8. New Employee
92 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bookcase is in the corner of the second floor. It is quite hidden under the contrast of light and shadow of the room.
Now standing in front of it, John can see the shelves filled with old books. Most of the books are in poor condition. some book spines are falling apart while other books have traces of being eaten by insects.

'It seems that these books are not important to the Ferenc family. It might not be touched for many years.' John thinks as he swipes the thick dust on the shelf.

After wiping off the dust in his fingers, John randomly takes one of the books on the top row shelf. Opening the first few pages, the title of the book is shown. "Hawk of the Gods."

'Hawk... that bird in the Ferenc's crest. This book seems to be a bibliography of the Ferenc family. But I don't think the Ferenc has deep ties to the church.' John thinks as he skims through a few more pages.

"This is just a storybook, but it is one that I have never heard about." John puts the book back on the shelf.

After looking at a checking more items, John returned to the room's entrance with a piece of paper.

"These are the items I am interested in getting, and this is the amount I am willing to buy them for., John explains the paper to the butler.

Looking at the list of items and the amount of money John was willing to spend, the butler has a happy yet worried expression.

"Please wait in the guest room as I look for the master." The butler told John as he leads him outside the room.

The butler then called to a passing maid to come closer. After the maid and butler talked in hushed voices, the butler turned and left.

"Please follow me to the guest room." The maid shyly bowed at John and briskly walked forward. As the two are walking, the maid's leg suddenly caught the rug, making the maid fall on her face.

Seeing the accident, John came closer and offered his hand to the maid. She accepted it, then John hoisted the maid to her feet.

"Thank you... kyaaahh." As if she remember the person in front of her, the maid made a cute yelp, stepped back, and then fell on her behind.

John looked at the maid full of confusion. But the longer he stares at the red-faced maid, the more he feels he had seen this maid before.

'It was the clumsy maid from earlier.' John mischievously smiled.

The maid stood by herself this time and quickly walked in front once again. John followed and soon returned to the familiar guest room

As the maid leaves the room, the maid looks back at John. Seeing the maid's action, John winks at her. 

The maid quickly left the room and accidentally slammed the door closed. 

It did not take long for Ferenc to arrive with the butler. This time, Ferenc's face has a hint of joy.

"We meet again Sir Ferenc, do you have any dissatisfaction with my offer."

Ferenc quickly denied it. 

"Sir Shelby, are you sure you have written the correct amount of money here." Ferenc shows the piece 

"Yes, I think it's quite a fair price."

"Hahaha, Sir Shelby, it is a pleasure doing business with you. 

Ferenc stands up and offered his hand to John. John firmly shooked the extended hand. 

 

The next day, John returned to Ferenc's home with a wagon and some helpers he rented from Joy's Tavern. 

While the helpers waited outside the house, John was led to Ferenc's study room by the butler.

Outside the room, Ferenc's voice can be heard arguing with a woman. 

"How could you sell Ferenc's history! Did your obtaining a position in the central government made you insane!"

"You know better than I am that no one even goes to that room anymore. Besides, all precious items are in here."

"No matter! If the grandfather is still alive he would be ashamed that you became a part of the royal family..."

The butler quickly knocked at the door.

The room turned silent.

"Come in" Ferenc's voice sounded from the door.

As the door opens, he saw a very organized room. On the wall are two bookcases of neatly arranged books. It has a fireplace and on top hangs a single sword. On the open wall is a map of the Aurelia. At the center is a table. Ferenc and the woman are separated by the table, both staring at John.

"Sir Shelby, it seems you caught me in a good time. I would like you to meet my sister, Lucia Ferenc." Ferenc introduced the woman

Lucia stared at John like he had killed her father. Then with a haughty hmph, she left the room.

Here is the money I promised, John handed out a small pouch to Ferenc. After feeling the weight and counting the money, Ferenc smiled.

"You can tell your men to get your items."

John returned to the front and told the men outside what to get and what not to touch.

As John supervise the men getting the items from the large room, Ferenc quietly appeared next to John. 

"You know sometimes I doubt my decision of becoming a government official. Would my grandparents who had been a knight be disappointed in me."

"But aren't you still going to step to a more dangerous battlefield, Sir Ferenc?" John calmly answered even though he was surprised by Ferenc's sudden appearance.

"...... Hahaha, yes! The days Ferenc leads the troop on the field may be over, but Ferenc will now enter a new battlefield. Where words are used to clash, wits and deception are used to their fullest. But..." Ferenc heartily agreed.

Against his better judgment, John asked. "But what, Sir Ferenc?"

"It's about my sister. Her fiery temper and sharpness have scared all potential suitors. She is now passed the ideal marrying age and because of her..." Ferenc sighed and didn't continue. "I don't think I

'That is the reason why he is still not married' John thought as he looked at Ferenc.

"If you like ... I can accept her as an apprentice in my store." John jokingly replied. 

Hearing such a reply, Ferenc looked at John seriously. "How much are you willing to pay an apprentice."

John mentally calculates his expense with the store revenue and gave a serious reply. "Around 4 silvers a day plus a housing."

In reference, a decent blacksmith can earn 6 silvers after a hard day at the smithy.

"Starting tomorrow Lucia Ferenc will work for you," Ferenc said to John. 

"But Sir Ferenc, an unmarried woman living in a bachelor's home will create gossip," John replied.

"Gossip won't bother me. I need someone I can trust to look after my sister. She is not suited to life in the capital." Ferenc continued. "Think of it doing a ... favor for me"

"... I accept... but I will treat her as an actual apprentice," John warned.

"That is fine with me. Can you also afford to pay for a maid?" Ferenc continued to ask.

6