad face while Utsuho rubs her eyes twice.

Orin: "The vast amount of Miasma did this... poor people, nya..."

Utsuho: "I see weapons like swords and spears. This people didn't seem to know how to use any Danmaku."

Orin: "We can breath... for now. I know that being a curious cat is bad sometimes but I want to save their souls, Okuu-Chan! When I get a corpse I like to make its soul rest in peace. But even if we don't really get carcasses... I can't leave like nothing!"

Exclaims the red-haired feline with doll eyes, asking her couple for help. The Yatagarasu embraces the cat in response surrounding her with the arms and putting her head on a shoulder.

Utsuho: "We'll save them. Okay? Who know what else could happen if we don't cut the Miasma's source."

Suddenly some creepy and undescriptable shapeless monsters surrounded them. They looked like cosmic horrors with multiple tentacles, eyes and teeth, made of purplish rotten flesh. The couple and the Fairies position to cover the backs of each other.

Orin: "We have company, ugh... they look disgusting, nya! Are they aliens?"

Utsuho: "They will learn very soon who did they messed up with!"

The horryfing beasts made the first move, sliding through the ground like if they were some sort of snakes. Trying to use their tentacles to grab the prey and shred it. The Zombie Fairies formed a meat shield, being the ones affected by their attacks. Even if they made putting a cartoonish face of fear and pain for a moment, they were just enduring waiting to be devoured.

Orin: "Good job, nya! You'll be sorry of devouring my girls~. Cursed Sprite: Vengeful Spirit!"

Orin used one of her spells to make her minions possess the enemies who ate them. Then, the fairie's faces start can be seen inside of them and in their tentacles. They are making hilarious expressions of mockery, with their tongues, wide-opening the eyes, stretching their cheeks and many other gag faces. Then a nuclear alarm sounds because Utsuho was making another red sun from her Control Rod.

Utsuho: "Nice move, Rin-Chan! Now, make them go here, let's just toast them! Atomic Fire: Nuclear Fusion!"

Then, the crimson sun multiplies by four orbitating in circles, with many blue magical bullets representing smaller stars. The cat orders her minions to go to the sun while posessing the nightmarish creatures to make them melt and die. Their plan ends in a success, the monsters move by Zombie Fairies's will, transforming into ashes and Miasma that disappears with the consequent explosion. The Zombie Fairies fall with spiral eyes to the ground but after some seconds they revive shaking their heads. When everyone was up again, they start some sort of brief victory dance raising their arms. The Yatagarasu giggles. 

Utsuho: "I don't remember seing them this expressive. It's really entertaining!"

Orin: "They have gained enough power to develop emotions and even hobbies~. I'm glad for them. Now... we should keep investigating, Okuu-chan."

Utsuho: "It's closed night by now. Even with Miasma I can still see some stars. But everything feels very cold and lifeless in this place."

Orin: "Look, meow. A village ahead, but it's destroyed. I feel many souls trapped here... with no possibility to cross to the other side."

In front of them, a small deserted town remains was standing out. There were a circle of ruined small houses made of wood and stone in some sort of plaza whose center was ornamented with a great shattered crystal. Plenty of skeletons could be seen scattered all over the place, from adults to kids. Orin's usual cheerfulness was now just gone into a sad face. Meanwhile, above in the sky some sort of blue ball of light was just floating there. (1). They didn't notice her.

(1): Nue is an Alien Youkai, the one who caused the UFOs in Gensokyo during a previous incident. She can hide her true form in a ball of light, but in truth she has humanoid appearance. Short black straight hair in layers, ruby eyes, three red metallic wings at the right side of the back and three blue metallic tails at her left, she usually wears a black crop dress in two pieces showing reasonably her nice figure by her arms, legs and a bit of chest. A cute red ribbon is on her top's cleavage. She's really chaotic.

Nue: "I have something interesting to report to Myouren Temple. This place seems really chaotic, and there are two really interesting youngsters. Hehehe~, probably I will be able to have fun. When was the last time? Ah yes, with Reimu. What kind of prank should I perform to make a great entrance?"

The pet duo reach the shattered big crystal's site and sit for a moment.

