Chapter 5: Arrival
62 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
All comments are very much appreciated, I’d love to see what you guys think of the story so far. And don’t forget to add it to your reading list!

Chapter 5: Arrival 

Amon and Marquis reappeared with a sudden flash of light in a large open green meadow. As their bodies took form, Marquis quickly dropped to his knees, gasping for air. He begrudgingly turned his gaze towards the pale Amon. "Damn it! You couldn't give me a few seconds to prepare myself?" 

With a cheeky grin, Amon glanced at his friend and replied, "What would that have changed? If anything, you should thank me for getting over it so fast." 

Marquis frowned as his legs wobbled. Seeing that, Amon helped him to his feet. The duo's gaze was then subconsciously drawn to the scenery in front of them. An enormous black mountain split in two as if cut by a sword. Connecting the two sides was a large bridge. Here was the entrance and exit to the abyss. 

A long time ago, on this very same green field they were standing on, rivers of blood and mountains of corpses littered the place. The space below the bridge acted as a dimensional portal, connecting both realms. From it, monsters and creatures straight out of nightmares crawled out. 

It had been their job to fight them. For the sake of humanity, they became monsters themselves. A long sigh escaped Marquis's mouth as he mumbled, "To think I actually came back here." 

Looking at his friend, Amon shook his head before patting his shoulders. "Let's go see the others. The entrance is looking good, so who knows. We might end up out of here before you know it." 

Nodding, Marquis turned to glare at Amon, "This time, we go my way!" 

Amon shrugged and raised his hands in the air with a laugh as he replied, "Be my guest." 

Seemingly satisfied with his answer, Marquis' eyes momentarily shone with a golden glow. Behind him, two large light spears suddenly emerged out of the void. With surprising grace, Marquis jumped on top of one of the spears. He then turned his eyes towards Amon with a smirk. 

"Come on, Marquis. I didn't think you were this petty." 

Smiling, Marquis replied with a shrug, "I don't know what you mean." 

Shaking his head, Amon continued, "You just want to see me fall." 

"Chop, chop. We don't want to be late." 

"I hate you," Answered Amon with a deadpan expression. He glanced at the light spear floating before him and then back at Marquis, who could hardly contain his grin before he hopped on top with a sigh. 

"Hang on tight!" 

"Yeah, this isn't going to work," Amon then quickly lowered himself and laid chest first on the spear handle, his arms wrapped around it just in time as the duo turned into two streaks of light that flew into the distance. 

It didn't take long before they found themselves standing at the foot of the west mountain. Standing before them was an impressive stone keep castle, surrounded by a tall brick wall. Marquis' spears disappeared before the wide-open gate as he landed with a soft thud. 

Amon, on the other hand, was on his knees. His hair was blown backward in a mess. He slowly forced himself to his feet and turned towards Marquis with a glare, "Did I mention that I hate you?" 

Smiling, Marquis patted his head and further ruffled his hair, "Oh, it's okay. I know deep down you love me." 

"You disgust me." 

"Haha! Say what you want. At least my way is better than moving through the damn void." 

"Mine is faster and more convenient," Amon retorted while patting his hair down. 

Their argument was interrupted, however, by a tanned long-haired brunette. Suddenly appearing by the gate, her figure made the two men halt in their tracks. "And here I thought at least Amon would be the first one to arrive." 

Laughing, Amon nudged Marquis as he spoke, "He's the one to blame." 

Shrugging, Marquis glanced at the newcomer with a smile, "Yeah, those lies don't work on Emra."

"Lies? I tell no lies, only the truth, with God as my witness!" Answered Amon with an exaggerated tone.

Emra's golden eyes shone as her lips curved upwards. "It's good to see that you two buffoons are still the same," Saying that, she then walked towards the duo and pulled them both into a hug. 

"How long has it been?" She whispered.

"Far too long," Answered Marquis in a soft tone.

Parting after their hug, Emra playfully slapped Amon in the stomach and spoke, "You're still as skinny as ever." 

"Hey, I'll have you know this is pure muscle. Unlike this giant over here," He answered with a laugh while motioning to Marquis next to him. 

Smirking, Marquis replied with a shrug, "Don't listen to him, Emra. He's just jealous." 

"Hah? Why would I be jealous? and of you from all people." 

"Haha, let's go already. The old man is getting impatient." 

"After you, m'lady," Smiled Marquis. 

As Amon walked past the open gates, the playful gleam disappeared from his eyes. The keep was desolate, giving off a depressing feel. The homes that used to belong to various Abyss dwellers were, run down. The barracks were empty, and the square in front of the castle was missing its usual liveliness. 

The trio continued without stop, making their way towards the stone castle. The large imposing wooden gate had already collapsed. Walking inside, a surge of emotions washed over Amon as he recalled scenes from the past. The sound of their footsteps echoed through the dimly lit hallway. 

The red carpet beneath their feet had long since lost its luster. Paintings depicting scenes of various battles decorated the stone walls. Amon stared at the portraits of Abyss dwellers fighting against incomprehensible monstrosities with a heavy heart. Marquis walking by his side, had his head hanging low as if not daring to look at the pictures. 

Only Emra seemed undisturbed as they walked past the hallway. The trio continued until they reached a medium-sized steel door. Two sets of armor stood by the side, acting as guards. One could mistake them to be nothing more than decoration, but they would be very wrong to do so. Glancing at the golems, Amon gave a simple nod. 

"How is he?" Suddenly asked Marquis as he continued to stare at the closed door. 

Shaking her head, Erma replied with a sigh, "I'm not sure. He still hasn't told me anything." 

"Maybe he's waiting for everyone to come back first?" 

"Perhaps."

Amon remained silent. It was then that the steel door suddenly creaked open with a loud noise, making him frown. "What's the point of keeping it closed when he knows we're here," He mumbled under his breath. 

Once the door was fully open, the trio made their way inside. Greeting them was a large round table with countless empty seats around it. Sitting at the table was an old man. His face was ordinary, with wrinkles around his eyes, and his long grey hair was surprisingly thick for his age, hanging loosely on his shoulders. His face only had a mustache that seemed to compliment his look. 

The moment the trio walked inside, his golden eyes suddenly turned to face them. "You're late," He said, his voice reverberating throughout the empty hall.

Scratching his head awkwardly, Amon was the one to respond. "Uh, but we are the first to arrive."

A grin made its way across the old man's face as he replied, "Oh, would you look at that? You know how to talk back now?" 

A nervous chuckle escaped Amon's mouth as he swiftly moved to hide behind his companions. "Of course not! We came as summoned, father." 

Following Amon's greeting, Marquis spoke in a respectful tone, "Greetings, father." 

2