CH 06 – Breakfast Time (Part 5)
1.7k 7 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There were a few key pieces of information I needed to gather to save Micah.

To start, I needed Micah’s and Kaiden’s schedules on this day.

Thus I found myself standing in the large hallway across from Louis, who was Micah’s primary servant after Kaiden, and thus the one who knew his routine best.

“...then after his exercises, Micah takes a bath at 7 in the morning. At 7:30 he always goes to his study and works for an hour. Then at 8:30 sharp, he heads towards the dining room for breakfast,” Louis recounted.

“Stop.” I held up my pen to stop Louis from continuing. “I’m not interested in his usual schedule. I’m interested in what he did today.”

“But his usual schedule never changes. It’s like this every morning,” Louis said.

“To the minute?” I asked.

“Correct. He’s very punctual. It’s something I’ve always admired about him,” Louis replied.

I felt somewhat nauseated hearing how productive and perfect Micah’s mornings were. However, more than that, I felt something didn’t add up.

“And yet, he arrived late to breakfast today. So something about today was off,” I mused.

“That is unusual...” Louis agreed.

"What exactly occurred today? Why was he late to breakfast?" I asked.

I felt like I had pinpointed an important clue, one that was overlooked even in my original life.

“I’m-I’m not sure. But I know he went to his study at 7:30 sharp,” Louis said

“Ahem.”

I turned towards Nirre who had cleared her throat.

“Young master Luca, I think one of the guards near Micah’s study might be able to provide some information. I believe Gerald was on guard near there. He should still be,” Nirre said.

"Good idea,” I said. “Thank you, Louis. I'll return with more questions if I think of something."

“Certainly, young master Luca.” Louis bowed and walked off.

“Nirre, please lead the way,” I said.

We walked through the manor’s hallways. I had a whole entourage of guards following close behind me. It was annoying at first, but I had grown accustomed to it already.

“Ah, I think I shall go here first.” I walked into an opposite hallway from where Nirre went.

The entourage of guards followed behind.

“Ah. But on second thought, I guess this way is best. I should follow you, right?” I walked back towards Nirre.

The entourage of guards followed behind me again.

“Hmm. But perhaps I’ll go to my study and grab some more parchment first.” I turned on my heel and walked back to where I came from.

The guards followed behind yet again, like a pack of baby chicks.

Unlike Henry, they had stoic expressionless faces. It made this all the more amusing.

“Young master… just what in the world are you doing?”

Nirre had a baffled expression. But then it transformed into one of understanding. What exactly she seemed to understand I had no idea, but it was probably very incorrect.

I sighed.

I suppose I should stop fooling around and get back to investigating.

Did regressing in time cause my mind to revert as well? Why was I playing childish jokes yet again?

“Nirre, please continue to lead the way,” I told her.

***

“Gerald, right?” I asked.

We were standing outside Micah’s study. Gerald’s post didn’t change in the chaos of Micah’s death.

I inspected the young man. He must have been around Henry’s age.

"That's right, young master Luca. I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you know that you can make it through this. I know it's hard. I and everyone else are here to support you,” Gerald said.

“Thank you, I appreciate that.” I smiled at his words.

Louis was similarly open to helping in my investigation. I had a poor reputation for pulling pranks so I was worried I wouldn't have the support to probe into Micah's death.

"I'd like to hear about what occurred during the time that Micah went in and out of the study. Every detail. He arrived late for breakfast, which is odd for him. What happened?" I asked.

Gerald glanced towards Nirre.

“Go ahead.” Nirre nodded. “Young master Luca is currently investigating Micah’s death as a way to cope with the sudden loss.”

I frowned. Her choice of words wasn't quite right. I wasn't coping. I was proactive in ensuring he didn't die again.

Not that it was worth explaining.

“Ah, of course.” Gerald nodded his head in understanding. He pulled out a notepad.

"Young master Micah had entered the study at his usual time of 7:32 on the dot. However, Kaiden was a whole two hours late from the market this morning and brought Micah's mid-morning tea only at 8:22."

Mid-morning. 8:22 was considered mid-morning for Micah? And I was still getting dressed at that time.

However, that was not the unusual detail.

“Kaiden was late? Does anyone know why?” I looked around at the faces of everyone around me.

I didn’t know this detail either in my first life. But it was significant enough that it should have been uncovered in my original life too. And yet, it was concluded to be unknown why Kaiden killed Micah after faithfully serving him for a full 15 years.

“Fine. We’ll tackle that mystery another time.” I waved my hand “Gerald, what happened after Micah received his tea? I understand that Kaiden was late, but why was Micah late to breakfast?”

Gerald's eyes glanced towards the door.

"Kaiden usually brings the tea and gives a short report to Micah. He leaves the study before Micah heads for breakfast. However this time they were talking for a longer time and left together,” Gerald said.

“Do you know what they discussed?” I aksed.

Gerald shook his head.

I figured as much. He stood guard outside the study, after all.

“But I did overhear a few words when they left together for breakfast,” he said.

“What were they?” I asked.

I felt the string of hope that something was being uncovered again.

Gerald looked visibly uncomfortable. His eyes were on the floor.

“What? What did you hear?” I probed again.

Gerald looked up and met my eyes.

“When they were leaving, I overheard Micah tell Kaiden the following words: ‘Don’t worry. I know no matter what you do, it’ll be for my sake. I trust you.’ I-I’m sorry. That’s what Micah said.”

I felt my mouth hang open. A laugh fell out.

That bastard.

Rage and disgust filled me.

Kaiden pulled the rug from under Micah’s feet. He had Micah’s full trust wrapped around his dirty fingers up until he stabbed him in the back.