Orin: "I can't use bones for the geyser..."

Utsuho: "It's okay. We have some days left yet. What's this big crystal? Is like it has some magical energy left. It was a generator? Just like me."

Orin: "Seems like we have company, nya. But they are good. Are they... the villagers?"

A big group of will-o-wisps materialize in front of the couple, surrounding them. The biggest of them started to speak.

Soul: "I'm the chief of the village, youngsters. Are you here for some reason? That crystal is useless now. It was made to protect our people from Miasma since we couldn't use Danmaku or escape the thick stream from the border. We are unable to rest now because the Monster made our life a hell. A meteorite came from space one night, and a terrible creature made the nearby mountain its home. Exhaling poisonous mist, it covered everything with its cursed breath."

Orin: "If we destroy the monster... will you be able to rest?"

Soul: "Yes, but don't do it for our sake. Is not worth to help us, do it for the rest of the Alive."

Utsuho: "He's right. If that monster becomes aware of the rest of Gensokyo..."

Soul: "Precisely. No one could survive but you two could stand against its soldiers."

Orin: "My job is ungrateful, some people think that I'm creepy because I work with corpses and I'm a necromancer. But I care for everyone, nya. Thank you for indicating us its lair!"

The red-haired cat nods with a determined expression and the Zombie Fairies who were distracted playing shogi with a mean look contest included, reading manga, or even playing with a mini-danmaku machine quickly formed in row making some sort of military salute.

Utsuho: "You don't have to worry for us. I don't plan to see the cat I love dying for being too curious. And of course, I can't just sit back. You'll see nuclear fusions tonight to wipe that thing out of Gensokyo for good."

The feline gets blushed for some seconds showing a faintly goofy smile.

Orin: "We are leaving, chief. How much time have you and your people trapped?"

Souls: "We lost the count. Night or day were impossible to distinguish. Until we all died in the eternal poisonous darkness and wandered as a will-o-wisp looking everything with pain and regret for not being able to change Future... I can't say... decades? Centuries?

Orin: "This is the last day, I promise. Let's go! That parasite is going to pay for the pain it have caused."

The black cat's face was showing anger after hearing that. Her red eyes shine with rage and she was gnashing teeth.

Soul: "Good luck... and thanks, brave ladies."

During the journey to the nearby mountains only more bones were in plain sight, many people have died poisoned in these abandoned black lands.

Utsuho: "Rin-Chan... are you feeling bad? You aren't like usual."

Orin: "I can feel... the despair, the sadness, their shattered memories. Even with the sad stories, I just take corpses from people who lived until the end of their lifespan, but that monster destroyed all their life projects. Imagine if someone just... stopped our plans of life together in the blink of an eye, forever. Imagine that now for everyone here and even the kids, Okuu-Chan. Even if they aren't as important for us as Reimu or Satori-Sama... it's not fair nya! That's why... I'll torture that being until it beg for hope and feel the same anguish! All before ripping it apart."

Her body was blazing with blue fire, she was really angry. Even the Zombie Fairies were scared. The Yatagarasu just nodded at her explanation.

Utsuho: "I understand, we'll make it pay, Rin-Chan."

Orin: "Let's drive to the peak where the Meteorite is. Can you see the Miasma flowing from the top?"

Utsuho: "Our prey is there... and seems like it noticed us!"

This time it was an entire army, hundreds of eldritch shapeless beings armed with teeth and tentacles emerged from the ground. A strong roar could be heard from the Mountain's top.

Orin: "So be it! This is war now, meow!"

Utsuho: "If you didn't learn, you will still get burned!"

Orin: "Girls, get at the cart, is time to disobey the rules. Eiki-Sama, come to scold me now! Youkai: Blazing Wheel!"

The Feline concentrates her magical energy on the cart's wheels while the Fairies sit on it in Pyramid Form. The next thing that happens is Orin performing hit and run. She crushes any creature in front of her. Her violent drifting causes a great amount of blue and red bullets that impact with several targets at extreme speed. She's acting careless due to her angryness and receives some bites on her arms and legs due to some of the monstruosities reaching the top of the cart. The dying ones cause some Miasma before expiring, causing her to get weaker and dizzy.

