Chapter 4: Tristal
332 2 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 4:

Tristal

I walk the road up north with heavy footsteps, it’s been several hours since I’ve left and I’m on the verge of breaking into a sweat. My condition is soon to kick in from having to carry the camping equipment Bryson had given me if I don’t take a break anytime soon. Maybe I should have sorted out what I really needed for utensils and pots before leaving, but I just couldn’t take any chances. You never know when a turkey baster would come in handy. I’m not joking either, I’m dead serious, it's a very versatile tool.

Soon a small village becomes visible in the distance. The buildings appear to be made of shoddy wood and are falling apart. I guess living in Lefaso had made me think all towns in the territory were the same. At least It’s a place to rest.

Walking along the roads of the town gave me a good idea of how much I stuck out. Most of the people living here wore dirty robes and extremely worn clothing being held together by very shoddy stitching. They all gave me weird looks, and some snickered. Though I am exhausted I am definitely not tired enough to feel safe enough to rest in this village. Quickly, I make my way out of the village and back out onto the road. So much for a place to rest, I didn’t even last an hour before fleeing.

Are all villages like that though? Drab and dank? No, some villages can’t maintain themselves thanks to the monsters at night. It must be an unfortunate locale for them to live. They might have just been extremely weary because of that.

***

After that awkward experience with the village, I ended up setting camp for the night by a large tree. The tent wasn’t that difficult to assemble, nor was it hard to get a campfire started. Strangely enough, my condition never kicked in during setup. Maybe I was just lucky. Though I don't think luck has anything to do with my condition.

Thankfully food isn’t too much of an issue for me either despite forgetting to pack food. Spending my entire life as what you would consider a peasant in Lefaso was quite helpful. Because of that, I know how to discern poisonous plants and berries from the normal ones. Though this knowledge might not be helpful in the long run, the plant life might change as I go from territory to territory. I might have to start hunting animals for food once I’m out there. Honestly hunting really sounds like a pain to deal with. But I guess I have no right to complain, I’m no longer in the comforts of my hometown. Maybe when I cross the border they’ll have some sort of guide for what I can and cannot eat there. Though I doubt something that convenient would even have been conceived.

Maybe that’s my mother's blood in me, to even have that sort of hope but then again. I don’t even think being your parents child has anything to do with how you behave though. I’ve never even spent much time with her outside of work aside from her checking up on me, so how would I 100% know how she is, but I must've gotten something from her? Her levelheadedness? No way, I loose my cool easily, especially when the other me decides to appear.

That aside, I end up cooking some sort of concoction of spices and berries. I take a bite and wince, it’s sweet and spicy. Which is funny, I didn’t even put anything in to give it heat. It must’ve been because of the seasoned pan I was cooking my food on. I can’t complain, it’s not like I burnt it all to a crisp.

After finishing my meal, I head into the tent so I can rest.

***

The next morning I pack my things back into the sack Bryson had given me, and begin heading up the roads. A couple carriages pass and pay no mind to me as I try to wave them down.

I sigh. “What a pain.” I don’t know why I expected them to stop for me, for all they knew, I could have been some sort of bandit trying to pillage whatever they had on board.

But this is also strange, why are carriages passing through Alino? The time for restocking supplies had passed only a couple days ago. Maybe they’re carrying supplies for that poor village a couple miles back. Well, that’s just wishful thinking.

Soon, I find myself at the Alino border. Several rangers are standing by an outpost, both of Alino and Trastilian blood.

“Halt!” A tall rugged one wearing a green cap and goatee says. “What have you in the bag?”

“Camping supplies, I was just leaving the territory.”

“Camping supplies? Well, we’ll see about that.” He takes me inside the outpost.

Great, I now have to go through an inventory check? Ugh, I didn't think I looked that suspicious to warrant it.

In the outpost, I’m seated in a splintering wooden chair. It squeaks as I shift my weight to try and get comfortable. Across the table is the man with a green cap, his arms crossed.

