Chapter Eighteen
48 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trio fell into quiet conversation as they waited for the bus to arrive. They talked about interests, stories from childhood, culture and the like. Clouds gathered outside and rain began to drizzle. They continued waiting for the bus. 

“When is the bus going to arrive?” Echo finally asked, looking out the window watching the rain fall.

“Uh, don’t really know we don’t have a phone with us.” Aleta pointed out shrugging.

“I’ll ask.” Echo responded standing up and heading to the counter. They waited a few moments for the cashier to come back. “Excuse me, do you know when the bus is supposed to be here?”

“Uh, no not really, but I can look it up real quick for you.”

“Thank you.”

The worker pulled out a phone and began to type on it. A few minutes passed before she responded, “It looks like the bus should arrive in about ten more minutes.”

Echo nodded, “Alright, thank you.” They then turned on their heel and walked back to the table. They slid into their seat next to Aleta, “Ten more minutes.” They informed.

Enzo and Aleta nodded. The alarms outside had quieted slightly. Echo still turned their attention to the road. They noticed a few cars passing by, but other than that the streets were desolate. Echo found that odd considering they had heard this was supposed to be a busy street. 

“There’s not much traffic today, is there.” Aleta noted following Echo’s gaze.

“Guess not.”

They fell into silence for a few moments. “Hey, do you know of any cool urban legends?” Echo finally asked.

Aleta perked up, “Yeah, there’s this one…”

Echo listened to Aleta intently as she spun the tale, enthralled. Enzo looked on, wishing he had a camera to capture the moment. Chimes rang out as someone else entered. Ezno looked over to see. Shoulders tensed as he became on guard. They didn’t seem to be an immediate threat. A man and a woman, human, stood at the counter deciding what to order. A couple, he assumed.

 Enzo stopped tracking them and turned back to Aleta and Echo. They hadn’t seemed to notice. He would continue to stay on the lookout. Let the other two have fun, hopefully he can make these moments happen more often, once he has gotten them out of danger. He looked back out the window. His eyes caught the site of movement and he zoned in on it. A car passed in front of him, making him lose focus. His expression fell into a scowl and looked away.

“The bus is here!” Aleta pointed out excitedly. The bus had just rounded the corner.

“Oh sweet!” Echo stood, followed by their two friends.

Echo took the lead and walked out of the shop heading to the bench. Aleta followed immediately after them. Enzo took the rear. They all took a set next to one another on the bench. A chime sounded behind them and Enzo looked back, out came the couple holding a cup of what was probably coffee. 

They walked toward them, “Mind if we sit here?” The woman asked, pointing to the opposite end of the bench from the trio.

“No problem!” Aleta resonded moving over slightly to make more room.

“Waiting for the bus?” Echo asked absentmindedly.

“Yeah,” The man replied blandly, “Where are you guys headed?”

Enzo narrowed his eyes, and nudged Echo giving them a quick glance of skepticism.

Echo seemed to catch on, “Where going to that one place, with the, the,” Echo snapped their fingers, “Can’t remember what it was called, it's got the thingy,” they made vague gestures with their hands, “And it goes like this,” more vague gestures.

Before the couple could ask them to elaborate, the bus pulled up. Enzo stood immediately gabbing Aleta’s and Echo’s hands guiding them to the bus. The duo followed behind them. The trio stepped on the bus and Enzo quickly muttered something to the driver, who pulled out a jar that Enzo began to fill. Once it was halfway filled Enzo pulled his hand away and turned down the aisle. 

“I paid for us all.” Enzo informed looking back at Echo and Aleta. 

They nodded and observed their surroundings. There were about five other people aboard two groups of two and a single person in the front. Enzo took a seat in the front on one side and pointed to the two open seats on the other side. Echo nodded and sat down near the window followed by Aleta. The couple sat directly behind them.

Echo shifted nervously. The bus’s doors closed and they began to move. Aleta rested her head on Echo’s shoulder and began to relax slightly. Echo rested their head on top of hers, careful to avoid laying their head on her ears. They drifted by the first few stops some people got on and a few got off. The couple stayed seated.

“Crystal lane station!” The driver announced parking the bus. The doors hissed open and the tio stood walking to the door. Aleta was first followed by Echo then Enzo. Enzo noticed the couple walking behind him. Now he really felt they were being trailed.

They exited the bus and Enzo moved close to Echo, “We’re being trailed we need to lose them.” Better paranoid than kidnapped… again.

Echo nodded stubbly as they entered the station. Echo linked their arm with Aleta’s making sure not to lose her. Enzo walked close behind them as they made sharp turns in the crowd. They went a very roundabout way to find the correct station to buy tickets. Aleta paid at the counter. The worker gave them each a ticket. They took a more convoluted path to the train. 

They kept their heads down when they boarded. Handing the ticket to the worker collecting them. They took a seat in the back corner as more people piled into the train cart. Enzo watched the door making sure the couple that were (maybe) trailing them didn’t enter. He tensed when he saw the man peek in looking around the cart in a searching manner. Enzo turned to the duo making it look like they were in an intense conversation while still protecting their identities.

He looked back a few minutes later and didn’t see him. Relief filled his heart. His face stayed cold however. An announcement rang through the speakers as the train began to light up and move.

 

----------

 

The man cursed as he stood with his wife. “I was sure that was them.” 

His wife layed a gentle hand on his shoulder. “It may not have been, the one with green hair didn’t have any freckles.”

“You’re right, but still, did you see the way they avoided us? It had to be the chosen.”

His wife sighed, “Even if they were, it wouldn't matter now. We have no idea what train they boarded.”

“I suppose you're right. Let’s continue the search. Her majesty will reward us handsomely if we find them.”

His wife giggled, “Don’t get too caught up in it. There's thousands of other people hoping to nab that reward too.”

“Yeah yeah, it doesn't hurt to hope however.”

The duo walked away.

6