Chapter Nineteen
71 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trio had been on the train for hours. They had begun to notice people who seemed to look at them every once in a while. Echo couldn’t help but expect them to be trailing them. They leaned towards Enzo.

“Do you know if the queen has some kind of reward for our capture?” They muttered.

Enzo leaned over to, “Most likely.”

Echo giggled like he told them something funny. They then turned their attention back to talking with Aleta.

“What time is it?” Aleta asked.

“I have no idea.” Echo responded.

“The clock over there says it's 4:13 p.m.” Enzo pointed out.

Echo looked up at what Enzo pointed at. “Huh, this place does have a clock.”

“Yep. We’re getting off at the next stop. Then we will board another train. It will bring us closer to the border. We will most likely only have to board one more after that.”

Echo groaned. “This is getting really boring.”

Enzo chuckled.

“Glad you're taking amusement from my suffering.” Echo accused, punching Eno softly in the shoulder.

 

----------

 

Across the country Alcina leaned on a desk, teeth clenched, nails digging into her skin. She began to giggle under her breath before breaking out into maniacal laughter. Her assistant stood to the side sending a slight prayer to their patron god. The assistant had already directed a few of the managers to contact mental health professionals. Aclina was going to hate him, but she is becoming a danger to herself and others. he thought sadly to himself, It will be ok, she will get the help she needs

It pained him to see his long time friend suffering like this. Even if she didn’t realize her own deteriorating mental state. A soft knock came from the door. The assistant could see Aclina become even more agitated. Silently he walked to the door opening it. A mental health professional and police officer greeted him.

Aclina looked up, “Why are they here?” She hissed glaring at the assistant.

“I’m sorry I’ve tried to help the best I could.” He apologized, stepping back, guilt tugging on his conscience.

“High priestess Aclina, we are just here to ask a few questions. This is a mere wellness check. We are not going to hurt you in any way.”

Aclina growled at them, “Fuck off. I’m perfectly fine.” She spat out.

“Priestess Aclina please–”

“NO!” Aclina slammed her fist on the desk drawing blood, “I. Am. Perfectly fine.” She insisted with a shaky voice. Glaring at the people in front of her.

The therapist frowned, “I’m sorry.”

The police officer steps forward ready to detrain the women.

Aclina began to rage and fight using her high mana control and capacity to her advantage. The police officers had ordered the assistant and therapist out. The assistant immediately got to work clearing the surrounding area making sure no workers were nearby to witness this disaster. The therapist had a sad look on his face. He shook his head slightly.

Aclina exited the room restrained by the officer having had her hands handcuffed behind her back to prevent further injuries. Her lips curled as she screamed bloody murder demanding to be let go. The officer escorting her had several cuts and bruises, he grimaced as he led her to the secured police car. Aclina screams were incomprehensible by the time she was forced in. The assistant began to cry silently off to the side. He could barely recognize her.

 

----------

 

“What the fuck do you mean their not dead.” Jojin demanded.

“Sir, they hijacked the car. The only reason I can think of how they would still be alive is because of divine intervention!” The random extra explained, “Which isn’t too far fetched if you think about it…” A contemplative look fell over her face.

Jojin seathed.

“You know what thinking about it, this is a really bad idea, bye~” 

Jojin sat stunned in his chair. Face pale. “What? You can leave now–”

The extra closed the door in Jojin’s face. Jojin slammed his hand down onto the table. Shooting pain reminded him he no longer had that hand.

“Fuck!” He cried clenching his stump. He took a deep breath to relieve some of the pain. His hand slammed on the table again pushing everything off of it sending papers and glass tumbling to the ground. Loud crashing echoed around him.

He turned pushing some of his mana into the wall behind him. It began to transform, turning into a board with news articles, sticky notes, images, and red string all on top of a map. A conspiracy board if you will. Damn, Echo must be cursed with how many shitty priests they’ve met so far. He tore a few things down, tossing them to the floor. He opened a drawer off to the side of the board pulling out sticky notes and sharpies. He used his teeth to uncap the sharpie and turned setting it all down on the desk behind him.

With his one hand he scribbled a few things out using his stump to hold it in place best he could. He did this a few more times. He turned around with the sticky notes stuck to his arm. He began to place them on the board. They contained knowledge he had recently gained, plans he could carry out and where. Where he could find supplies and people willing to help him in his goal. 

He could not fail this time. It may be his last chance.

 

----------

 

Juniper had issued a search for Echo. She had fun playing, but now it was time for her kitten to come home. She sat in her office trying to focus on the work she needed to get done. Towers of papers littered the room. Finally she put the pencil down and stood. 

“Alpha,” she called.

He joined her side.

“I’m getting tired of waiting,” She announced.

Alpha bowed his head, “I will set out shortly.”

Juniper gritted her teeth

“I’ll get sir Noah and sir Jasmine to guard.”

Juniper waved her hand, “I suppose they will have to do.”

Alpha bowed before contacting the duo. They arrive in a hurry, almost running into the room. Alpha didn’t doubt they were running to get to the room though. The guards went into a deep bow before the queen, only rising when she allowed them to. They joined her side.

Alpha bowed to the queen once more before swiftly turning on his heel and exiting. His face was stoick and his stride confident. Internally however he could help but feel a tad giddy, it had been ages since he was allowed to go on a search. 

This one was bound to be one of the most thrilling yet.

4