CH 02 – Breakfast Time (Part 1)
2.7k 7 78
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Knock. Knock.

"Agh. Go away… I'm still sleeping."

I pulled the warm blanket over my head to block out all light.

"Young master Luca, I'm afraid it's time to get up."

An oddly familiar woman's voice called out.

I froze, pulled down my bed covers, and looked around the luxurious bedroom.

"What the…"

I was dying on the battlefield. My intestines were spilling out.

My hand instinctively felt at my stomach. It slid across smooth silk. There was no sign of any injuries.

I pulled the bed covers off and inspected my body. Even the scar I had gotten at age 20 from a sword tournament was gone. My hands reached up and felt my face. It felt different. Softer. I looked around and spotted a mirror in one corner of the room.

"Young master–"

"Wait just a moment!" I cried out.

I jumped out of bed and ran towards the mirror.

"..."

I stared at my reflection in shock.

Beneath unkempt black hair, two eyes the color of honey and gold stared back at me.

It was my face. But younger. Much younger. It was without a single scratch or scar, except for a tiny pimple.

"Ha ha…" I laughed.

I forgot how I used to worry over such insignificant imperfections at this age.

What was a single pimple compared to my face's scars in the future? Or the lack of a right ear? And the missing pinky and ring fingers on my left hand?

My hand moved to my stomach. The memory of my guts spilling out was still fresh in my mind.

But I'm alive now.

Knock. Knock.

"Young master Luca?"

"One moment!"

I remembered the maid and ran back to my bed.

"You can enter," I announced.

Denise, my maid, entered the room with a tray of tea and a washbasin.

A sad nostalgia arose at her sight. Denise had died in a freak accident in the future that I had lived through. I was thankful for being able to see her again.

Her death had turned out to be a double tragedy. First, there was the loss of an exceptional servant of the Frey household. And then there was Fin.

After getting to know Fin, I learned that he had been kidnapped as a child because of his exceptional aptitude for magic. He lost contact with his older sister, named Denise. After speaking with him further, I had realized that the Denise that I had known and his lost sister were one and the same.

I wasn't about to let her die in this lifetime.

Looking at her now, I could see the slight resemblance between Denise and Fin. They both had small button noses and exaggeratingly long lashes. However, that was where the similarity stopped.

Fin looked like a wide-eyed bunny, while Denise had the air of a tired fox. She held her head high, and her hazel eyes perpetually looked down on everything. She had short brown hair tucked away behind a yellow band and a face that was hard to read.

"Young master Luca, I've brought your morning tea. Unfortunately, Jasper fell ill last night, so I'll attend to you today."

Jasper… He was my primary attendant. I remembered that he ended up passing away even before Denise did. His death was quite painful, as I had known him for a good portion of my youth.

Why did so many people around me die?

"I think I already know your answer, but your father and mother would really like you to come down for breakfast," Denise said.

I gasped, and my eyes blurred with tears.

It was the final straw.

"Young master! What is the matter? You're crying!"

Denise set the tray down beside me. Her typically formal manners dropped, and her eyes were wide.

"I had a nightmare. That's all." I wiped away my tears.

"I'll be all right." I smiled at her. I tried to be reassuring, but my voice cracked.

My parents are still alive. How long has it been?

"You should go to bed earlier. Going to bed so late is probably why you had a nightmare," Denise chided me. Her usual formal expression was back in place.

I bit my lip. I wanted to find out how far back in time I had gone, but I didn't want to ask how old I was.

She'd think I lost it then and report it to my parents.

I didn't want to screw up my second chance at my life.

"I'll come down for breakfast," I announced.

"You will?" Denise looked startled but soon composed herself.

"They will be thrilled! You never come down nowadays," she added.

What a bitter feeling that is. If I knew my time with my parents was limited, I would have come down for breakfast every morning that they were in the capital.

I suppose I might as well start in this new life.

"Denise, how long has it been since you've become my maid?"

I posed the question with a purpose. Denise would die in the tragic accident only one year and four months after being employed here. I could gauge the current date from then.

"Gosh, it's been a year since I joined the Frey household and a month since becoming your primary maid."

I must be 19 then right now. I went back in time seven years.

"Thank you for all you've done so far, Denise." I smiled.

I'll make sure she survives in this lifetime.

"You're too kind. I'm just thankful to the Frey household for taking me in," Denise said.

Denise wasn't much older than me but had lived a harsher life–at least when compared to my childhood.

She and Fin had lost their parents very young, and she carried on, taking on whatever odd work so that she could raise him on her own.

Despite all her hardships, she carried on dutifully and with excellence. Her only fault, in my view, was how overly formal she was with me. It was something that I could never get used to.

Jasper, my usual attendant, would simply barge into my room and flip the covers off of me while swinging a bell. It was an awful way to wake up. Thankfully he liked to sleep in too, and thus I was usually awake by the time he came by.

I'd better see if I can find a way to save him as well.

"Young master, I'll take care of a few things and come back to help you get dressed for breakfast. Enjoy your tea."