“What’s your name, kid?”

“Tracy Mitrano.” I say in an unenthusiastic tone. The noises of some of the rangers digging through my stuff can be heard in the other room. They better not be taking any of my things.

He scratches the tiny patch of scruff on his chin, “Why are you leaving the Territory, kid?”

“It’s… personal.” I reply.

“Hmm? Do you have any papers of the sort?” I hand him the papers the chief had given me. He sifts through the papers, skimming over each of the papers, eyes narrowing before opening his mouth, “Head privileges, huh?” He mutters. “Everything seems to be in order, kid.” So I told him my name, and he just keeps calling me kid? Whatever, I’ll never see him again after this so it doesn’t really matter. “You may head out to the Tristal territory.”

I try to leave, but another one of the rangers, a rotund man wearing a bandanna, blocks my way. Gods, what is he doing? Didn’t he just say I could leave? “Why do you stop me?” I ask.

“I have something to tell you, kid.” The rugged one says.

“What is it?” I say, slowly growing irritated.

“Don’t stray from the path until you approach the capital.” His expression grows serious, “People who stray from the path never seem to come back alive.”

“I see…”

“One more thing, the name’s Toran. You best remember that.” He says. “You may now go.” The large man walks aside, not before handing me the sack Bryson had given me and sending me on my way.

The trail I follow, although large enough for carriages to pass through, is one dense with trees. I have to keep a close eye on the trail ahead, the warning that ranger had given me makes me on guard. I can’t help but wonder what had happened to the people that walked off the trail? Were they slaughtered by demons? Raided by bandits? I shake my head to rid myself of these thoughts, I don’t intend on leaving this road, so these dangers shouldn’t pose an issue.

I will say, the air about this place is rather pleasing to the senses. The smell of pine and dew amongst the fresh forest air, the birds chirping in the trees. It’s just all around pleasant. I stop to take it all in. Wonderful. You wouldn’t get a smell like this in Lefaso, that's for sure.

A couple hours of walking later, a scream echoes throughout the forest. “What was that?” A sense of dread washes over me. I take a moment to breathe and calm my heart, I refuse to turn right now, I've done so well keeping that other me in check. Did someone wander from the path? Are they okay? I find myself walking in the direction of the scream like a fool without realizing it. Upon arrival to the site, my breathing grows heavy once again and a sense of fear washes over me at what I see.

It’s a corpse of a young woman, her skin wrinkled like prunes and her clothes in-tact. It’s resting against a tree in the fetal position. This must have been where the scream came from, or else I doubt she would have been in such a pose. The smell of decay is abnormally pungent, making it difficult to hold down my lunch. The scream I heard was recent wasn’t it? It’s as if the body had begun to decay at a rapid rate. Whatever attacked her appears to be gone now, and I doubt it would return to the corpse after it lost its usefulness.

So this is the fate of those who wander off the path? It’s horrid, and I had wandered off the path just like her. Am I doomed to the same fate now?

No, I won’t let that happen. I’ll find the path once more, I just have to head on back in the direction I came from. I take a deep breath, I'd never seen a dead body till now, and I can almost feel my change coming on from the panic it's bringing. Fortunately I manage to calm myself down in time before the change could kick in, if that's how I was acting, how would the other me react? She's much more open about her feelings than I am. I'll admit I am envious about the openness though, just not in this circumstance.

As I head back, a thick layer of fog begins to settle in. “Fog?” I say to myself, “Wasn’t the weather clear just a second ago?” I continue my trek back to the road, but it’s impossible to see anything without it being right in my face.

The fog clears up after a couple seconds and I’m back near the dead body. I head back in the direction of the road and the fog rolls in yet again, taking me back to the location of the dead body. I see why people never return to the road now. Instead of heading in the direction of the road once more, I try heading the opposite direction. Sure enough, the fog doesn’t roll in. It only seems to deter me away from the road. I’ve been ensnared by the trap that is the forest, now all that’s left for me is to wander around aimlessly until whatever is out there ends my life.

