The Thirteenth – Chapter 14 – The Theater of Dr. David MacIntyre
31 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Writer's note - Chapter 14 was inadvertently copied over chapter 13.  that has been fixed now, so Chapter 13 now has the proper text.

****

After the brief enjoyment of the pleasantly awkward introductions Dr. Dave decided that what was mostly needed, to reduce the tension was to start expounding on the display of occult madness surrounding the three of us.

He didn't use the word madness, of course, that’s my interpretation. In fact, my recollections might be a bit harsh.

“Now this is the sort of thing that you don't see every day,” he started, “this is a clear blood sacrifice, intended not to invoke, but to actually revoke a very powerful conjuration.”

“I rather glad at that, Doctor MacIntyre,” I replied in the driest tone I could manage. , “you see sort of things made it difficult to rent apartments in anything close to the going rate.”

He turned back to us, switching his gaze between me and Fingers.

“What sort of impressions to either you get from this,” he started again. “How does it make you feel?”

“Disgusted,” I offered, “and I do feel like throwing up a bit. Sort of the same way any other sane human being would feel I guess.”

I looked over at fingers, he looked back at me not the least bit of disapproval in his glance, maybe finally even a bit of sympathy.

“I feel something,” he said to the doctor, “It feels like there's something broken here. And that something is entering through the break.”

Dr. Dave pointed a finger at fingers and smiled.

“That's exactly it,” he told them, “Oh, you must be a sensitive man, Detective Fingers.”

He turned around, held out his hands as if he was testing the air but this mythical presence but he said he detected.

“Yes” he said there is a bit of it still remaining, “The Luciferian magic used here was intended to break a past spell that blocked out some kind of power from manifesting on earth.”

He turned back to us,

“Mr. Smith,” he addressed me. “Have you ever seen the any of the symbols around the building before say in another apartment in any of your property’s public spaces before today.”

I was about to say no, automatically, as it seemed ridiculous. Half the city had graffiti which could match bits and pieces of anything we saw here.  Toronto had never been short of the odd Satanist as long as I’d lived here.

But I didn't, because there were some things that I have seen about building. Arturo and show me a couple of pieces, , one scrawled on the sidewalk outside in chalk a couple months back. Did they mean anything? I don't know. Would telling Dr. Dave about them get him off my back, I didn't know that either.

“Yes,” I told him and I told him where and I told him walked and it suggested that he might want to talk to Arturo to see if the super had noticed anything else. At least that's my guess the doctor to target someone else to bother.

It might not get me in Arturo's good books, but I'd been holding back on the bonus that Emily has suggested he deserved.  After this, he might start looking for work elsewhere.

The doctor however nodded at my remarks and began looking around and commenting about the arrangement of circles on the ceiling overhead. I turned to Fingers.

“Are you enjoying the theatre of Dr. David MacIntyre now?” I asked.

“I’ve already learned a few things here,” Fingers told me. “Some of what the Doctor has mentioned could be useful.”

I shook my head.

“I don’t think there’s anything rational to glean out of what Billingsly left here.”

“We’ll see,” Fingers offered.

“Can I get out of the circus now?” I asked.

He gave me an irritated glance.

“Are you planning on leaving town?” he asked.

I wasn't sure if he was serious, thought.

“Well, I think I've got to go up to Vaclav’s place to drop off some papers tonight.” I told him. “Does Richmond Hill count as town?”

He nodded, still seeming serious. I’d had enough.

“Am I a fucking suspect? Just because I happened to have been in this apartment a month ago?”

He sighed, looked back over to the Doctor, who appeared to be offering some advice to a couple crime techs.

“Just in case we find something that might have something to do with any of your other tenants,” he told me. “It was your idea that others were involved.”

“I'll be back by ten, probably” I told him. “You know how Vaclav likes to turn in early.

He looked at me, eyes narrowed.

“Can’t you get a courier to take care of that,” he suggested.

“Late-night couriers are expensive,” I told them. “And besides, personal delivery of legal documents are in my contract. And I think I need a break after all this. Don’t you?”

“Make sure you get back,” he told me. “With luck we’ll have a preliminary determination by tomorrow. I wouldn’t want to post a BOLO.”

“Really, that quickly? Aren’t there plenty of more dead people for your coroners to look at?”

“As a matter of fact, no. It’s been a couple weeks since our last murder. We live in a very safe city.”

“Lucky all of us then,” I offered.

“And remember Johnny,” Fingers added, “that Vaclav likes to reminisce.”

“I promise to lay off his Napoleon Brandy,” I lied.

He at least smiled at that.

“Then Can I go now,” I told him , “I've got a werewolf chained upstairs, I better let her go before she calls 911.”

That did get a smile out of him. You see, I am actually an accomplished people person, When I’m pushed far enough.

“Oh, wait.  I probably shouldn’t have told you that."

0