Chapter 04 : Soul Shard
620 2 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was the ultimate truth that there were no real secrets in this world. Duke Norman learned this the hard way when the news of his son’s disgraceful results spread the next day. It was the talk of the town! He could hear the palace ladies, the maids, the merchants, and even the beggars in the streets whispering behind his back.

He was furious, knowing better than anyone that the culprit must have been that magistrate, beside him, he was the only one who knew this secret!
What a bastard, acting like a true gentleman during the ceremony and then stabbing him in the back once he turned around.

Thankfully another one of his children, the daughter of a concubine, achieved marvelous results by having the Sword Saint skill. She allowed him to regain some face. She would be a perfect bride candidate to the immortal emperor. He had already heard the news released by the custodians. The emperor had been born! But for some reason, they didn’t yet announce his identity.

Damn it. Like others he also wished that the emperor would be born in his household, that’s why he married all of those concubines and spent the last year in bed with them!

The prophecy had clearly said that the emperor would be born this year… He was ready, he even let all of his wives and concubines perform the imperial ritual when they got pregnant. Hoping that the emperor would be born as his son!

All these tiresome nights were wasted. Damn it! He struck the table in anger as he remembered Ray’s results which made him feel sour again.

If Penelope hadn't already given birth to three children with great talents, he would have punished her!
Just a little… No…
Maybe just A teeny tiny bit?
Her health was too bad after all and it was getting worse every day. None of the doctors knew what was wrong with her.
She was making him a little distressed as he really liked her.

“Your highness… There is some disturbing news,” the duke's secretary, Paul, ran to the office and entered without even knocking. He was very disturbed.

“What?” the duke asked angrily.

“It’s about the immortal emperor… There is some news!” Paul said, catching his breath and waving a document toward his master.

The duke jumped from his chair, grabbed the document from his assistant’s shaking hand, and quickly read it. This was the news he was waiting for!

ALL CELEBRATE AND REJOICE!

THE STARS HAVE ALIGNED AND THE IMMORTAL EMPEROR HAVE BEEN BORN!

MAY HE LIVE LONG AND MAY THE EMPIRE PROSPER!

URMAN LASTRING,
THE MASTER CUSTODIAN,
THE CUSTODIANS' TOWER,
27/F03/1000

SIDE NOTE :

DUE TO AN ERROR IN THE ASTRAL CALCULATIONS, THE CUSTODIANS FAILED TO SIGNAL OUT THE IMMORTAL EMPEROR’S BIRTH LOCATION.

WE REQUEST OF ALL THE HONORABLE OWNERS OF THE NOBLE IMPERIAL BLOOD TO REPORT ANY CHILDREN BORN ON THE SACRED DAY. THE 14TH OF THE THIRD MONTH OF FIRE. AND TO DISCLOSE THE RESULTS OF THE CHILD’S RITUAL IN ADDITION TO ANY SUPERNATURAL PHENOMENA ACCOMPANYING HIS BIRTH.

“Damn it…” the duke angrily shredded the paper in half and then threw it on the ground, None of his children were born on that date! Ray was born one day later…. DAMN IT!

“Wait… Does that mean that the emperor's identity is still unknown?” he paused and then asked as he ran to grab the paper again and reread the fine print.

“Yes master, The royal households around the continent seemed to have been aware of that date, they kept it a secret and used drugs to delay the birth of many of their heirs to be on that exact day!” Paul said, “There was some news that when the seventh prince was born, A huge thunderstorm lit the sky… Many people are saying it is him. Others are saying it is a bastard of duke Thomas. A rainbow shone then shattered above his head when he was born… There are others too…  More than 50!” Paul explained.

“Those greedy bastards! Try to find out who are the most promising candidates as soon as possible. I want to betroth Lana to the true emperor while they are still babies. She has the potential and that would grant her a strong position in the court in the future,” the duke said.

“Don’t worry master! I already sent a few men to the custodian tower, they should report to us as long as an announcement is made,” Paul said quickly, “Not only that, I sent letters to our ambassadors in the kingdoms and states to keep their ears tuned for any rumors about the emperor's true identity,” he added, making the duke nod in approval. Raising Paul who was a half-blood from a slave to be his aid was one of his wisest decisions.

“Now, all we have to do is to wait,” the duke said as he sat down, forgetting about Ray for now.

