Chapter 8: Grey monster
78 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 8: Grey monster

"Hey, I know you said no Dragons, but what is this?" Mumbled Emra. 

Amon chuckled by her side, his hand petting the palm-sized bird on the table. "I think it's cute." 

Turning her gaze to glare at him, Emra spoke, "Cute? What's the point of cute if it's useless in battle?" 

Shaking his head, Hector replied, "It's not supposed to be useful in battle, you damn battle junky, it's a communication tool." 

Ignoring him, Emra glanced at Hana, who had a satisfied smile on her face, while staring at the flock of tiny colorful birds. "Hana, are you sure I can't get a Dragon?" 

Rolling her eyes, Hana shook her head before speaking, "No dragons, no angels. It's the best I can do to stay in touch. You better take care of them!" Her eyes shone with a dangerous light, causing the group to nod in agreement. 

"Enough! Will you stay the night?" Asked Ron. 

The room once again descended into silence as the group avoided his gaze. It was evident in their eyes that no one wished to remain here longer than they had to. A small chuckle escaped Ron's mouth, seeing that, "I thought as much, then what are you all waiting for? Get out of here already." 

"Father, we-" 

"Ah, shut up, Amon. Just go." 

Lowering his head, Amon glanced at the old man he called father and gave a deep bow. "If you will excuse me, stay safe, father." 

Nodding, Ron replied with a dismissive wave, "And stop killing your damn employees, no matter if they try to scam you, they are mortals!" 

A small smile extended across Amon's face as he nodded. Marquis, Emra, and Hana soon followed with a deep bow of their own. "Stay safe, father." 

Dameon glanced at the group and then back at Ron, "I'll be staying here for a while." 

His decision raised a few brows. Ron, however, seemed to have seen it coming as he nodded. Hector was the last to move as he walked closer to Ron and asked in a whisper, "Father, do you think you can do a quick divination for me?" 

Rubbing his temples with a sigh, Ron replied, "You are not going to have any children, Hector. Spare the poor mortals." 

"That just means I still haven't found the right one yet!" He answered with a smile, "Now you stay safe too, father." 

With those final words, everyone finally left. Ron's frown eased as an uncharacteristic smile stretched across his face. He then turned to glance at Dameon, who stayed behind. 

"Are you okay, Father?" 

Shaking his head, Ron replied, "You might have to take over soon." 

Dameon's expression turned solemn, "What did you see?" 

"My death." 

****

Outside of the stone keep. Amon and the rest stood side by side as they glanced at their surroundings with complicated emotions. Even the usually nonchalant Hector let out a sigh before he shook his head and spoke, "Well, my dear brothers and sisters, I shall take my leave." 

"Be careful," said Marquis. Hana nodded by his side while Emra waved him goodbye. 

"We'll be seeing you," Added Amon with a smile. 

"Bye~" Saying that Hector's wings glowed brightly, he then shot to the sky and turned into a streak of golden light that disappeared in the distance. 

Hana was the next one to go, summoning a pegasus that carried her away under Emra's envious gaze. Marquis then glanced at Amon, "I don't like this." 

Shaking his head, a grin formed on Amon's face as he playfully slapped Marquis's shoulder, "Oh, c'mon! Think about it. It's an adventure! When was the last time you walked this earth?" 

"Are you calling me old?" Asked Marquis with a frown. 

"Are you kidding me? You're ancient!" Replied Amon, causing the trio to burst into laughter. 

"So, how are we going to do this?" Questioned Emra.

"I can't head to Fes. I got way too many bounties on my head," said Amon. 

Emra nodded and replied, "Alright then, I'll take care of it." 

"I'll head east then," Added Marquis. 

"Wait, you won't come with me?!" Asked Amon with a feigned hurt expression. 

Rolling his eyes, Marquis continued, "You go north, and remember what father told you, no killing the mortals." 

"Fine, fine." 

With that, the trio disappeared in different directions. Amon's body materialized a distance away from the massive mountain. His face reverted to its emotionless state as he glanced at his surroundings. 

"Another damn forest," he mumbled under his breath. 

The sight before him belonged to an ancient forest, with tree branches blocking out the sunlight. With a shrug, he stepped inside the ominous dark forest. All sounds suddenly disappeared as he unhurriedly moved through the thick vegetation. 

His golden eyes flashed as a dark shadow jumped from behind a tree aiming for his neck. Amon took a step back, easily avoiding the sneak attack. His hand shot forward as he grabbed the monster by the neck. A short dark grey humanoid figure with sharp teeth, long ears, and ugly features. 

The monster had blood-red eyes that glared at Amon with madness. It was naked, as he kept flaying about in an attempt to scratch Amon with Its long claws. "What an ugly little guy." 

The monster roared, sending saliva from Its mouth, causing Amon to subconsciously tighten his grip on the monster's neck in disgust. With a sickening crack, the little grey monster stopped moving. 

"Tsk, what a waste, It died so easily," Muttered Amon as he discarded the corpse.

'Now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing such an ugly monster before.'

Raising his head to glance at the tree branch where the little cute bird Hana had summoned was situated, Amon extended his hand to which the bird then jumped towards him, "cute."

"Uh, testing, testing, can you guys hear me?" He spoke to the little bird in his hands, his mana subconsciously seeped towards the bird, and soon another voice replied.

"Tsk, we barely parted ways, and you're already bored?" Said Marquis. 

"He must have missed me," answered Emra.

Rolling his eyes, Amon ignored them and instead spoke to Hana, "Are you there, Hana?" 

Her soft voice replied almost immediately, "Yes, what's the matter?" 

"I came across a disgusting monster in the forest up north." 

"Monsters aren't exactly a rare occurrence over there?" She questioned. 

"Yes, but I don't think I've ever seen this one before." 

"Wait," right after she answered, the eyes of the little bird in Amon's hand began to glow. He calmly moved it towards the dead monster's corpse and motioned with his hands. 

"See, that grey skin and ugly face, not to mention it's humanoid." 

"I don't recognize it either..." 

"Not even you?" The frown on Amon's face deepened as his gaze moved towards a deeper part of the forest. 

"Just my luck," he sighed before continuing, "It seems like there's more of them." 

"Do you think this might be one of those signs father mentioned?" Emra asked in a solemn tone. 

"I'm not sure, but you guys be careful. I'll let you know if I find any sign of a portal." 

2