13. Meeting
385 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"There are no items that are due today, and since we just did a great sale yesterday, today will be a day off?"

"Day off?" Elma repeated the words.

"It means there is no work today," John explained to the confused girl.

"If that is the case, Elma and I will be visiting Hildegard" Lucia thought for a while before answering.

"That is okay, but please return before it gets dark."

The three went outside the shop. John waves at an incoming carriage in the street causing it to stop in front of the shop. 

After seeing the two women get on the carriage, he went back inside the shop. John walked straight to the counter and took the box underneath. After confirming the weight of the box, he quickly left and lock the shop.

Charles walked a few blocks west. He stopped at a small smithy. The sound of a hammer and grindstone can be heard.

He opened the door and entered the shop.

A freckled young boy is at the counter playing with a metal top.

"Is Roy in the back? Can you tell him John is looking for him?" John asked the boy

The boy examined John before turning and disappearing through the back door. Once the boy left, John looked around the shop. On the counter, there are different types and sizes of knives. The main area is littered with wagon and carriage parts.

'Even though Roy found success in making and repairing wagons and carriages. He still makes knives to try and keep the traditions alive.'

"If it isn't my nephew. Didn't I just see you a few days ago?" A rough voice broke John from his thoughts.

The voice came from a sweaty burly man who wearing thick gloves and overalls. The young boy had already returned to the counter looking at them.

"Hello, Uncle Roy. I am just here to check up on the other swords."

"Hahaha, You're just like your grandfather, always impatient. The of you always did bring excellent swords to me. Well, come in, she is inside."

Roy returned to the workshop with John.

"I am only finished repairing the rapier. The previous hilt was deformed so I had to create a new one that is similar to the previous creator's intention. Now, I just need to make a scabbard since it didn't have one."

Roy explained as he showed John the rapier on top of the table.

"What a beautiful sword. Its appearance is on par with White Grace."

"Yes, all of them are a beaut. In this day and age, it is just so hard to find works that have the soul of their creator."

"By the way, what is the name of the sword?" John looked at Roy.

Roy scratched his head and explained. "Well this rapier has a flower-shaped hilt guard, so let us call it Metal Rose."

"Uncle Roy, I will come back later this afternoon to pick it up."

"It should be done by then. John, I might not be able to restore all the swords for the next few weeks. I have two orders to make a carriage."

That is fine, I can wait for it. By the way, was that your child on the front?" John said before leaving the sword.

"I don't know John. I played around when I was young. Imagine my surprise when the lad arrives in my shop holding a letter and a keepsake." Roy sighed.

"Well, at least you can train the kid as an apprentice." John tried to cheer himself up.

"Yeah, that is my plan." Roy sighed again.

After saying goodbye, John left the smithy.

'Finally, I can start practicing with a real rapier and not with a cane.' John hummed as he waved at a nearby carriage.

John got off at the manor on the outskirt of the city. On  top of the manor, a sign read "North Charmant Gun Club."

He entered the door. Inside was a large lounge where some men were drinking tea or smoking cigars.

John walked to the counter.

"Afternoon Vivian, is the range bust today?" John asked the middle-aged blonde receptionist.

"No, do you want to use one of the guns? We just got a few models from Victoria." 

"That would be great, can I also get a few round-tip bullets." 

"Of course. I do need to warn you that you almost exhausted your bullet allowance for the month. Do you want to upgrade your membership from an affiliate to an associate?" Vivian asked with a plastered smile.

"I don't know, I just became an affiliate of the club a week ago. I'll consider the offer if I visit the club more often than I expected." John declined.

Vivian gave a piece of paper to John and said. "That is fine. Here is your list." 

After taking the list, John went out to the back of the building to the armory. He simply gave the list to the person in charge of the armory. 

After a while, John went to the firing range with a bunch of guns and bullets.

John picked up the imported gun. It was a bolt-action rifle. Its body is mainly made of wood, with steel mechanisms. After loading a clip into the rifle, John aimed at the practice target.

"Bang" click "Bang" click "Bang"

After shooting, John got close to the target and saw he landed all his shots on the target. 

"Wow, this feels better than the bolt action rifle I shot the few times I was here." John praised the gun.

"Yeah, that gun is the new model released by the Manton company in Victoria. They improved the locking mechanism and the handle doesn't get hot anymore. However, it seems that even such a gun can't fix your terrible aim," A scruffy voice sounded behind John.

"Hoffman, did you not see that I was able to land all my shots on the target." John put down the gun and turned around to Hoffman.

Hoffman is an old lanky man. He has a curled mustache and wearing hunting clothes. John was under his tutelage when john first joined the club.

"Well, you did improve a lot since the first time you came here. A novice that cannot even land a shot or two after all wasting all those bullets. I was even doubtful if I can help fix your terrible aim." Hoffman shakes his head while reminiscing.

"Well, you did give me some pointers. At least you don't have to supervise any new members for a while. Besides I came here to test this beautiful gun if it works or not." John said as he returned to his original spot. He then put down the rifle and opened the case in front of Hoffman. 