I scrunched up my nose. I had forgotten I used to have someone else help dress me. I was so used to dressing myself the last few years.

The bedroom door closed behind Denise, and I gazed around again. Everything felt familiar. And yet it all looked different. The bedroom was as luxurious as I remembered. But the walls were painted emerald green and had gold-framed paintings on the walls.

This isn't how I remembered it.

In my memories, the walls used to be a soft yellow. The paintings had been tapestries. Even Denise's uniform looked different.

What is going on? Did I remember wrong?

My family was a wealthy merchant family at this point in time. My mother managed the books while my father traveled to different regions on the continent to do business. After their passing, I had learned that apart from exporting and importing luxurious goods, my family was also involved in more… unpleasant business.

As a youth, I didn't know any of this. But looking back, there were many hints.

A cough sounded outside my bedroom.

What ordinary merchant has so many guards all over their home?

My hand felt under my pillow, and I pulled out a throwing dagger. My father had trained me to throw it at the bedroom entrance. 'In case anyone dangerous breaks into your room, you can toss it at their head and protect yourself.'

I sighed.

I was such a naive child. But that's a bridge to cross another time. I'm just glad they're alive.

I grasped the dagger and ran my finger over the silver handle.

Even this looks different from what I remember.

I knew I had forgotten many things from my past, but this was rather odd. I didn't understand how I could remember the decor of my room and weapon so incorrectly.

I put the dagger away and picked up the cup of black tea that Denise had left.

I gagged. It might have been a pleasant smell in any other context, but the smokiness of it reminded me of burning flesh on the battlefield. And as a regressor, that was only a few moments ago.

A nearby flower pot saved the day. I poured the liquid into it to avoid insulting her. It wasn't the tea's fault. Or Denise's. It was my nose.

"Young master Luca? May I enter to dress you?" Denise called out.

"Yes, please enter."

 

***

 

"–And then at one, you will meet with Lady Elizabeth to study accounting, followed by a lesson with Sir Edison at the sword in the courtyard at a quarter to two..."

I groaned as Denise droned on, listing off my schedule for the day.

I had initially been heir to the Frey Merchant Guild before my parents' death and its collapse. I wasn't a suitable heir, though. I was an even worse guild master. I had skipped out on most lessons and wasted my time fooling around, hoping that one of my two younger siblings would take over the responsibility instead. However, the household had come to ruin before that could happen.

Not that the knowledge from the few lessons I had attended ended up being of any use. Only the sword and weaponry training under Sir Edison proved worthwhile.

It'll be another two years before the Frey house completely meets its end. I needed to prevent that.

"I have completed your hair, young master Luca."

I didn't hear the remainder of my agenda but figured it didn't matter.

I refocused on my reflection and moved my head from side to side to inspect the work. My black hair was styled such that it looked like that of a god that had awoken from his slumber. She had even added strings of gold between my hair strands, accentuating my golden eyes.

"… Isn't it too much?" I asked.

"It's the latest fashion," Denise replied.

"Hmm, is that so?" I shifted my head from side to side again.

Grandov and Fin would have had a hoot if they saw me like this. They were used to a much more rugged appearance. As was I.

Tomorrow onward, I'll tell her to make it simpler.

I stood up from my seat and straightened out my white and golden robes. I inspected myself in the reflection. I counted five different layers to create this look.

And for what? To have breakfast with my parents?

I'll need to do something about this as well. Why does this version of my world have such intricate fashion? I didn't have anything so annoying before. At the very least, I didn't remember it being like this.

The guard standing outside held the bedroom door open for me. He followed me while Denise remained in my room to clean it up.

This guard had curly black hair and an excitable expression. I couldn't quite recall his name, but every emotion reflected itself on his face. He reminded me of my pet dog from my original life.

I smiled, seeing the many other guards scattered around the grounds.

Crazy. How did I grow up thinking this was normal?

My eyes wandered over the mansion with its large framed paintings, tall ceilings, and intricately set oak wood floors. It was odd. I remembered having lived in an impressively decorated estate, but I didn't recognize any of the items displayed.

Perhaps there was something so traumatic about the decor that my memory was wiped clean?

I scoffed.

I'd have thought this was an absurd theory under any other circumstance. Yet, here I was, having regressed seven years back after dying on a battlefield. Anything was possible.

I finally entered the spacious dining room.

Father and Mother were already at the table eating, along with my two younger siblings, Elda and Jarvis. The girl and boy were twins and twelve. They had the same bright red hair as Father. Mother, on the other hand, had radiant blonde hair, up in an intricate hairstyle of golden pins and precious stones. All four of them had emerald green eyes.

I looked nothing like my family with my black hair and golden eyes. But that was to be expected. I was adopted.

"Oh my, this is a pleasant surprise!" Mother's voice rang out.

I clutched my hands. I had expected to get emotional but thought I could control it. I miscalculated. I gazed down to get my breathing under control and push back the unexpected tears.

I haven't heard her voice in such a long time.

"Don't just stand there; come join us." Father nodded to a seat at the table.

"You always sleep in late and miss breakfast with us. Although today you're not the last one," Mother said.