“Master, there is some other news. It’s about the expedition to the eastern borders!” Paul said, “General Marcos had sent news that the Barbarian's armies are about to crumble!”

“Oh… “ Norman frowned, “Then It is time I go there… “ he pondered as he looked out of the window.

In a faraway desolate courtyard in the palace, a baby was cursing!

The news about the custodian’s blunders reached Ray a week later due to his mother’s maids gossiping while changing his diapers.

“Did you hear the news? 13 Families have already announced that the emperor was their own son. I can’t believe this is happening. It is madness out there!” The first maid said.

“Did the custodians say anything?” the second one asked.

“They are keeping silent. But the noble families are already grouping up behind seven main candidates by offering their daughters as concubines!… From what I heard, those guys are four princes from the three empires and the holy sons of the three sects! … When they were born many unnatural phenomena appeared around them as if they were signs!” the first maid replied.

“Ah… Didn't a strange light shine in the room when Ray was born?” the second maid asked as she looked at her companion before both of them began laughing madly.

“As if that can be possible,” they chuckled as they looked at Ray with disdain not realizing that he was glaring at them while pondering how to punish them.
 
Ray was really annoyed… Very annoyed… Super annoyed…. But he was mostly helpless.

Those bastards were already dividing his cake, and he could only look and drool! No… He could wet his diapers too!

ALERT
A SOUL SHARD HAD BEEN RETRIEVED

A SKILL CARD WAS RETRIEVED
10 ATTRIBUTE POINTS WERE RETRIEVED

What? When? Who?  That notification alerted Ray. What happened? He quickly checked his status.

Name: Ray Golden Lance
Level : 0
Health 10/12
Mana 4/7

STR : 7
INT : 9
AGL : 4
CHM : 5
LCK : 5

SKILL CARDS:
MAXIMUM REGENERATION X
MASTER IDENTIFICATION X
OMNISCIENT SCENES X

Abnormal Status :
POISONED A
SOUL DAMAGE SS

His skills had increased! And his attributes have improved! What happened? Why did he get back one of his lost soul shards? This could only mean one thing. One of those who stole a part of his soul was dead!

OMNISCIENT SCENES X
You can sense everything around you regardless of obstacles.

Cost depends on the Area of effect and the number of senses.

Ray didn’t know what happened, but he was very glad for gaining this skill as it would allow him to hear and see beyond walls. Although its effect would still be constrained by his feeble Mana, it was not bad. It would allow him to find many secrets and he was getting a little bit bored as a baby lately, this would give him the ability to start practicing some light martial arts as he would be able to make sure that the room was empty and no one was watching.

“What’s wrong with baby Ray? Why is he looking at the wall like this?” Suddenly one of the maids asked.

“Perhaps he knows that the maid’s bathroom is behind it!” the other answered and began to chuckle.

“As if!” the first one sighed, she didn’t find her friend’s remark funny, “As the son of Lady Penelope, he should have been granted a big courtyard, not this poor place at the side of the palace!” she said.

“He is lucky that he even got to have this place. The duke was furious after the ritual after all! He wanted Ray to be sent away to be raised in the countryside, but Lady Penelope didn’t agree, saying that he should be treated as a prince like his brothers! She said that he should be given a chance to prove himself. The duke finally conceded and gave him this place after the lady began to cough up blood!”

“But we can’t keep traveling between here and Lady Penelope's courtyard… The Lady is very sick, and we are her most trusted maids!“

“Oh, Haven't you heard? They will be hiring some new maids soon, so we will not be taking care of him after a few days… The truth be told, I have begun to feel sick looking at his ugly face!”

“Yara, that’s rude… He is a prince after all. And I think he has his own charm… Look, I think he just got a little better…”

“Nah… Just wait, we will see if you will keep that opinion after he grows up into a freak!”

“Don’t say that out loud!” the first one warned, making her friend quickly cover her mouth and look at the doorway, it was empty. Thankfully no one ever came to this remote place.

Ray, who was casually listening, didn't care. He was in a good mood, carefully watching the entire palace as his butt was getting powdered!

Thankfully this skill didn’t require a lot of mana to be used in close proximity, so he could easily watch and hear what was happening in the adjacent courtyards.

What he lacked most right now was information about this place. He needed to sort out his enemies and allies to survive this place.

15