Chapter Twenty Three
37 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sweat beads down Echo’s face as they march through the undergrowth thriving beneath the thick canopy created by the trees littering the forest. The sun reaching high into the sky, indicating they had been walking for some time.

“Are we sure this is the right direction?” Aleta questions as the walk.

“Its the direction Chaos’s arrows point,” Echo responded, “So your guess is as good as mine.”

“Hey! I’ll have you know I followed your instructions perfectly! This is east.” Chaos refuted.

Echo paused at that, “Chaos what direction is the nearest village?” they asked, annoyance bubbling up in their chest.

Northeast.”

“YOU–” Echo cut themself off taking a deep breath, “Would you please point us TO THE VILLAGE?!” Echo roared, tired, hunger, and pissed off.

The arrows changed direction without a word, Echo seethed.

“Bad news Chaos wasn’t pointing us to the village, good news, they are now.” Echo hissed, informing the others about the development.

Aleta’s eye twitched. “I’m gonna fucking kill them.”

Echo could help but agree.

They trudged on.

----------

“Oh thank the gods!” Aleta breathed as she moved pasted the worst of the thicket, revealing the glorious sight of a village resting peacefully before her. Without wasting a moment she hopped down the hill taking off towards town with an excited whoop.

“Hey- wait up!” Echo called, taking off after her. Enzo following in their wake.

Aleta darted down the street, passing the few houses placed along the road, eyes scanning for signs of air conditioning and water. Her eyes light up, tail twitching happily, as she caught site of a convenience store, proudly displayed between two other, smaller stores. Aleta flung the door open and the sweet feeling of cool air meet her burning skin faster then you could say come back with a warrant.

Aleta scrambled to the small fridge placed near the cashier, tugging it open with a bit more force than necessary. Her hands met the smooth surface of plastic as she pulled two water bottled out.

“Holy crap Aleta! How are you so fast?!” Echo panted as they bent down, placing their hands on their knees, attempting to catch their breath.

“Please be more careful, Its dangerous to run off like that.” Enzo softly scolded as he watch her give the bottles of water to the cashier.

“Sorry…” She trailed off not sounding it one bit.

Enzo sighed, exasperated.

“The fuck aren’t you out of breath?!” Echo exclaimed.

Enzo merely patted their head in a placating manner. Echo grumbled. Aleta passed the duo a bottle.

“Oh thank you so much,” Echo exclaimed, popping the cap open and dumping the contents down their throat.

“Nooo– You’ll throw up, bad!” Enzo squawked, pulling the bottle way, only to realize half was already gone, “... Gods damn it Echo.”

“Give it back.” They demand holding their hand out.

Sip it.”

Echo groaned, “Fine,” They agreed snatching it out of his hands.

Aleta held her own bottle out to him, wordlessly urging him to drink.

“No thank you darling, I’ll get my own, drink up ok?” He reassured pushing the bottle back towards Aleta.

Aleta gave him a worried glance. To which Enzo smiled softly, pulling a water out of the fridge besides him, showing it off to reassure her. Reluctantly Aleta sipped the water once more. Enzo turned away ready to make his purchase.

"Echo, come on, we need to fit your make up." Aleta called.

Enzo heard Echo grumble before agreeing, the sound of the duo footsteps echoing from behind him as he paid for his drink. Once they were out of ear shot Enzo took a quick glance around the store, spotting no one other then himself and his companions. With silent steps he stalked after the two stopping not far from the entrance of the bathrooms, his back to doors. Keeping an eye out. His shoulders tense as he continued to scan the area.

Back in the restroom with Echo and Aleta, Echo pouted slightly as Aleta wiped a damp paper towel over their eyes, getting rid of the excess makeup that had begone to smear.

"Hold still..." Aleta muttered as she pressed to towel against Echo's cheek.

Echo cringed.

"There!" Aleta announced, pulling away from the disgruntled Echo.

Echo lit up, eyes shimmering as they tensed, ready to jump off the counter they sat on, Only to hesitate momentarily, "Am I free to go?" They asked.

"No."

"Fuck." Echo slumped.

"Look at me." Aleta demand, lowly.

Echo puffed out their cheeks as they looked up, meeting Aleta's gaze. She held as contouring stick menacingly close to their face.

Echo tried not to cry.

Enzo stood guard out side wondering what was taking them so long. His shoulders had slouched back down to a neutral positions as his half glided over the towering aisles. A soft sigh left his lips as he closed his eyes for a second, his cat like ears twitching every so often to pick up ever noise from across the store.

Ring ring ring

The bell sounded. Enzo's eyes snapped up zeroing in on the sound.

"Welcome." The tired voice of the cashier echoed from the other side of the store in a lazy manner.

Enzo shifted position, straightening up as he stepped around the shelf, eyes narrowing on the duo that stood at the front of the store presenting a piece of paper to the lady running the cash and mana register. Their voices to quite to pick up on the words, sounding like low buzzing gibberish from where Enzo stood. Enzo could help but curse them out in his head as he moved closer on silent feet.

"Those three? Yeah they came in like-- I don't know -- ten fifteen minutes ago?" the cashier informed.

Enzo could have screamed, ducking back behind the sleeves.

"What's you say there name were?" A quite mutter followed, "No I don't know where they went." The cashier sounded annoyed at this point. "Look, I have no idea were anyone goes after they leave this shop I-- HOLY FUCK THAT'S A GUN!"

1