CH 08 – Breakfast Time (Part 7)
1.5k 9 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Strawberries. Why strawberries?

I pulled off my bed covers and stared at the new chandelier hanging on my now beige ceiling. Gone was the painted mural from my fourth life.

I had gone back in time earlier than I had originally planned. It was my fifth life. Or 'Round 5' as the System liked to call it.

And all because I ate some strawberries??

No matter how I think about it, it's odd. I don't remember ever being allergic to strawberries.

I frowned.

Not that I recall eating many fresh strawberries in my youth. Maybe I had later grown out of the allergy as I grew older? Or perhaps I just had too many, and that caused the issue? Or–

"Young master Luca, I'm coming in."

"Ah, I'm awake."

I had completely zoned out and didn't even hear Denise knock.

I stared at the reddish liquid in the teacup she brought and sniffed it. There was no doubt about it based on the sweet aroma, but I asked nonetheless.

"What is this?" I asked.

"It's strawberry-flavored black tea." Denise smiled

What is it with the damn tea each time?

"I'm deathly allergic to strawberries." I set the cup aside.

A tiny amount diluted in tea probably wouldn't kill me, but I wasn't about to take the chance and regress into my sixth life right after starting my fifth life.

"Oh my! I had no idea!" She looked horrified.

Believe me, you and me both, Denise.

"I'll get this out of your room right away. And I'll inform the staff," Denise said.

"Thank you."

I washed my face and got ready for the day.

Strawberries aside, I had a bigger problem. I regressed before I could figure out a solution for the Kaiden problem.

I couldn't ask the guards for help because they didn't trust me. And I couldn't warn Micah because he trusted Kaiden too much.

I ran my hands through my hair, every second ticking away.

From my investigation, I knew that Kaiden was with Micah the entire time, from the moment I awoke until he killed my brother.

I couldn't exactly tackle Kaiden to the ground when they walked to breakfast. I was too weak. I would be slapped aside like a fly and likely killed.

There was the possibility of drugging Kaiden, but I had no idea where our family's poisons and elixirs were stored. Nor did I have the needed equipment.

"Oh."

I gazed at Denise reflected in the mirror as she did my hair.

"Young master, is something the matter?" she asked. Her eyes beneath her oversized eyelashes met mine in the mirror.

"It's nothing," I said.

I suddenly realized that Denise probably didn't know where she could find the elixir that would work against a demonic shard in my third life. So she likely went and asked the oldest and most knowledgeable staff member, Kaiden. And that's how he probably found out and changed his weapon. It was the most probable explanation.

Tsk.

You die and learn.

"Can you keep my hair simple? I don't have much time," I requested.

"Certainly," Denise replied.

I had but a small window of time remaining to save Micah.

Damn it.

I stared at my reflection, my golden eyes gazing back at me.

Was there no other way?

Technically, I had a solution, but I didn't like it.

The solution was to kill Kaiden myself before he could kill Micah.

It was a simple but rather blunt and ugly way of solving the Kaiden problem. But it was the only one I came up with, given my limits.

I tried to assure myself of what I was about to do. I reasoned that I didn't have the cleanest life in my first life after the fall of the Frey household.

In my original life, I had taken on some truly ugly work. And after joining The Guard under Grandov, I had killed many more in the name of justice.

Would it matter if I killed one back-stabbing servant?

I excused Denise after she helped me dress and slipped the throwing dagger into my pant pocket.

No. It did matter.

The issue with killing Kaiden myself was that I was only 19 at this point in my life. Or at least outwardly appeared so.

I looked at my reflection one last time. Reflected back to me was a mere teenager. I was a child of the Frey household, but I was as harmless as a fly. I was about to shatter this innocent view of myself.

Tsk.

At this point, I had a squeaky-clean life. It was a lazy existence and while I had pulled some troubling pranks, my hands were still clean. I was hoping to keep it that way for a while.

"Young master, where are you going? The dining room is that way." Henry was walking quickly behind me.

"I need to see Micah first," I replied and turned the corner.

I knew the path Micah took on this day to get to breakfast. I was going to meet him before he went into the dining room and spare my younger siblings from something unsightly.

"Luca? What are you doing up so early?" Micah walked toward me and smiled brightly. "Come! Have breakfast with–"

SWOOSH!

My dagger flew past Micah and right into Kaiden's neck.

"What–"

Micah turned around and looked down at his attendant of fifteen years choking on blood. My dagger was up to its hilt, deep in his neck.

I inadvertently smiled but forced the corners of my mouth down.

Even if I can't walk a few blocks without breaking out into a sweat, I can still land a perfect throw. I've still got it.

"Kaiden!" Henry bounced to the dying man's side.

"What was that for?" Henry balked at me. His face was of complete confusion.

"He had a demonic poison shard. He was going to use it to kill you." My voice cracked involuntarily. I was suddenly afraid.

I had just killed someone Micah saw as practically being a second father to him. I hoped he'd believe that I had good intentions.

However, unlike Henry, Micah had an oddly calm expression.

"Is that so?" Micah said.

He squatted beside his dying attendant and checked his pockets. Holding up between his index and thumb, he pulled out the demonic shard.

"Oh my goodness," Henry exclaimed and took the black shard out of Micah's outstretched hand. He held it as if it were a dead rat.

Three additional guards rushed over, having heard the commotion.

"Please treat him gently." Micah closed Kaiden's eyes with his right hand. Kaiden was dead.

Kaiden may have tried to kill him, but it appeared that Micah still had a lot of affection for his attendant of fifteen years.

Micah stood up and walked over to me. He had a somber expression.

"Thanks, Luca. You saved my life." He patted my right shoulder.

I felt relieved. I didn't realize it until then, but my teeth had been chattering. They finally stopped when Micah patted me. It finally felt real.

He was alive. I saved him. I was scared that I'd fail yet again. I was scared to watch him die right before me. But I saved him. He didn't die this time.

Another worry crossed my mind. But I just killed a man. What must he think of me?

But Micah smiled brightly at me like usual and pulled me with him towards the dining room.

"I'm glad I suggested that Father give you that dagger to protect yourself. Never would have imagined it'd be my life it saved. Now, let's go eat breakfast since you came down for once."

I balked at his nonchalant attitude. I was worried he'd think I was a monster or at least have some concern regarding his life, but this was his reaction??

"How are you so calm? You nearly died," I said.

"But I didn't." Micah winked. "You saved me. Besides, it's hardly the first assassination attempt I've lived through."

Micah laughed. And I felt my stomach sink.

This wasn't the first assassination attempt. That meant it was unlikely to be the last.

 

Luca managed to save Micah finally... for now. But will he have to save his brother again in the future?

And the morning has only started! We're still on day one of the regression. 

Thank you for reading! Please look forward to next chapter. ( ̄▽ ̄)ノ

56