"A custom-made New Haven lever-action rifle. A reliable gun, but in terms of popularity, it loses to newer rifles that can shoot pointed bullets. Rumors are that Saxon even designed a gun that can reload using air and some kind of mechanism." Hoffman said.

"Sounds like a load of turd. The Saxons are just saying those to intimidate the neighboring countries" John replied as he loads the bullets into the gun. He then aimed at the targets and started shooting.

"Bang" clank "Bang" clank "Bang" 

After John pulled the lever forward at the end, he looked at the gun with admiration.

"Damn, this is such a nice rifle. It feels faster than a bolt action." John compliments the gun

"The only drawback of such a gun is that it has too many parts. Moreover, inexperienced users have to re-aim after pulling the lever. With such flaws, I was able to convince the country's military to buy the more expensive bolt action rifles instead."

"I almost forgot that you're from a family of a weapons manufacturer. If your info is right, then... Saxon does have such guns," John looks at Hoffman with admiration.

"Well then, I'll stop bothering you. If you become a good shot, I might invite you to go on a safari" Hoffman joked as he went back towards the armory.

After John finished his practice, he went back and relaxed in the mansion.

 

----A few hours ago. 

Lucia and Elma have gotten off the carriage at the central district.

"Mistress is this the place we're supposed to meet Lady Charmant." Elma squinted her eyes at the building in front of her. 

It was an ordinary two-floor building. To a passerby, it may just have been an ordinary business office.

 "It is quite close to the city hall and the central police, so it might just be the place," Lucia answered persistently.

The two women entered and saw a young girl at the receptionist's desk.

"We're here to see Miss Charmant." Elma handed an invitation letter to the young girl.

After seeing the cover and the content of the letter, the receptionist told Lucia.

"Lady Ferenc has been expecting you. Please follow me." The receptionist said as she led the two upstairs. 

The upstairs gave a different feeling than on the first floor. The first floor had polished wooden floors and walls, but the second floor is more like a noble's home. The wall is decorated with white patterned wallpaper and the floor is carpeted red and black. 

The receptionist knocked on the door and announced. "The guest is here."

The door is opened by Sue. After nodding, the receptionist left.

Sue then guided Lucia and Elma to a waiting room. Lucia sat on the cushioned chair, while Elma was standing to her right. The table already has some tea sets and sandwiches. After s

Soon Hildegard entered the room by herself. After small wind caused the door to open, Hildegard entered the room. From the viewpoints of Lucia and Elma, they don't see anyone that opened the door. 

Lucia cast an uncertain gaze on Hildegard who sat on the chair in front of her. 

"Hilda, I will join your organization, but I will still work at the antique shop." Lucia directly said her thoughts.

"Oh my, you do like him. That is fine. I just want a confidante that I can reveal my secrets. Though if you see any suspicious person, please report," Hildegard calmly said.

"So tell me, why did the Flower of Charmant suddenly decide to create an information organization," Lucia asked.

"I was granted power by a powerful higher creature. At first, I was scared and confused. However, the terrorist attack happened here in the city. My father kept me in the dark, but I somewhat knew it is a battle between powerful people. I felt so useless, but the creature told me secrets."

Lucia looked at Hildegard with confusion.

"Honestly, I know it is hard to believe. This is the card that made me commune with the being." Hildegard said as she summons the card to her hand.

Lucia and Elma tried to look closely at Hildegard's hand, but cannot see anything.

"Fine, you might not see the card, but I can let you feel its power." 

Lucia wanted to ask what Hildegard meant, but she suddenly felt extreme pressure.

It was as if she was carrying a large mountain. As Lucia looked at Hildegard, she saw Hildegard sitting on a throne. The throne was made of bones of different creatures. In between the bones are thousands of squirming maggots. Lucia fell to her knees only to discover the floor is also in the same state as the throne. Lucia used all her strength to look up at Hildegard. 

Lucia saw Hildegard wearing a white dress that looks harder than any armor Lucia saw in her entire life. Behind Hildegard are 8 wings of...

"Arrrrrgggggghhhhh!" 

Lucia screamed in agony. The intense pain suddenly brought back her sense. She is still in the room sitting in the chair. The only difference is that Elma is in front of her holding two knives. Meanwhile, Sue has aimed a revolver at Elma.

"Hildegard, what are you?" Lucia said weakly as she leaned back on the chair.

"Mistress!" Elma turned around as she heard Lucia's voice. When she saw the state of Lucia, she took out a handkerchief from her pockets.  She carefully wiped off the blood from Lucia's cheeks and ears.

Hildegard waited till Elma cleaned Lucia. Meanwhile, Sue has concealed the recovery back to her maid's clothes.

"I told you. It was a power granted by this card." Hildegard shrugged and hold the card in front of her.

Lucia once again looks at Hildegard's hand, but this time she can see an outline of a card.

"Hahaha, you can also see it now." Hildegard happily exclaimed as she saw Lucia's shocked expression.

"This card granted me power, and through me, I can grant others with similar power." Hildegard declared.

Lucia was silent after thinking about the scene she saw.

"Lucia, do you also want to gain such power?" 

4