I get a strong sense of Deja-vu, this is the second time I’ve been left to wander a forest on my lonesome. Although this time I didn’t have a Mia to help me find my way back.

I sit on a large rock amongst a patch of moss and wait. The forest is eerily quiet, the birds aren’t chirping nor are the crickets. It’s as if the creatures within the forest had high-tailed it out of the woods. Something’s coming, I just know it.

As I predicted, I hear a rustling in the treetops. That something that murdered that woman in cold blood is here. I can’t help but feel the dryness of my mouth as I look up. Nothing. Nothing is there, though I doubt it was nothing.

I set down my bag and listen to my surroundings, but I can’t seem to hear anything but the wind and my own breath.

“Hey,” A female voice says in my ear, “What are you doing here?” My heart begins to pound as I jump in surprise. The last thing I had expected was a person to whisper in my ear. Calm down Tracy, it’s just another person. What kind of person would jump another in such a place though? And how come I couldn’t see nor hear her earlier?

I look behind me, and I’m greeted by the sight of a woman, her hair as white as snow and eyes a crimson red. She’s donning a black cloak and a half unbuttoned sleeveless top with black and white stripes at the hem, giving way to reveal some cleavage, and rather short shorts held up by a brown hide belt. She seems to be the same age as me.

“U-umm, uh.” I stammer, “I got lost.”

“Lost?” She sighs, “You’re lucky I’m the one that found you then…” Lucky? What is she talking about? “Come on, follow me.” She grabs me by the hand and drags me forward, not letting me have a chance to grab my stuff.

“So who are you?” I ask.

“Hmm.” She thinks, “Just call me Rachel.”

Her pale skin shimmers in the light as we walk. Does she not go outside much? It’s strange, but I don’t dwell on it, it might just be how she is.

“So how did you end up stepping off the path?” She asks.

“I heard a scream, and decided to check it out.” I say. “What about you?”

“I was in the same boat!” She smiles, “I heard a scream, and ended up here!”

“You must’ve been good at hiding from the monster that kills those who wander if I couldn’t find you.”

She laughs nervously, “Yeah… I can’t afford to be caught, I need to find a way out of here.”

“How long have you been here?” I ask.

“Dunno.” She says, “I’ve lost track of time a while back.”

She’s unable to remember how long she’s been in here? Why? Is there some sort of time distortion held within these woods?

Soon, we arrive at a small shack in the woods. It appears to be made of a sturdy oak, and several tiny vines are growing up the sides. “Come in.” She says. “You’ll be fine in here.” Inside the shack was a small table and two chairs, while a bed made out of animal hide rests in one of the corners. The windows are covered by black curtains, cutting out any light from the sun. “Sorry for the mess.” She pulls out a chair, “I’ve never met another person that wasn’t dead.”

“So you’ve kept encountering the victims?”

She nods, grimacing, “yeah, I’ve even encountered the corpse of an utterly terrified woman not too long ago.”

“What a coincidence,” I look around, “I saw a corpse like that not too long ago shrivel up.” I pause, “So, who built this shack?”

“I just found it here.”

Found it here? An intact cabin in the middle of nowhere? Maybe it was built before the monster roaming the forest existed.

“So what about my stuff?” I ask, “Why didn’t you let me take it with me?”

She walks over to one of the windows and peers behind the curtain, “What was in it?”

“Cooking supplies and a camping set.”

“It’s nothing important then, it would have made a lot of noise on our way here.” Oh, I guess my important supplies for surviving aren't too important given the dangers of these woods. If I was the other me right now, I'd be pouting.

“Have you had any luck finding a way out of here?”

Rachel shakes her head, frowning, “If there was one, I think I’d have found it by now.”

“Oh.” I feel my heart drop. Leaving is impossible? Oh why didn’t I take heed of the rangers warning, I'm an absolute idiot who charged in because they heard a scream.

