Chapter Twenty
41 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The trio boarded another train three hours ago. By now the sun had fallen from the sky and the moon had risen. The train rocked softly as it traveled, the train cart they were in held no more than ten people in it. Most seemed to be heading home from a long day at work, or heading to work for their night shift.

Beside Echo Aleta slept soundly on top of their lap as they drank a nice cup of coffee they had managed to obtain. Enzo sat on the other side of them. His head drooped slightly as he fought to stay awake. Echo was not helping. They softly pet the top of his head causing him to purr softly under his breath and relax. Within an hour Echo sat as the only person in their group still awake.

The intercom came on overhead, “Stopping at Jolly city station.”

“Pfft! Jolly city.”

Enzo jolted awake sitting up and looking around. He yawned, blinking. “We’re already in Jolly city?” He questioned.

“Yep, where are we getting off anyway?”

“Tilly Station.”

“What is with this naming?” Echo questioned under their breath. “Hehe titty.”

“Tilly.” Enzo corrected.

Echo blew a raspberry at him.

The door hissed open allowing a few people off and a few on. Echo and Enzo observed the people shuffling onto the train. There didn’t appear to be anyone noteworthy as the people entering the train took a seat on one of the various open spots around the train. The train doors closed once more, the train continued on its journey

Echo eyes drooped slightly as they released a long yawn.

Enzo felt a sudden longing to awe at the sight, “Maybe you should get some rest.” he suggested lightly.

Echo nodded, sinking back into the seat as they cuddled closer to Aleta softly placing their head on top of hers, eyes closed, breath light. Enzo looked away as his hand grasped Echo’s lightly. Their own hand lightly squeezing back as they hummed lowly.

Enzo breathed out slowly relaxing his stiff shoulders as he began to take in his surroundings ears twitching side to side as his eyes gazed around the cabin, quickly realizing the only people left on the train were two businessmen talking lowly to one another and a young man looking to be in his mid twenties gazing blankly down at his phone. 

Enzo’s ears picked up on the low rumble of the train, a tranquil buzzing of mana as it powered the train, the quiet conversation happening three seats over and the soft breathing of his two companies, sleeping soundly at his side.

Enzo hummed softly to himself as he sunk farther into his seat. Closing his eyes lightly and listening in to the sounds around him. 

 

----------

 

….scrrrreeeeaaaaaacchhhhh….

 

Faintly Enzo picked up on the sound of the train’s wheels squeaking to a quiet stop. His brows furrowed as his stomach dropped and worry sweeped into his mind. Sitting up in his seat he became fully alert, eyes zipping around the cabin to find it no different than before he closed his eyes.

Softly he elbowed Echo attempting to wake them up. All he received in turn for his efforts was a grunt and Echo turning away from him.

“Echo,” He called out whisper yelling into her ear, “Wake up, somethings not right– Ow!”

“Fuuuuck off…” Echo drawled hand coming up to smack Enzo in the nose, not even bothering to wake up.

Enzo looked on with a miffed expression. “Well fuck me than.” he couldn’t help but mutter under his breath. Standing to his full height he assessend his next option, Aleta. With soft footfalls he approached, he tapped her a few times on the shoulder a few times, attempting to wake her. No response. Unease snarled as he prepared to try again, something wasn’t quite right. The other people on the train seemed to sense it at last as well.

“Why hasn’t the doors opened yet…” 

Enzo faintly registered the question. His face paled as his stomach dropped to his feet. “Aleta!” He cried, urgency sweeping into his voice.

Aleta woke with a start, sitting straight up as Echo’s head lifted only to fall right back on her shoulder, and looking around frantically a cute frown plaster across her lips, “wah–” 

“The train’s stopped.” Enzo explained.

“Oh… are we there then?” She asked yawning as she rubbed her eyes.

“I don’t believe so.” Enzo replied with an uneasy frown.

“Oh… what's wrong then?” She questioned softly, turning to wake Echo, nudging them, “Hey wake up.”

Echo grumbled and turned away.

“I’m not sure yet,” Enzo replied.

Aleta turned to him with a frown, “Not sure,” 

“Yeah we stopped a little bit ago and the doors haven’t opened, nor has the intercom come on.”

Aleta's face turned to one in thought as she processed the new information. “But that doesn’t happen…” Her eyes widened as she shot up, face paling, “Echo wake up.” She demanded, feeling her hands begin to shake.

Echo suddenly jolted, smacking Aleta in the face as she sat up suddenly. “What.” She questioned, blinking groggily.

“OW.” Aleta clutched her nose, Enzo winced in sympathy.

“Oh shit sorry.” Echo appologized. “So we here? Why aren’t the doors open tho?” Echo shot off.

“The Royal guard's doing a sweep of the train!” Aleta squeaked.

Echo blinked twice, “Eh?” 

“The royal guard…?” Someone muttered. 

“But why would they sweep the train?” another more confused voice asked, presumably the first compain.

“Booooo.” Echo complained.

 

Wirlllllll 

 

The train door opened.

The chatter of the cabin ceased.

“Don’t be suspicious.” Echo muttered under their breath. “Hi!” They greeted, standing up.

Aleta froze.

Enzo wanted to sob.

The guards turn to look at them, guns turned the trios way. Aleta and Enzo but their hands up. Echo ginned manicaly.

“I am running on thirty minutes of sleep no caffeine and hatred.” they confessed, eyes unblinking as their voice turned shaking with malice, “Fucking try me bitch.” Unhinged giggling poured out between each word.

The guards shifted uncomfortably as they addressed the three, “Aleta and Enzo you are under arrest for the kidnapping of the chosen one.” They announced.

Echo turned confused, “the fuck did they know it was us?”

“Changing outfits is not that believable to a disguise.” One of the guards stationed behind the leader muttered.

“Ah,” Echo conceded, “fuck.” Their brows came together as they blinked once, “But wait how’d you know I’m Echo?”

“... We didn’t.” The lead guard replied.

Aleta groaned. Enzo smacked Echo upside the head.

“Huh, good thing I’m not the chosen tho, ah ha.” They laughed weakly.

“Your grace please, just come with us peacefully.” The lead basically begged.

Echo narrowed their eyes, “hmmmm…” they trailed off in contemplation.

“... We’re gonna fucking die.” Aleta muttered to herself, wanting to cry.

The guards moved forwards.

Echo pounced.

4