Chapter 1
89 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“That dream again...” commented Lucy as she sat straight up on her bed. Scratching her head as she yawned, she got up to her feet, grabbed a set of clothes from the closet, and took a shower before heading off to the bus stop.

 

 

 

 

 

Half an hour later, Lucy proceeded towards the large doors that would welcome a crowd of students during the weekday. Today, they welcome the few students who considered a field trip on a Saturday a worthwhile investment of their limited free time.

Passing through the empty corridor and into the campus, the only signs of life existed on the PE field where students engrossed themselves in sports or the congregation of students who waited by the busses in the parking lot. A rather apt dichotomy between cliques of which she belonged to none. The students around her amused themselves in each other's company. One group of boys talked about an exciting incident on social media, a group of girls laughed as they point at each other, and general good times were had with the other students. Her phone would provide enough company.

Opening her messaging app, she revisited the farewell messages from her former friends, promises to keep in touch, and photos from trips to the shopping center they used to hang out at. “Fifteen days”, she mutters.

The time to depart had come as all students boarded the bus. After an hour ride, the college came into view. From a distance, it looked no different than her current middle school, but upon arrival, she saw how great a campus it was. Her mind started wondering if this was a community college, how much bigger a more prestigious institution would be. The buildings appeared renovated, feeling very modern yet preserving the decor of their near-century heritage. Green was everywhere as grass and trees surrounded the campus. The most stunning and eye-catching feature of the campus was the pond, one of many in this area, and the college claimed a rather large one.

Sometime in the afternoon, when the guide had finally finished the tour, a chance for the students to explore was granted provided they kept their phones on at all times. The pond beckoned her, or perhaps the residents of this pond were the ones calling.

She saw them from afar during the bus ride but was uncertain of their identity. Now she could confirm that they were mute swans. Her only experience with the beautiful creatures was through images online. Seeing them up close for the first time was an amazing experience. She desired to mark this occasion with her own photographs and filled her phone with memories of the majestic creatures. As she continued to gather a gallery of this scenic view, two swans swam towards each other and touched bills. With their necks bent, their beaks and breast pressed together, a heart had taken shape. A perfect photo opportunity that rarely comes one's way presented itself before her. A chance for popularity on social media where a single photo can make one famous for a day or two. Luck smiled upon her when it brought her to this moment.

With a grimace on her face, she put her phone down and moved on.

From the muddy shore and into the grass, she took a few steps when her foot got caught on some uprooted grass. The slimy soil caused her shoes to lose their grip and before she knew it, she struggled to keep her balance. With nothing to hold on to, it was only a matter of time before she would take an unexpected dip.

She closed her eyes and braced herself with a deep breath only to exhale as a sudden force propelled her forward. She didn't know what was happening until she came to a halt and grabbed on to that which broke her fall. When the initial shock ended, she opened her eyes and saw a young handsome man looking back at her. The face of someone that seemed all too familiar to her was now upon her. Perhaps too familiar as she could feel her pupils widening for she could not believe who had rescued her.

 

 

 

 

 

The sounds of birds chirping, students walking around enjoying their weekend, the bright sun above him shining down, it was a beautiful and lively day. Johan smiles as he waves at his peers, asking how they were doing, and spreading courtesy all-around.

As he continued his walk, three empty school buses in the parking lot caught his attention. He didn't mind their existence but it did arouse his curiosity. It wouldn't be long before he got an answer in the form of a large group of teenagers clustered around the few adults giving directions. Teenagers full of life, full of energy, full of hope. Years had passed him since he was among that age group as nostalgic thoughts run through his head. Seeing the crowd of very excited adolescents, he felt it best to take a detour around the corner of a building.

From concrete to grass, he stood on an extensive piece of green pasture. A hill with trimmed grass and a few trees scattered about. One could be fooled to think that they entered a park as the only evidence that betrayed that image was its lack of the necessities to accommodate visitors. No vending machines, water fountains, or benches with tables were present. The presence of this area was nothing more than atmosphere.

He continued his walk and a magnificent view of the pond welcomed him along with its only residents, the local swans. He smiled as he watched them swim carefree feeling like a guest of honor in their home. Indulging at the moment, a sight that many would be thrilled to see was before him. A mother and her cygnets, some who sat on top of her as she swam. A wholesome scene that would melt anyone's heart.

The smile he once had dissipated.

Then an even rarer sight had presented itself. A swan couple who had their beaks touching, their necks arching as their bodies were in close proximity. A heart had formed in front of his very eyes. He gave a chagrined expression before he looked away in complete dissonance. Taking a deep breath, he removed his sight from the pond and continued on as before the distraction, only to find his sight fixated on an occurrence.

Ahead of him near the edge of the pond, he noticed a person about to step on some mud. Realizing that a woman was going to slip and fall, he started running downhill. As predicted, she lost her footing but before she could fall into the water, he arrived in time to grasp her arm and pulled her out with such force that she grabbed onto him, nearly toppling them. Planting his right leg sternly into the ground, he regained his composure, concluding the event a successful rescue.

It soon became apparent that he did not rescue a woman but a young girl, surmising that she was one of the students from the field trip. She looked up at him and as he gazed into the eyes of this young girl, he could not believe who was looking back at him. A stranger held on to him, yet a great familiarity had stricken him. An image he had seen before time after time, never able to escape from it, showed itself in tangible form. It so shook him that the world paused at this very moment as he could not move a muscle.

She eventually pulled herself away from him but remained in the place where she stood. A look of complete fascination that was equally perplexing imprinted on their faces as they were trying to come to terms with who exactly stood right in front of them. A strange aura had emerged that neither could describe yet felt all too familiar. A case of catatonia had struck them, a potent spell that kept them as still as statues forever entranced at the models before them.

Her phone began to ring, breaking the silence and bringing the world back in motion.

With her motor skills returning, the girl responded, “I'm sorry but I have to go,” and took her leave.

He turned his head and watched the young girl run off the grass and into the concrete. Johan turned to the pond to catch the family of swans already leaving his vicinity. He turned back to find the girl had disappeared from his sight. He turned to his hand which trembled as it continued to grasp. He turned inwardly as pleasant yet haunting images appeared before his eyes.

“No,” he uttered to himself. “It can't be.”

2