10. Training
141 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It is still early morning, and the sky has just started to lighten, but the city is already awake. People can be seen moving from their homes to the west side of the city.  Inside Charles's Emporium, three people had already started their day.

Elma had helped Charles prepare baked beans and toasted bread for breakfast. Surprisingly, Lucia was wide awake when Elma went to wake her up for breakfast. After eating, the three head down to the shop.

"First. I will explain what to do when a customer wants to deposit their items. First, we asked if this is for safekeeping or lending, then write down their name, the date they came, and a 6-digit number. The first number depends on the type of item. The next four correspond to the month and date. A last number is a random number you choose."

John explains to the two women as he points at the open log book. Through the morning light, The two women examine the logs with serious expressions.

"Then, you write the numbers again on this ticket card. This will be handed over to the customer. If it's safekeeping, the customer simply pays upfront, but if it's for lending we will give money to the customer. Typically, we hold items for one week. Items for safekeeping can be held much longer, but the customer needs to pay more." John explains as he opened the counter's drawer revealing the stacks of ticket cards.

"How much money do we lend the customer?" Lucia cast an inquiring look at John.

"It depends on many things, but I based it on questions such as 'how much am I willing to buy this item for,' 'will this person return and redeem the item,' and 'is this person rich.'"

"Isn't that a bit too immoral?" Lucia looked at John with a look of disgust.

"It is simply normal business. Besides, not all people that come to that door have a good conscience. Some crooks will sell stolen or fake items. When that happens and the police come knocking, the only thing we can do is to hand over the items back at no cost." John only shrugged his shoulders.

John then continued explaining other parts such as 

Soon, John went over other topics such as how to try and sell more items from the display area to customers.

John stopped after seeing that the time on the clock is half past 8. He went to the front, unlocked the doors, and flipped the open sign at the windows.

"Now it is time to put what you just learned into practice," John said to the two as he walked back to the counter.

"Sir John, you're not going to help us?" Lucia asked in disbelief.

"I believe you can do it, Lucia." John turned to Elma. "Elma, your job will be to help Lucia, and sweep the floor when the store is empty." 

"...Okay..." Elma answered in a small voice. 

Hearing the whisper-like voice, John sighed and sat down on a nearby chair.

Soon the door chime rang and a young man walked straight to the counter.

"I would like to deposit this box for safekeeping."

"Of course, under what name?" Lucia shows off her communication skills as a noble.

"Cid Truman" The young man answered.

"That would be 1 silver" 

The young man rummage through his coat's pocket and placed the silver on the counter. 

"Here is your ticket. To redeem the box, simply have this ticket with you." 

The young man took the ticket and left the store.

Lucia looked at John with a haughty expression as if saying 'this job is a piece of cake.'

John simply sighed and said, "You forgot to ask how long we keep the box for... but you still did a good job on your first transaction."

Lucia's proud face collapsed when her mistake was revealed but became happy when John praised her.

John didn't say the other thing in his mind. 'Strange... folks like the young man ....usually lends item to get money..."

John focuses his attention on the box being carried by Elma to the storage room.

Soon more customers came, but John who was silently observing noticed something amiss. Many of the guests will pretend to look around the display area, but will secretly stare at Lucia and Elma.

'These people are crowding the store. It looks like the two are so busy they haven't noticed the stares.' John thinks as he stands from his seat. One by one, John awkwardly get close to these people and asked. "Do you need help, Sir?" 

John would then talk about items in front of the guest trying to sell them.  

Some customers were forced to buy, others get angry and left, and the rest will simply say no and leave the shop.

 After closing the shop, Lucia and John went back upstairs to the main room.

Lucia was so exhausted that she collapsed on the couch. Meanwhile, John had picked up his book. While trying to relax, the appetizing aroma spreads.

John looks toward the kitchen area to see Elma stirring a pot on the stove. John had sent her earlier to prepare supper. 

Elma walked and announced in her small voice that dinner is ready. The three sat together at the table with a bowl of beans, meat, and rice soup.

The three eating together is John's idea. Last night Lucia was hesitant about the idea of eating together with Elma. Elma has no choice on the other hand has no choice since John had ordered her to eat with him.

Now Lucia was so famished that she didn't care about Elma eating in front of her.

John looked at the two with pride. "You two did a wonderful job today."

"Honestly. I'm exhausted. Was it always busy in your store?"

"No, I think the reason a lot came in is to see the two roses."

"Roses... I did not see any roses in the store?" Lucia looked confused at John. Seeing John's mischievous gaze, she finally understood John's meaning.

"Mister John, you meant Elma and me." Lucia blushed slightly.

 

Lucia was leisurely seating on the sofa in the main room, while the noise of dishes can be heard in the kitchen. 

Lucia looked at the man in front of him. 

"Mister John, I am curious about what kind of book are you enjoying," she asked. 

"This is a book on how to use a rapier." John shows the cover to her.

"Can I see some of your sword technique?"

"If you insist." John put down the book on the table. He stood up from his seat and grabbed an old cane.

John lowered his body, and hold the cane like a rapier. He lowered his body thrusting his posterior back and extending his sword hand. He thrust the came from different angles. Afterward, John also performed a cut by swinging the cane from different positions. 

"What a beautiful form, it seems you have been learning rapier for more than a few years. However, it seems you have not experienced any combat." Lucia criticizes john's skill.

"How did you know?" John looked at Lucia with a puzzled expression.

"To me, it feels like your sword is monotone. There is no fluidity between each move and your footwork is all over the place."

"It seems that you're very proficient in using a sword."

"Of course. As a person from Ferenc, I was trained since I was a child." Lucia proudly looked at John.

"Lucia, can you teach me how to wield the sword properly."

"I cannot. I am only proficient in wielding a two-handed longsword and what you're using is a rapier. Besides your skill in the rapier is excellent enough. What you need is someone who you can train and spar with to hone your ability." Lucia happily smirked at John.

 

 

 

 

6