Orin: "Y-You... will die anyway!"

A strong nuclear fusion alarm sounds. The ground was quaking in this ocasion since the Yatagarasu's power grows in front of a situation where her beloved cat may be in danger.

Utsuho: "I won't let you do her anything else, bastards! Atomic Fire: Uncontainable Nuclear Reactions!"

From the Control Rod this time a great barrage of suns are originated by the extreme nuclear fusions. The Yatagarasu launches them against the ground and they explode in nuclear mushrooms leaving nothing at their path. A massive earthquake is provoked in consequence while the girls were reaching for a cave in the mountain. With the attack of the pet duo many enemies were desintegrated, swallowed by the ground, destroyed for magic bullets or crushed. Rocks would fall due to the tremors blocking the entrance and preventing the rest of abominations chasing after them. The black-haired bird runned at Orin's side, showing herself worried.

Utsuho: "Rin-Chan! You are bleeding, are you poisoned or something?!"

Orin: "I... I feel a burning pain on my veins. Their bite must be poisonous. I'm feeling dizzy but I can go on! This is nothing compared to what the villagers did suffer. If I can't endure this, then I have not right to call myself a Necromancer."

Utsuho: "Rin-Chan, if you are too bad.. stay back, okay? If something bad happens to you I couldn't bear it!"

Orin: "I will, Okuu-Chan. But take care you too, nya?"

Licks the birds's lips showing her affection. As a response, the crow firmly grabs one of her hands.

Utsuho: "Just stay with me. After this, we'll go see Eirin-Sama."

The Undead Fairies were looking at the scene very worried. If their Master's life ceases they would expire as well. But once everything was set, everyone started ascending the mountain. The cave was very dark, with black rocks, even the walls have been affected by the Miasma. Only a small sun made by Utsuho illuminates the place faintly. Orin's minions were scattered all over the place stalking every corner to scout any possible threat.

Orin: "This cave is like a graveyard. No, at least in that place everything is at peace."

Utsuho: "The air here is almost impossible to breath, imagine if the Miasma stream wasn't removed by my sun. We must be near from the top."

The duo crossed the cave without more encounters, at the exit, everything was like the Yatagarasu said. The peak's summit, a great terrain with incredible vistas, but veiled by the thick purplish gas that emanates from the spores of a plant-like alien parasite like clouds of death, the girls had to cover their nose with their own clothes because it was unbearable in such amount. When that being felt hostile presence, its entire body emerged from the ground. It was like seeing an undescriptable chimera of fungal spores, spider legs and cosmic horror body with countless bloody eyes and teeth. It roars opening an enormous mouth filled with sharp fangs everywhere. The noise made a colossal tremor.

Utsuho: "Do you really think that we are scared, eh?!"

Orin: "There's nowhere to run!"

The monster attack launching some sort of poisonous spikes from the spores to Utsuho. She start flying fast back and forth to dodge and counters the incoming shoots using her reactor control rod as a heavy machine gun to shoot yellow suns that explode on the spores. Orin orders the Zombie Fairies to possess the creature by entering on any sunburn her partner can make while shooting a barrage of quick red and blue magical bullets to the monster's eyes. The Yatagarasu gets hit by a spike on her left wing and endures the pain gnashing teeth and trying to not lose height.

Utsuho: "Grr... how can something that can't use Danmaku be this annyoing? Rin-Chan... do you have it?"

Orin: "We are on it, the girls are doing their best! I'll have to call for the skulls!"

Some will-o-wisps blazing skulls appear in front of the Cat, they laugh ominously as the place gets darker.

Orin: "Buy us some time, nya! Apology: The Needles of Yore and the Vengeful Spirits in Pain!"

The following spell was an order for the skulls to form circles and spin to impact at the alien's mouth. Multiple point-shaped bullets filled the place and went for it as well. When the will-o-wisps skulls started to explode like blazing blue bombs. The bullets would impact on the different eyes at first, but the opponent reacted raising a tentacle barrier to deflect the attacks. Some pain screams could be heard before the counterattack, which was a wall of thick Miasma from the spores. It was extending too fast.