I pushed down the lump in my throat and sat down.

I can't start crying inexplicably right now.

"Who else are we waiting on?" I asked, forcing my voice under control.

I looked around the table. The twins were both trying to get their food down as quickly as possible to say something to me.

The table was an array of delicious breakfast food. My mouth watered at the sight of baked pies, quiche, fresh fruit, and tartines.

When was the last time I had a proper meal?

The Order of Adovoria fed its soldiers well, but for sustenance, not pleasure.

"Chew slowly, or else you'll choke," I told my two younger siblings.

Funny kids. It was nice to see them again alive and well.

"Ah, there he is. Micah!" Mother exclaimed cheerfully.

My head twisted towards the footsteps. My brother, tall and with golden blonde hair like our mother, entered.

"Luca, I can't believe you made it down for once! And before me too," Micah's voice rang through the air.

He shone a perfect smile and sat beside me.

However, his expression quickly changed, and an eyebrow went up.

"What's with you? You look like you've seen a ghost," he said.

That was because that's precisely what I felt like I'd seen. My head pounded from the headache of remembering Micah's death.

Everyone I saw till now had all died in one way or another. But Micah's death had one of the most devastating effects on me.

I hadn't always been the Frey household heir. Why would I be when there was the perfect Micah?

And that position had initially been Micah's as he was the oldest child. He was seven years older than me and perfect in every conceivable way. He was brilliant, could best any of our guards at the sword, and was even blessed with blindingly good looks thanks to Mother. He wasn't impulsive and had a calm and collected demeanor like Father.

I wasn't even jealous because, to top it all off, he was the best brother one could ever have. He had practically raised me when our parents were gone for long periods in the past and supported my odd interests and pursuits.

He deserved to be heir, unlike me.

But it became my role at age nineteen. My parents would pass a year from now, but Micah had died much earlier than that. He was assassinated over breakfast with my family. But, like my usual past self, I hadn't come down that morning and missed his death.

My eyes flickered over to the servant beside Micah. I may have forgotten a lot from my teenage years, but I never forgot his face and name. Kaiden. Thick bushy eyebrows sat above a pair of gray eyes and a crooked nose.

In the future, I had met with a lot of danger and learned to read eyes for signs of trouble. Kaiden's eyes had 'the look' right now. It made the hairs on my arms stand. I saw him draw something from his pocket and move towards Micah.

"No!" I screamed.

My arm instinctively reached out, blocking Micah's neck.

A black shard stabbed into my arm and dissolved into my flesh. It was a demon's poison shard, a cursed relic that, when stabbed into someone, transformed into a deadly, fast-acting poison.

If I still had my strength and reflexes, I could have blocked it properly. Damn it. To think I'd experience death twice within two days. Or is it one day?

I gasped at the freezing sensation that overtook my veins. My body fell, caught in time by Micah.

"Luca!"

Several voices cried out at once.

Dark black tears poured out of my eyes, making it harder to concentrate.

A blue screen appeared in the air that only I could see.

[ Warning. You have been poisoned. ]

Ah, this thing again?

[ Your health is dropping at 10 points per second. 270/300 HP remaining. ]

A slash sounded. I knew that one of the guards must have taken Kaiden's head off.

"Luca, why why…" Micah muttered.

He was holding me in his arms. Micah always had a charming smile on his face. Even when he had died, I was told he had continued to smile and joke around. But his face was a mess as he held me now.

"Why did you get in front of me?" Micah asked.

I felt Mother's hand caress my head.

"Luca, honey… It's going to be all right," Mother said. But her voice broke, betraying that nothing was all right.

"Why is there no antidote..!? Find who ordered this! I don't need this head! I need the one behind this attack!"

My normally quiet father roared in the background. I felt him beside me moments later.

"Luca, I'm so so sorry…I love you." He held one of my hands. His hands felt so warm. Or was it that my body was cold?

Elda and Jarvis, the twins, were crying beside me. They were young, but not so young that they didn't understand what was happening. Everyone knew I was dying. There wasn't any time even if someone ran to find the antidote. A demonic shard acted too quickly.

[ Warning. Your health is dropping at 10 points per second. 180/300 HP remaining. ]

Go away. I thought towards the System's screen. I want to see the faces of my family. I haven't seen them in so long.

I smiled at my parents and Micah.

"Don't worry. It'll be all right," I said.

Black blood spilled out of my mouth.

"Why…just why did you do that–I should have died. Not you."

Micah's green eyes were overflowing with tears.

"No… you need to live. For everyone's sake…" I muttered out my final words. I was too tired to say anything else.

It was such a short second life, but I was happy to have been able to save Micah this time, at least. He'd remain the heir to the Frey Merchant Guild and, with his intellect, would no doubt prevent its downfall and the deaths of our parents and siblings.

My eyes closed, too weary to maintain open.

[ Warning! Your health is at 10/300 HP. ]

Even with my eyes closed, the blue screen reappeared and filled my vision.

[ You have died. ]

[ Reset in progress. ]

Huh?

[ Beginning Round 3. ]

78