Rachel notices my face going pale, “Hey, don’t worry. Ermm, what’s your name?”

“Tracy.” I say.

“Don’t worry, Tracy.” She grabs my shoulder, her red eyes gleaming, “You have someone to talk to at least.”

I guess she’d be starving for conversations if she’s been out here, isolated for so long. But why is this a plus to me? It’s a pain really. I’d prefer it if I was left alone, or at least with Mia. But in a situation where the dangers lurk just outside, I guess it’s fine.

“So where did you come from?” Rachel asks.

“Lefaso.” I say, “Hailing from the Alino territory.”

“Where were you headed? And why are you traveling?”

“That’s prying a little too much there.” I say, “But I’ll just say that I was headed towards the great library to obtain some information.”

“That’s quite a ways away from here.”

“How far exactly?”

“A territory or so north I think. Do you not have a map?”

“No.” I say, “It never occurred to me to grab one.” Of course I didn’t think of that at the time, among various other supplies I had neglected to pack, I was still taking in the fact I had to leave my hometown and territory. You try having your head on straight if that ever happens to you.

A knocking in the door is heard. “What?” Knocking? Isn’t that a human thing to do?

“Madam, are you here?” A voice sounds from behind the door.

“Madam?” I ask. She covers my mouth in an attempt to silence me.

“Shh!” She whispers, “don’t say a word.” She really didn’t need to tell me that, I would have remained quiet anyways, struggling tends to rile up one's heart. A couple moments pass and she sighs in relief, “He’s gone now.”

“He? Was that a person just now?”

“Not one we want to get involved with.”

“But whoever was behind there had knocked and called out a name, isn’t he looking for you?”

“Yes, but that’s one of the people working alongside the monster out there.”

So now, people are involved with the danger?

“You must be tired, Tracy. Get some rest.” She directs me towards the bed and without warning I find myself suddenly drift into the sea of unconsciousness. I didn't think I was tired enough for that, but apparently I was.

***

Something just doesn’t add up with her. Rachel’s appearance and pale skin, her sense of time, the shack in the middle of nowhere, and lastly the person knocking on the door. She has something to hide from me, and she’s not doing that great of a job. Granted I'm no better than her in that aspect.

My eyes drift open as the sounds of the door squeaking reverberates through the dark cabin. A wide beam of light shines in my face through the open doorway. It’s morning already? Wait, the door opened! I sit up and shield the rays from my vision. I can make out the figure of a person, carrying a large bag on it’s shoulder. Soon, my eyes adjust and I recognize the shining white hair, it’s just Rachel with my stuff. That was close, I had almost panicked to a point where my condition would have kicked in. She doesn’t know of my other self, and I don’t want to scare her... or have her think of me as a creep.

“Morning, sleepy head.” She walks into the cabin and sets down my bag, the various pots and pans rattling as she does so.

“Rachel? Why did you get my stuff?”

“It seemed important to you. I could tell from the look on your face yesterday.”

“Thank you, but what about the monster?”

“I know my ways around.” Her stomach growled.

Really? I don’t think she cares that the bag is important to me, she just wants food. “So what’s the other reason you got my supplies back?” I ask.

She looks down, pressing the tips of her index fingers against one another, her pale cheeks now flush. “I’m hungry, okay.” She mutters.

“Haven’t you cooked for yourself out here?” Truly she should have some degree of survival skills if she’s been out here for a long time.

“Well, no. All I’ve eaten is whatever I could find growing in these woods.”

“No meat?”

“I can’t bring myself to kill any animals I come across.”

So, she’s out in the woods, living off of whatever she found growing about, and she hasn’t even obtained any form of meat? How’d she actually survive for so long? Whatever, I should probably do something for her since she did return my stuff, she's lucky I've done a lot of cooking for mother back at home. I sigh, “So what do you want me to make?”

She shrugs, “I dunno, something good?”