Utsuho: "Rin-Chan!"

It was impossible to evade and everything was going to be rotted. The Yatagarasu transforms on her animal aspect to shield the two-tailed cat with her wings making some sort of radiation shield trying to minimize any damage. She was ready to protect her love against death even if doing so it costs her life. But in the last moment, some red, blue and green sparkling UFOs appeared firing lasers with an angry face. Suddenly one of them was transformed into some sort of vacuum cleaner swallowing all the Miasma. In front of the two girls, Nue is facing the monster with her trident ready. Throws a mockering kiss to the monster and claps to it, calling its attention like it if was some sort of dog.

Nue: "Not today~ and not on my watch. Those youngsters always choose the worst guys. Come on, Toby! Let's have a walk!"

The monster, feeling angry and offended apparently decapitated the Alien Youkai and her head fell to the ground with a blood pool, but the truth was that a ball of light floats, being the real Nue and the fake's head started hilariously walking to enter its mouth and explode inside. The light ball ceased and she was laughing.

Nue: "Amateurs... you can't be so rude with a lady, is basic knowledge~. Ominous Clouds: Heian Dark Clouds!"

The UFOs controlled some Miasma Clouds hiding inside of them and growing bigger to release powerful particle beams against the monster. The Yatagarasu returns to humanoid form and looks to Nue.

Utsuho: "I don't know who you are, but I owe you one! Let's end this!"

Nue: "Roger. May you ask the cute kitty to possess it? It's enougly weakened. What about teaching how bad is Miasma to it?"

Orin: "That's a great idea, nyahahaha!"

The Zombie Fairies's faces can be seen all over the Monster. Specially on the spores. Many hilarious mockery expressions could be seen like before with the lesser horrors. They were laughing hard this time and showing signs with chibi figures of skulls saying "Game Over". That was the sign of absolute success. Orin had a satisfied smile on her face, showing her cute fangs.

Orin: "Girls, time to make it breath its own medicine!"

The Fairies control every Spores's appendix and introduces them on the monster's horrible mouth. With the sharp teeth, they became trapped inside, bleeding. Then, the same Miasma amount from before went inside that beast making it shake until its own poison suffocated it. Its body went more rotten every second and died twisting in pain and suffering. At the last second it appeared to be begging for pardon, but the cat just turned her look away.

Orin: "You don't deserve anything, nya. Just disappear forever."

The place became clearer as the Miasma was being finally extinguished, some shooting stars were crossing the vast and pure night sky and from the devasted village, the souls could be seen flying high at last to rest in peace. The feline necromancer has a bittersweet smile on her vissage.

Utsuho: "Look, they are free now!"

Nue: "Seems like we saved the day. How cute of you to sacrifice for some strangers you don't even know."

Orin: "Do you... really need a reason to help anyone, meow...?"

Utsuho: "That's right, you didn't have any reason to save us!"

The Alien Youkai shrugs as their UFOs start interacting with Orin's Undead Fairies. The one with the construction helmet was talking to a big Grey UFO with a crown with gestures and sounds and everyone else was grouping around. One Zombie Fairy was translating the UFO king's speech. 

Nue: "I was bored to be honest."

Orin: "Okuu-Chan... I-I'm sorry..."

The cat feels specially dizzy. Poison was taking her consciousness away. Falls into the Yatagarasu's arms. The crow reacts with obvious panic, with her fringe turning blue.

Utsuho: "The Miasma... we have to heal her!"

Nue: "Leave it to me, we can make the introductions later."

The black-haired alien starts emiting some communications while focusing on make her words reach certain place.

Nue: "Captain Murasa, Black UFO communicating! I need a rescue to treat a poisoned Underground Cat, over!"

In question of seconds an Airship could be seen in Sky.

Nue: "The Reinforcements are here. I have contacts you know."

Utsuho: "If we save her, I'll do anything for you."

The Alien woman giggles looking Utsuho with playful eyes.

Nue: "Anything? I'll have to think about it carefully. You don't have an opportunity like this everyday~".

The next thing was the Airship throwing a heavy anchor nearby. They went up as soon as posible to save Orin before it's too late.

TO BE CONTINUED...

0