What did Micah think at that moment when Kaiden betrayed his trust?

My fists clenched hard enough that my nails dug into my skin.

Kaiden was going to pay. I was going to make him pay for betraying Micah’s trust.

“Was there anything else?” I asked.

“N-no. There wasn’t,” Gerald said.

“Young master, perhaps we should take a break?” Nirre placed a hand on my shoulder.

“No.” I glared at her and pushed away her hand. “We’re going to the kitchen. I need to know why Kaiden was a whole two hours late.”

I walked away without another word.

I felt like I would blow up if I had spoken any longer. Anger thrummed through my veins.

I rubbed my temples.

I needed to cool my head. Getting angry wasn’t going to help me now.

***

“Young master Luca!”

Voices sounded in the kitchen at my appearance. All four of the usual staff were inside the spacious kitchen.

“How are you holding up? I heard what happened.”

“What brought you? Do you need anything? Are you hungry?”

“No, I’m here about–” I began speaking, but my stomach growled over my words.

Right. I never ate breakfast, did I?

“Come, come. Sit! I have just the thing for you!” Fiona, the head cook, pulled me down to sit at a table.

Her warm hands and perpetual smell of freshly baked bread that surrounded her brought about a newfound sadness within me, dissolving the rage I had brewing within me.

To me, she was like a second–or rather in my case–third mother. She had served the Frey household since before I was born until its downfall.

“I baked these for you this morning,” she said.

Poppy-seed rolls with golden tops appeared before me. The sweet delicacy disappeared into my mouth.

She sat down across from me, her chin resting in one hand.

I rarely attended breakfast with my family in my first life, but I never missed having a late breakfast in the kitchen.

“How are you holding up, my dear?” she asked.

She slid a glass of milk my way.

“It was so upsetting to hear about Micah. But when I heard about what you attempted, my heart broke. Luca, this world is more beautiful with you in it.”

I gulped down the cold milk.

That’s the problem. This world will always have me. Even if I die, I’ll still be here. But Micah won’t be unless I save him.

“It would be more beautiful with Micah in it,” I said.

"Oh, my poor boy." Fiona tapped a handkerchief over my cheeks.

I didn’t even realize I was crying.

All that rage seemed to have melted into tears.

What was with this influx of emotions? Was it because I was a teenager again? I knew I went through a late growth spurt but wasn't this a little much?

Or was it seeing everyone I loved still alive, and yet having them slip through my fingers yet again?

Fiona was one of those people that died in the fire that burned down the manor.

I took her handkerchief and whipped my face.

“Luca, dear. I know it’s hard right now, but you were given this life because you are strong enough to live it.”

I chuckled at her words.

“Am I really strong enough? Is that why I was given this life?”

I gazed up. I wondered if the System was watching this play out.

"Yes.” She nodded. “What happened to the persistent boy that never ever gave up?"

“That’s right. I am persistent,” I said. “And I don’t plan on giving up.”

I finished off the last of the milk and got to business.

“Fiona, I heard Kaiden was two hours late? Do you know why?”

Fiona’s eyes glanced around the room.

The kitchen was packed. There was the usual staff. Then there were all of the guards that followed me in.

She leaned over across the table and one hand covered her mouth from the view of others.

Mmm?

My senses were on high alert.

Just what did she have to share that she was acting like this?

“Please don’t let your mother know about this. There will be no peace if she finds out…”

I leaned in and mustered all my attention to hear her barely audible voice.

Just what could it be that my mother couldn’t find out?

“He had seen the Misfortune Sisters and got a reading done,” she whispered.

I frowned.

I didn't understand. What did fortune telling have to do with anything? The name 'Misfortune Sisters' rang some sort of bell, but nothing concerning Kaiden nor Micah.

“Why can’t Mother find out about this?” I asked.

I knew she hated fortune tellers, but to such an extent that Fiona was being so cautious?

Fiona licked her lips. She glanced around the room again and leaned in further.

“It’s taboo to talk about them in the Frey Manor. Even more so to see them, which is what Kaiden did.”

“Why is it taboo?”

“I’m afraid I can’t divulge that detail. It’s not my place to tell. Especially not to you.”

I frowned.

“I…don’t understand. What can you tell me?” I asked.

"They're called the Misfortune Sisters because rather than fortunes, they tell of misfortunes,” she said.

“And why is that so bad?” I asked.

I could see it useful to know what bad things were to occur and do something about it.

It didn’t seem different from my situation of knowing what misfortunes lay ahead and trying to prevent them.

"It's because of what follows. One sister tells the misfortune. The second offers a solution. However, the solution in itself will bring about a different misfortune,” Fiona said.

“Oh.”

“Nothing good ever comes from interacting with them. They’re called the Misfortune Sisters for a reason.

I rubbed my temples.

“Do you think… Kaiden killed Micah because of a misfortune telling?” I asked.

Fiona’s face darkened.

“I’m afraid so. I knew it was something awful based on his expression. But I would have never guessed that he’d kill young master Micah…”

She quickly added. “Please don’t tell your mother about the involvement of the Misfortune Sisters. It would shatter her.”

I suddenly understood why the cause of Kaiden’s betrayal and Micah’s death had never been uncovered in my original life.

Father had probably found it in his investigation. However, he likely hid the awful truth to spare Mother and the rest of the family from further heartache.

A misfortune telling was no excuse to kill someone.

A fresh wave of rage rose within me.

How could Kaiden kill Micah because of something so stupid? And just who were these Misfortune Sisters to have manipulated a loyal servant of 15 years into committing murder?

60