I’m no cooking expert but I’m pretty sure that in order to cook something, you need something to cook. Why do I say this? The tiny cabinets in the shack hold nothing but cobwebs and dust, nor are there barrels holding fruits. I ask Rachel about this issue, and if she could scratch up some things to eat. I’m not about to work up a sweat and get my condition to kick in. She agrees to search without question. I tell her to be careful as she heads back out into the sunny forest, and she gives me the thumbs up as she heads out. About a half-hour later, she comes back with a bunch of fruits in her arms. Guess I'm going to have another meatless meal today as well.

Lighting a fire to cook or food is rather risky to have around the shack, so Rachel and I set up a fire a little while away.

I end up making a batch of simmered fruits, seasoned with some cinnamon that I had in my bag. I would have preferred having some sort of meat alongside it, but that can’t be helped I guess.

Quickly, we extinguish the fire and take the food to the shack.

Sitting down in the wooden chairs, we begin to eat. The first bite made Rachel’s face light up. “Wow!” She exclaims, “It’s so sweet.”

“Is it really that good?” I ask.

“Mmm.” She takes another bite, “It’s so much better than anything I’ve eaten.” Really? It’s just simmered fruits, it’s nothing special at all. Did she never cook anything out here?

“If you were a girl, you'd definitely make a good wife.” She smiles, “though I'd suppose that's a stereotype, huh.”

I drop my fork in surprise, as I feel blood trying to rush to my cheeks, “Ah- uh.” I look away, trying to shake off the sudden surge of emotion. What brought that on? Why did I feel happy about being told that? She's a complete stranger Tracy, calm down, she doesn't know about your condition.

“Tracy?”

“It's nothing," I shyly mumble, my attempts at calming myself down aren't working, my condition is starting to kick in. I was doing so good not having it kick in since I left lefaso, why now? “I need some fresh air.” I quickly stand up and try to leave, but Rachel grabs me by the arm.

“That's not safe Tracy.” She frowns, concern written on her face. “the monsters still out there, is something wrong?”

“I- I.” It doesn't take long before my entire body begins to shift to the other me, Rachel's eyes widen as my light purple hair explodes everywhere and clothes become loose, my form quickly settling into the other me. I fall onto my butt as she lets go.

“Oh!” She exclaims. “You're a girl?!”

“I-I'm not! Well I am right now, but I'm not!” I find myself shaking, of course the person I'm stuck with learned of my secret so quickly. What is she thinking right now, does she hate me, is she afraid? Disgusted even? Why am I so pathetic right now? I could handle the Matranian soldiers seeing me, what makes her so different? “Don't kick me out please.” I whimper.

“It's okay! I'm not gonna do anything of the sort Tracy.” She quickly moves over to me and wraps me into an embrace, “It's okay, I don't understand your situation, but I'm sure as hell not going to let the first living soul I've met in forever meet the fate of the others.”

“You're not mad or anything?”

“Why should I be? It's not like you did anything wrong.”

She's not mad at me, thank the gods, I think it might be good if I explained it all to her then. “Its... Its cause of a condition I have.” I say, “When my heart beats past a certain threshold this happens to my body.”

“So why did you panic?” She asks, slowly letting me go from her embrace.

I pause, trying to piece the words together. “It's scary... hearing what other's think about me when they've learned of my condition. Anyone that didn't live in my hometown tended to keep their distance when they figured it out... especially the women. Not like I enjoy walking around as this me anyways.” I pout.

“That's absolutely stupid, you can't help how your body is.” She scowls, “those people clearly just don't understand.”

I feel my cheeks go warm, “I'm currently on a journey that my condition has brought on me... I'm trying to cure it” I explain, “or at least get any information on it so I can begin curing it.”

“I see, so getting out is a much bigger priority now.” She smiles, seemingly understanding something that I don't.

We awkwardly finish our “meal” and clean up.

“So what’s the plan?” I ask, finally getting around to adjusting my clothes so they don't fall.

“Well, I don’t really have a plan at the moment.” She frowns, “but once I have one, I’ll let you know.”

