Chapter Twenty Nine
20 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The sun hung high in the sky when Hannah pulled over into a nearby parking lot, a mere two mile away from the gate.

“Alright here we are,” Hannah announced as she put the truck in park, “That building there is a rental service, they can get you in.”

“Thank you.”

“Thanks!”

“Your welcome, and good luck!” Gracie called back as the trio piled out of the car, coming around to the back to get Carrot out as well.

The trio and goose stood off to the side as Hannah and Gracie pulled away, waving as they left. Leaving Echo, Enzo, and Aleta alone with nothing but the clothes on their back and a single drawstring bag. Also Carrot.

“Well, lets head in then.” Enzo recommended, turning to face the brick walls of the rental service.

“No time like the present.” Echo agreed, beginning the trek to the front door, opening it for their friends to go in first. As they stepped in the store they took in the smell of rubber and the sight of the small line up to the counters.

“Nothing like waiting twenty minutes in a line to try and get a rental.”

“No joke.”

Silence fell over the group of a few moments before a thought came to Echo, “Who knows how to drive?”

“I do,” Enzo replied nonchalantly.

“Oh thank time, I have no idea.”

“You never learned to drive?” Aleta asked curiously.

Echo merely stared at her.

“Oh! Right.”

“Our turn.” Enzo announced, getting the twos attention as he walked up to the empty counter.

“Already? I taught that’d taken longer.”

As Enzo chatted with the rental person Echo leaned against the counter taking in the sight of an otherworldly rental service. “Yep,” Echo popped the p, “It’s exactly the same as I remember them to be.”

Aleta looked over curiously.

“Boring!” they complained, bonking their head onto Aleta’s shoulder.

Aleta patted their head. Echo tried not to cry out of sheer boardum.

“Alright lets go.”

Echo lifted their head up with lightning speed, “Already? Its been like five minutes.” Enzo nodded. “Huh, never mind this place is way faster then I remember them being.” Echo nearly skipped out of the shop and into the parking garage, “Which one are we taking?”

Enzo led them to a series of smaller cars, pointing to a white one, “That one.” He decided unlocking it and pulling open the drivers side door.

“Ok!” Echo climbed in back Carrot popping in with them, Aleta sat in the passengers seat. “Lets drive!” they cheered, giddy. Carrot squawked in agreement.

Enzo pulled out of the parking lot with expert skill, taking off down the road. “There it is.” He looked off into the distance able to stop the tall walls of the city. A five minute drive brought them to the end of a long line of cars passing into the city. “Now we wait.”

Echo popped the door open, “Ok Carrot, find a way in, we’ll be there soon.”

“Squawk!” Carrot waddled off wandering around the cars and trucks littering the road, Echo closing the door behind him.

“You think he’ll get in?” Aleta asked a hit of worry in her voice.

“Oh yeah, he somehow ended up with Chaos he’ll find his way into a overprotected city.”

Aleta sighed, “I suppose I’ll have to believe you.”

“When have a ever let you down!”

Aleta had a violent flashback, shuddering.

“Don’t answer that,” Echo amended.

Enzo chuckled, a warm feeling building in his chest as he listened to his loves banter.

----------

Enzo was going to kill Echo.

“79 bottles of beer on the wall 79 bottles of beer, take one down pass it around 78 bottles of beer on the wall!” Echo sang, layed back on across the seats, it’d been an hour since they’d first enter the line and they were final near the end.

“IDs please.”

“Oh thank fuck.” Enzo sighed in relief as he heard the voice of the worker outside his window, cutting of Echo, “Here,” He handed over his ID, then grabbed Aleta’s and Echo’s handing them over as well.

The worker gave them each a long glance, “Alright, head on in.” he said handing over the IDs and waving them away.

Enzo drove away heading past the looming walls and interning the inner city. Echo gasped as they looked out the window seeing cute store fronts in front of sky high sky scrapers. Cars of all kinds driving around them, each glowing with mana. The lights and billboards littering the sides of the road displaying all kinds of weird and unique items. Echo’s face was glued to the window.

“Were to first?” Aleta broke the silence.

“Food!” Echo cheered poking here head up to the front seats.

Enzo hummed looking around, “Alright, there's a place just up ahead we can pop by there and get some lunch.” He pointed ahead to a little restaurant called Moonlight cafe, “We should get a new bag and clothes after, no way the church will let us in as we are know, at least not into the library.”

Aleta looked down and grimaced at her attire. “No joke.”

Echo payed no mind to the topic of new clothes, bouncing up and down in excitement as Enzo pulled into the parking lot of the restaurant. He had to circle it twice before finding a spot. Echo all but hopped out of the car as soon as it parked bouncing on their toes as their companies followed behind

The trio had just sat down with a menu when the door flung open a loud honk piercing the peace they had been enjoying. Carrot the goose had found them.

“Oh gods no.” Enzo whinnied face paling as he stared at the white goose in all its glory.

The waiters were quick to try and shove him away, but carrot persisted, hissing and displaying his vicious teeth as well as batting them away with his massive wings. As Carrot created a ruckus Echo attempted to hid their laughter behind their hand. Aleta pulled out her own phone to record the spectical.

“Definitely one of Chaos’s,” Aleta commented with a laugh.

Enzo groaned in annoyance. Pots and pans banging together followed his expression of annoyance and the next thing the trio new was Carrot walking proudly up to them, the carnage of the room behind him leaving him unbothered.

“Honk!” He proclaimed as he flew into the empty spot beside Aleta, nuzzling up to her.

Aleta could help but laugh and indulgence the menace giving him pets of his featury hand. Carrot soaked up all the attention. Enzo gritted his teeth as his grip on the menu tightened. His desire to kill the wretched creature intensify every moment he looked at it.

Carrot gave him an unquestionable smug look. Echo snorted, covering her mouth as they began laughing uncontrollably. In the background the staff bustled about trying to fix the damage that had been done by the demon goose.

Carrot basked in the chaos.

1