Chapter 3 – Discovering Magic.
5.4k 15 177
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When I recovered, I stood up and wiped the dirt off my body. I stood still and took a 360° turn, observing all the surroundings.

"Did I cause all this?" Look at my own hands. Then I brought them up to my mouth. "Did I do all this with a scream? Let me try." I looked forward and then screamed.

"AAAAAAHH~~"

But it was just embarrassing. No strange power came out.

"What was that then? I need to get out of here. I'm getting thirsty and hungry." I buttoned up my shorts again and started walking away. Crossing the giant wall of uprooted trees that I had created myself was difficult.

With difficulty, I made my way to the other side. I was careful not to use any mysterious powers this time and kept going. I walked for long minutes before I found something different from trees to bushes.

A crystal clear river that had a reasonably powerful current.

I stooped to the river's edge and then drank some water. "Haaaa~~ That's refreshing." I had finally managed to hydrate myself. Now I was excited to continue my journey. "They say that you will reach a city if you follow a river."

I didn't believe that, but I didn't have many options.

So I walked along the riverbank while dodging trees on the way. I don't know how much time passed, maybe almost two hours? I had unlimited water, but the hunger was nearly killing me.

I lost hope of finding a town on the first day.

"I'm going to starve to death!!!!" I moaned as I lay on the riverbank. The rays of sunlight reaching my face were a bit orange, showing that the day was already ending.

I began to get a little worried.

"From everything I've seen so far, I assume this is a fantasy world. So there are probably monsters... Don't they usually get more active during the night?" I swallowed my saliva and looked back.

I looked among the trees for any enemies, but there were still none lurking about.

"That god could have explained to me how to use this power. Usually, in fantasy stories, the main characters need to use their imagination, right? I don't have a very fertile imagination, but I'll try."

I closed my eyes and then lifted my hand.

"OH, FLAME THAT LIGHTS UP THE CREEPY DARKNESS OF THE NIGHT, GET OUT OF MY HAND AND BURN ANYTHING THAT IS IN MY WAY!" I shouted as I imagined a flame coming out of my hand.

Then I opened my eyes and looked at my hand.

"..."

"..."

"Nothing happened." I scratched my head. "Maybe I didn't imagine it well enough? Or maybe I don't need to make that shameful speech I just made up." I pointed my hand toward the river.

Then I thought of the most generic attack in a fantasy story.

"Fireball!" I said. Then I felt my hand heat up, and just then, a fiery ball of fire flew out of my hand and crashed into the water, then disappeared. I could see some steam coming out of the water.

"..."

"OHHHH, IT'S MAGIC!!! IT'S MAGIC!!!" I lost my composure. Again, I threw another fireball. And another one. And another. Several of them. I looked like a kid who had just gotten a "Playstation 5" for Christmas. It was too much happiness!

"Fireball!" I threw one last fireball towards the water. Then I finally managed to calm down.  "I can use a fireball... If I speak the names of other spells, them will activate?"

I tested another fairly common magic.

"Ice spines!" Then, ice spines appeared floating and flew toward the place my hand was directed, into a tree. All the thorns hit it at the same time.

The thorns were more brutal than I imagined. The tree was pierced several times, and its trunk was broken.

"Oops!" The big tree fell toward me. On top of it, I could see a monkey screaming for help before it went out into the water and was carried away by the current. "I'm sorry." I'm sure he didn't hear me.

"But whatever, now I am sure I can use magic. I feel safer now." I put my hands on my waist, proud of my discovery. But I didn't have time to gloat.

The now dark forest began to reveal its real dangers.

"Ouch!" While celebrating my discovery, I felt a pain in my leg. When I looked at my right thigh, I could see that half of an arrow was inside my leg.

"AAAAH! WHAT IS THAT? THAT'S HURTS!" I was not used to that pain. I was taught that you should never take a projectile out of your body so as not to cause bleeding, so I left it there.

I looked toward the forest where the arrow had come from.

Closing my eyes and forcing my vision, I could see a child among the trees.

"A child?" The child took a few more steps forward. Then the moon lit up its face. "ARRGG! WHAT A HIDEOUS CREATURE!" I said as I looked at that strange humanoid-looking monster.

Dark grey skin and bulging eyes. His eyes were completely red and emitted a strange, eye-catching glow. His mouth was always open, revealing sharp and somewhat rotten and damaged teeth.

His privates were on display. He had a considerable instrument despite his size.

"Is that what they call a goblin? No, that's not a goblin.

Goblins are ugly green creatures; they don't look like that... Or that's not how the fantasy books described them." I looked at him for a while and saw him pointing that crossbow at me again.

He wasn't kidding. That arrow would hit directly into my forehead.

"Die! Ice spines!" Ice spines appeared and hit the creature hiding in the tree in less than a second. A critical strike! He died instantly.

I could see one of his eyes fly as he was torn to pieces. That eye was staring at me.

It was frightening.

"I am a grown man! I need to act like one!" I put a serious look on my face and approached the creature's body. There, I found several pieces of meat and organs.

I vomited instantly.

 

Don't forget to click on the little heart :D

177