What help she is. I mean, given how she’s “done everything” in order to get out of these woods. She must’ve used up every little idea she’s had in her head.

I hear a scream echo throughout the forest once more. “What was that!” I say.

Rachel bites her thumb, her brows furrowed “Damn, again?”

“Again? Is it another victim?”

“Don’t follow me, okay.” She says before dashing out into the woods.

That was… strange. Why run off? Yes the monster just potentially attacked someone but what says that they’re still alive? More than likely there’s only a corpse, shriveling up into nothingness.

A body shriveling up. No matter how I think of it, it’s disturbing; Dying that way I mean. Not a single trace of you would be able to be found, no one would know that you’ve died.

Enough about that though, why did she run off? Is she trying to get herself killed? Despite her warnings not to follow, I do so. Under normal circumstances, yeah I might listen and just go take a nap somewhere, but sticking to numbers is important in a life or death situation. Slowly and quietly, I follow. I'd run, seeing as how I have no reason to keep my heart calm right now, but I'm certain Rachel would notice me.

I eventually catch up to Rachel while managing to stay out of her field of vision. She’s hunched over the rapidly decomposing corpse of the latest victim. I honestly can’t believe it, but that body seems somehow familiar. It’s wearing a rangers uniform, one of the border patrolmen kind. It’s not the rude man who kept calling me kid, so it must be one of the reserves.

She looks towards the treetops. They rustle about as I notice something shifting about. “Come out!” She shouts, “I know you’re here!”

Shit, did I get caught?

A figure leaps down before her, bowing. It’s a man with short-black hair, he’s wearing a full on butler's uniform, and blood drips down the sides of his mouth. Wait, blood?

“Madam Rachel.” The figure says, it’s voice deep and raspy. “What brings you here? Didn’t your father warn you about leaving your shack?”

Is that guy that was knocking on the door not too long ago?

“It doesn’t matter dammit!” She says, “You just killed another one!”

Another one? Doesn’t that mean he’s the monster?

The blood-dripping butler stands up, “Does it really matter?” He says, “All of them are the same; They’re food.” He licks his lips, “Food that seems to come in an abundance lately, and that’s not a bad thing.”

“You can’t do that!”

The butler laughs, “I have permission from the master, your puny words mean nothing in this household. You should know this.”

Household? What did I get myself into?

She clenches her fists. “I know.” Soon, the butler climbs back into the trees and disappears. A moment passes before the presence of the man is gone completely. “So, how long have you been there?” Rachel asks solemnly.

I really guess stealth isn't for me, I keep getting caught. I step where she can see me, her face showing that of mixed emotions. “Since that man had shown himself.”

“Man.” She shudders, “Can you even call something like that a man? Someone that murders others, feeding on their life-force.”

“Life-force?”

“I don’t know why I’m telling you this now, but.” she pauses “I’ve lied to you this entire time, Tracy. Even if it hasn’t been too long since I’ve met you, I’ve lied. Tracy, I’m not a normal person.” That makes two of us. “But I didn’t lie about being trapped here Tracy, believe me!”

I sigh, her red eyes glimmering with honesty, even if I didn’t trust her, I’d have little choice but to go alongside her. “I believe you.” I say. “But who is that thing? And why do you know it?”

She bites her lip, “Well it’s a part of my fathers workforce. They take orders from him,” she looks off into the sky, “and refuse to listen to me. I’m not what you would call a welcome addition to the family. And that barrier is something being maintained by my fathers vast amount of magical power to trap not only stray wanderers but to keep me in.”

“But why?”

“You're not the only one with a problem pertaining to their body.”

“Eh?”

She holds the ends of long white hair in her hands, she frowns at the sight. “Aside from my crimson eyes, and white hair this body is one of impure blood. I’m a disgrace to my family, and a prisoner.”

“So in a sense, you’re an exile?”

“Yes, an exile. An exile to a family of vampires.”

22