Chapter Twenty Eight
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Enzo rouse with the sun as it slowly beads in through the overhead window, glaring into his eyes. Staring up at the ceiling for a few moments he gathered his bearings before sitting up, looking left to see both Aleta and Echo sleeping soundly. A small smile graced his face before he swings his feet over the edge of the cot and places them on the cold, hard, wooden floor. Bring his arms up high above him and arching his back he stretched out, his back making a satisfying crack.

Shuffling up onto his feet he retrieved some clothes Johnny had left behind for him. Holding them with one hand he opened the door before taking one last look at the sleeping duo. A soft smile light up his face as he turned to leave the room. Walking a few paces down the hall he came across the bathroom, quickly slipping in and shutting the door behind him.

Enzo exited the bathroom wearing a shirt two sizes to big and a pair of pants cinched to his waist. The clothes uncomfortably baggy on him. He frowns as he makes his way back to the room, planning to check up on the duo. As he shifted his focus from the ill fitting clothes to the hallway he spotted Gracie at the door, knocking against it. Frowning to himself as he drew near his ears twitched towards the thin wall Aleta and Echo were behind. From doing so he was able to pick up the faint sound of Aleta shuffling about, presumably to come open the door.

“Good morning.” Enzo greeted in a monotone voice from behind Gracie.

“Ah!” Gracie jumped turning to face Enzo, “You scared me! You really know how to sneak up on someone huh?”

“Yeah, he does that,” Aleta cut in, yawning after.

Gracie’s face lit up with alarm again, turning her head to face Aleta, “My gods, please stop. My heart can’t take this.”

Aleta winced, “Eh, sorry.”

“Well,” She cleared her throat, “I just came here to tell you that breakfast is about done, once we eat we’ll be on our way.”

Aleta nodded, “Alright thank you, I’ll go wake Echo.”

“No problem!” Aleta began closing the door before Gracie stopped her once more, “One more thing! Here’s some of mine and Hannah’s old clothes, they might fit you? And we had this extra drawstring bag, if you need something to hold your clothes in?”

Aleta looked at the clothes and bag curiously as she took them, peering at the mildly stained pairs of clothes, “Thank you.” She said before closing the door.

Gracie and Enzo stood in silence for a few tense moments.

“So whats for breakfast?”

“Eggs and toast.”

Enzo merely nodded.

A distant thumb resounding through the air followed shortly after by a muffled, “Wake up!” from Aleta. A groan followed the command.

Gracie frowned, “Are they alright.”

“Yeah, Echo’s just a heavy sleeper,” Enzo dismissed, walking away towards the kitchen.

----------

Enzo sat at the table with a plate of eggs and a couple pieces of toast with Aleta walked in. As soon as he spotted her he pause, placing a bite of egg back onto his plate, “Good morning.”

Aleta gave his a sleepy smile, “Mor-Ing,” She greeted back, words punctuated by a yawn.

“Good morning Aleta, I’ve got a couple of eggs and toast done, would you like them?” Hannah asked from her place by the stove.

“Yes please,” Aleta replied with gusto, walking over to retrieve a plate. She sat down next to Enzo, plate filled with eggs and two pieces of toast. Just as she sat down to eat Echo walked in, wearing a worn pair of jeans and a loose shirt, grumbling slighting. They waved once before stumbling over to Hannah, grabbing a plate and thanking her before coming to the table to eat. Hannah and Gracie joined them not long after and the whole crew ate.

As they began finished up, Hannah spoke, “It’ll take around three hours to get to the edge of Moonhaven, here are your IDs to get in.” She tossed three IDs onto the table.

Echo frowned as they picked their’s up, “Why do we need IDs to get into the city?” They received a confused look from everyone for a moment before realization hit them.

“Oh, right! Not from here.” Gracie realized it first, “Right so, Moonhaven is a pretty closed off place, you can’t get in unless you have a valid ID saying you live in the country or have permission to be there.”

“Dang, is permission hard to get?”

“No, not really, I think its just the way the country sees who comes and goes from the capital.”

“That’s odd.”

“Maybe.”

“Anyway,” Gracie drew there attention back, “We can get you to the edge of the city but we can’t go in.”

The trio gave an inquisitive look.

“We got banned a couple years ago.”

“… because?”

Hannah and Gracie merely smiled.

“Ok then.”

“The only problem we’ve ran into is with your goose.” Gracie explained, “You see we couldn’t get a pet permit for a goose nor any kind of animal permit for that matter.”

Echo waved them off, “Throw him in the back he’ll figure out a way in on his own.”

“Are you quite sure? I don’t think--”

Echo cut her off once more, “Yeah, he came from Chaos, that goose will figure it out.”

A distant and persistent thump came from the glass sliding door. Briefly the five turned their attention to it. Seeing Carrot banging his wings against the door giving them a pleading look.

“He’ll be fine.” Enzo commented.

Gracie and Hannah shrugged, “Whatever you say.”

“Also why is my name on here Dandy?” Echo asked, incredulous.

Hannah shrugged, “Its a common name around here.”

Echo stared on dead panned.

Aleta patted their back, “There, there, mines Daisy.”

Echo nearly cried, “Why is yours normal???”

“Well no time to dwell on that its time to hit the road!” Gracie cheered, picking herself up and walking out the door. The rest of the entourage following close behind, Aleta taking a brief detour to scoop up Carrot, holding him gently in her arms. Enzo look ready to kill the poor thing.

Echo climbed into the backseat of the car sitting on the window side followed by Enzo who was shoved into the middle by Aleta once she’d finished getting Carrot settled. Hannah climbed into the drivers seat with Gracie in the passengers.

“Everyone buckled and ready to go?” Gracie checked the back seat seeing everyone indeed buckled up. “Lets hit it!”

And they were off tearing down a dirt road and onto the freeway making their way from the small dirt road town into the big city. Echo nearly bouncing off the walls as theirs hopes flew. Ready to find some hint on how to get back home.

1