Chapter 57
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'So much for this,' Lucy thinks to herself as she tosses the blouse on her bed. 'Looks like I'm going to return it to Jenny.'

After putting on casual wear, she grabbed her bag and headed out the door. In the elevator she thought to herself, 'I guess I should be lucky. I feel so bad for yelling at him yesterday that I couldn't sleep. Maybe I was being too pushy. I can't believe I did that. I just want him to be happy, but I guess I ruined everything. I hope he's not too offended, but if I explain everything, I'm sure we'll just makeup and we'll go back to normal. Maybe it'll be a long while before we go out on another date, but I'm fine just being friends with him. I just want to get this over with and go back to how things were.'

After a bus ride to the train station, she waits in the same place as before. As always, Johan arrived punctually a serious look to him.

Lucy took a deep breath as she got up and approaches him. "Thank you for meeting me."

"Hello, Lucy," he replied neutrally.

The atmosphere became stagnant as the vibe she was receiving was tense. "I want to apologize for last time. I'm sorry I got mad. I didn't mean it, I just really, really wanted you to enjoy yourself. I feel so dumb for forcing something you didn't really want. But I promise I'll give you space if you want. I feel I was so selfish now that I think about it. But you know, it's okay, we don't have to go out on dates anymore. We can just be friends, you know. I'm sorry, it was just that I thought we had something going on and that we related so much, that I-"

"Lucy, it's okay. I forgive you."

"You do?"

"Sure. What happened yesterday, it doesn't matter. Nothing in the past matters anyways. Besides, you're still a kid. You're still learning."

Lucy gave a discontent look briefly before replying, "Yeah, I get it. Well, I'm really sorry, and I'm happy you forgave me."

"Sure. Well, I hope you learned your lesson," he turned around and started walking away, something that Lucy wasn't anticipating.

She ran in front of him. "Well, I figured that maybe we can hang out later today, or not, next weekend, in case you need more time?"

"No, Lucy."

"Alright, I get it. You still need more time. But just do me a tiny favor and this time... can you send me a message later today?"

"No."

"Not even that?"

"No, Lucy."

"Johan, I understand that you're mad, but I apologized. I just want to make sure we're still friends."

"That's not happening either."

"What?"

"Lucy, I don't think we should see each other anymore."

"What do you mean?"

"When we went out on our, for a lack of a better term, date, it truly proved something."

"I know. You were uncomfortable. I totally get it. This whole situation between us is weird. That's why I'm saying we don't have to go out on dates anymore. You don't have to force yourself."

"Lucy, I'm referring to you. That date proved that you are having issues and you are using me as some sort of temporary aid."

"What are you talking about?"

"Don't you understand? Didn't you think about this since the outing?"

"Of course, that's why I'm here."

"So did you talk to them?"

"Talk to who? Johan, what are you talking about?"

"Your parents. Did you talk to your parents?"

"My parents? What do they have to do with us?"

"Everything. This whole thing has always been about your parents."

"You don't even know my parents."

"I may not but I know one thing, that a parent should love their children no matter what and never abandon them. Lucy, I don't know what is going on with you and your parents but clearly, this is not healthy. You got to talk to them in a serious manner."

"Why are you bringing them up? They have nothing to do about this."

"Only because you're trying to cope with this situation by using me as a way to deal with it. This is going to sound ridiculous but there were times I kept thinking what's so bad about dating a young teenager, especially one as smart and joyous as yourself." He paused to take a deep breath. "I'll admit that I lost myself within my fantasies at times, but the reality made itself clear on that day. You're still too young to handle mature situations. I now realize that you are using me to cope with your problems, and I'm using you as a way to cope with mine. All we're doing is putting aside our real problems instead of actually dealing with them. That is why we have to part. Lucy, listen to me. You need to seek a psychologist. You need to talk to your parents and get some professional help. I'm just a student so I can barely diagnose the problem but trust me when I tell you that your problems have to be handled by a professional."

Lucy looks on, spellbound, as she replies, "Johan, my parents... they don't care about me."

"No parent should abandon their child."

"But they already did. My mom mostly and my dad doesn't even see me as his daughter."

"That's why you have to be strong and let them know about this. You got to be brave and tell them how you feel and if they don't cooperate, you have to call child services."

"Child services? You mean those people who wanted to talk to my dad?"

Johan gave a look of surprise. "If child services are involved, I have a feeling that you really should look into it."

"I don't want to be taken away. I don't want to be separated from you."

"Lucy, forget about me. I'm telling you; I'm making things worse for both of us. I'm not helping you; I'm making you dependent on me. You're latching on to me and the longer this keeps up, the harder it will be to separate."

"What's wrong with that? My parents will never give me any attention! They haven't all my life!"

"Lucy, calm down and listen to me. You have to do what's right, just as I do. I can't be with you. Please understand that this is wrong. What we're doing is destructive. It's going to lead us into despair in the end."

"And how is turning me away going to help me? I have to go where my mom goes so I can't have any friends, and both my parents have never given me any kind of affection. You're the only one, the only one who understood me! I was ready to fight for you, Johan. I was ready to forget my parents and be with you. Because... because I love you."

As if the world itself had frozen, Johan too was struck with catatonia, but this tundra of emotions soon gave way to the heat of the moment as Johan briefly shook his head. "I know, Lucy, but you have to forget about me now. I know you feel that us being together is the answer to your problems, but only because you feel you have no choice. But you do have a choice, and you have to make the right one. You got to talk to your parents, have a serious talk, and if things get worse, you got to get out and find shelter somewhere else. If you don't have any family to turn to, then you have to speak to the authorities about it. Trust me, I know this isn't easy, but you have to do this. Otherwise... if you keep clinging to me, we'll just end up in big trouble." With all that said, he turned around and began walking way.

"The dream!" Lucy's said loudly, causing him to stop. "What about our dream? The dream of couple? They've been wanting to be together for centuries, remember? We swore to be together at last in the afterlife! When we got reincarnated, we were supposed to finally be together and be happy!"

He turned his head slightly, "That's just a dream, Lucy. Dreams don't mean anything," and continued walking forward. The sound of Lucy sobbing along with the sound of footsteps fading away into the distance was the last he heard of her.

Walking down to the parking lot, Johan got inside his car, closed the door, and after a few seconds of just sitting there, tears begin rolling down his cheeks as he lowered his head onto the steering wheel.

“Hey, Johan,” Margaret said after answering the call.

“So tell me, Margaret.”

“Tell you what?”

“Where do I pick you up this Saturday?” He said with confidence.

0