9. Housemates
112 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In front of Charles Emporium, a black carriage had stopped. Its side is decorated with a crest of a hawk holding a sword with feet and on its body is a shield with red stripes; the crest signifies who is the owner of the carriage. 

The old butler got off next to the coachman and opened the carriage's door. Ferenc wearing a formal gentlemen's attire slowly exited the carriage.

Meanwhile, a familiar maid can be seen untying the ropes holding the pieces of baggage in the back of the carriage.

After observing the surrounding, Ference turned around and helped his sister, Lucia, get off the car. 

All of this is seen by John who was staring out from the store's windows. Seeing Ferenc get down, John went outside his store.

Seeing John go outside, Ferenc walked closer to him. He said in a firm tone as he shakes John's hands.

"John, I will leave my sister in your care. I will visit after the I have settled everything in the capital."

John simply nods.

"I don't mind if I found out I become an uncle." Ferenc continued.

"Wai... wait a minute..." John accidentally choked and then stammered to Ferenc.

Ignoring John, Ferenc turned around and tried to say goodbye to Lucia. In response, Lucia simply turned her head away and didn't say anything. Seeing her sister's action, Ferenc still said a few words.

After Ferenc privately talked to Lucia, he explained to John. "I wish I can stay longer, but I need to say farewell to a few more friends and the city lord." 

Meanwhile, 4 items of luggage have been brought down by the maid and butler from the carriage. 

Ferenc returned to the carriage along with the butler. The carriage slowly moves and went toward the city center leaving 3 people in the streets.

John did not get a good look at Lucia when he first met her. Now standing in front of him, John can see the semblance between the two siblings. Both have the same strawberry blonde hair, but the length of Lucia is to her upper back. She has piercing dark blue eyes and a square face. Her outfit is a casual blue dress that shows the rolling plains of her body.

"Huh? Did you say think something bad about me?" Lucia narrowed her eyes.

John went in front of Lucia and asked. "No, I simply thought that your dress looks very beautiful; they match your eyes."

"Tha...thank you, Mister Shelby."

"Mister Shelby is too formal. You can call me John. I hope we can get along."

"Yes... Mister John." Lucia awkwardly agreed. 

"Then may I?" John shows his hand forward.

"Yes." Lucia was flustered as she places her hand on his.

John looked at Lucia with confusion. "Ahem, I mean may I take your luggage?"

Lucia turned silent; her face was crimson. Seeing no objection, John grabbed the two bulky pieces of luggage near Lucia's feet and lifted them. The maid carried the remaining two pieces of baggage.

He leads them inside the shop. Lucia and the maid curiously looked at the various items in the shop. John turned around and seriously said.

"This is the main store. In the future, you will help me run this shop. But before that, can you please lock the door." John asked the maid.

After he heard the lock click, John led the two women up the stairs to the second floor.

"I welcome you to my humble home." John looked at the two women. "This is the main room which also acts as the kitchen and dining room."

"In case of fire, we can exit through that window into the metal balcony." John points at the furthest window from the stairs.

John went to a set of 4 doors near the stairs.

"Lucia this is your room." John opened the door revealing a decent-sized room. It has a large bed, drawers, a wardrobe, tables and a chair. There is even a window to the streets.

"The bathroom is this door right here."  John points at the door between Lucia's room and the stairs leading to the attic.

Seeing Lucia quietly enter the room, John placed the pieces of luggage his carrying inside the room. 

The young maid tried to go in but is stopped by John.

"I never got your name, young lady." John turned to the maid.

"...Elma."

"Well Elma, before you help Lucia, I'll show you where you will stay at."

"...But this is also Lady Lucia's luggage." Elma points at one of the luggage she is holding.

"Hahaha, no worries." john said as he took the luggage and placed it in the room.

Seeing Lucia sit in the room with a dazed expression, John quietly closed the door.

John leads Elma to the attic upstairs. The attic has closed ceilings showing the shape of the dormer roof. The windows let the morning light enter the attic. Most of the rooms are filled with items draped in white clothes.  Some of the items brought from Ferenc's home can be seen near the stairs.

John leads Elma away from the stair to a door.

"This is where you will stay," John said as he opened it, revealing a medium-sized room. It has a small bed against the window, an old wardrobe, and a table and chair. 

"It's a good room, but the attic doesn't have heater pipes or a fireplace. The pipes do run at the floor in this particular room." John looked at Elma.

"I put extra blankets on the bed. If it gets too cold at night, you can try covering the windows."

Seeing Elma carrying her luggage to the wardrobe, John thought of something.

"By the way... Elma... I am the one that will pay your salary. So I will be your future master, not Lucia."

John turned and left the attic. He returned to his room and the serious face disappeared.

'Hahahaha! How lucky can I get? I can use Lucia as a way to get more affluent customers to buy from the shop. If not I can still use her as the face of the shop. I can see the revenue increase now.' John began thinking about the future. 

'Lucia should be fluent in math and communications. If I train her properly, she can even run the shop while I do other things.'

 

-----

In the middle of the Charmant City.

"So you are leaving tomorrow," Charmant said as he placed the teacup on the table.

"Yes, uncle. All the Ferenc's belonging is being loaded onto the airship as we speak." The person in front of Charmant was Ferenc.

"I was still surprised when you decided to join the central government instead of the military," Charmant said.

"Uncle, I simply choose a different battlefield. If I want to influence the empire as you had done,

"You better be careful. The capital is sometimes even crueler than war." Charmant warns.

"I know; hence, I have to go there early to say my greetings to the old foxes and snakes" Ferenc agreed.

"Nevertheless, it seems your younger sister isn't joining you in the capital, or is she already there?" Charmant asked.

"My sister hates the capital. Every time she accompanied me there, she would simply stay inside the house. Otherwise, her every move will be watched and scrutinized. Moreover, it is a place with bad memories..." Ferenc melancholy said before finishing the tea.

"... I see. Hildegard was going to your home today. She wanted to talk to Lucia before the two of you left." 

"Oh... Lucia does not live in that manner any longer. All the family servants are either moving to the capital or have been let go. I sent Lucia to live with a trustworthy person." Ferenc said as he crossed his leg.

"Ohhhh? What a surprise. It seems there are still people worthy of your trust, Sir Ferenc. You even let your beloved sister to that person." Charmant showed a rarely seen gaffed expression. 

"Yes, I have a feeling that this man will keep my sister safe." Ferenc slyly smiled.

 

 

6