Chapter 3: “A test.”
8 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
After a night in the infirmary, I find myself at the front desk gathering what's left of my uniform. The pants are shredded beyond recognition. Fortunately, Anya has grabbed me an extra change of clothes.
 
“Is that everything?” The nurse refuses to make eye contact, only staring into her patient sheets.
 
“Yes, thank you for your care.” I dip my head into a small bow.
 
“Good. The general wants to see you in the admin office as soon as possible.” She rolls the sheet back up and picks up another. A sigh escapes her mouth. Her expression shows disdain for the position she holds.
 
“I’m sorry, does he want me to go to the barrie—“An even louder sigh cut me off.
 
“No, his office. Please leave mine.” She ends the sentence by waving me out the door.
 
I grab my belongings and walk towards the exit. Each step brings me closer to my new destiny. ‘Someone finally sees my potential.’ I thought.
 
The village streets were hectic today. Rumors of an attack on a smaller village to the north sweep through the area. Whispers of war to come. Ninjas with grim expressions rushing to report to their commanders. The anxiety is so overwhelming it tastes like blood in my mouth.
 
I hurry up the hill to the main barracks. The nurses did well to make my body feel like new again. It is weird no longer having that seal. The constant tingling used to remind me of what I was working towards, and in the end, it achieved what I wanted. Minus the infirmary part.
 
Chills run up my spine. I feel as if I’m being watched by someone. I can feel their eyes stabbing daggers into my back, so I turn to look. Just beyond my peripheral, a shadow dances across the rooftops.
 
“Dani, what's the matter?” Anya catches up with me, her face is wearing her usual worried expression. She always was a sisterly figure to me. “You look like you’ve seen a ghost.”
 
“I’m alright, I just sensed someone following me.” The sensation has dissipated now that someone friendly was around.
 
“You’re being paranoid, which could be a side effect of all the healing elixirs.” We both barrel over laughing. Her laughter subsides and she begins to look distant again. “How did you manage it? Fighting to earn your place as a ninja?” Her deep blue eyes were swallowed up by a wave of thought.
 
“Because I was tired of everyone saying I couldn’t.” The answer is simple and true. “I was born to a clan I will never know.” I pause for a second and memories of village members mocking me are vivid in my mind. “I had no choice but to forge my own honor.”
 
My answer summons a silence between us. The awkwardness hangs over our walk to the admin office, but a few minutes later she clears her throat. “Dani.” Anya’s wavering voice breaks the tension. “Please stay out of trouble while on your new assignment.”
 
I smirk. “I can’t make that promise, but I won't be looking for trouble this time. Okay!”
 
Anya scowls at me and tenses up. “I wanna hit you right now.”
 
“Oh come on—“ My words were cut short by Anya suddenly tackling me. A loud explosion appears where I was once standing, sending dust everywhere. People around us began to panic.
 
“What's happening…” and “Clan dispute.” Are the panicked explanations being murmured around us. I am just as clueless as they are.
 
On the rooftop to our right stands a ninja wearing a black cloak and a crying fox mask. “Fox mask?” I wonder aloud. That is the mask worn by the Special operations forces. They are the best of the best. When it comes to any mission that requires more finesse they succeed.
 
As soon as I blink he vanishes. “Where did he go?” His presence disappeared with him.
 
“Your reflexes are unimpressive.” The stranger got behind me without me noticing.
 
“Oh yeah try this.” With all my might I build momentum in my hips. Twisting like a coiling dragon I strike with a high kick, but it was just short of hitting them. “Damn.” I mutter under my breath.
 
“So is your awareness.” Their words are cold and they nip at my pride. “Lots of power behind your strike, but a beast without awareness will find themselves running off the cliff.”
 
I bite into my lip to hold myself back. This is clearly a test and I aim to pass it. “I am honored to be tested by a ninja with such prowess.” I relax into a respectful bow. “I sincerely and graciously accept your wisdom.” Anya stares daggers at me.
 
“Kissing the ground, your senior walks only leads to mediocrity.” All previous sense of composure slips away from me.
 
“Dani, keep your cool.” Anya whispers obvious advice to me.
 
This ninja, no matter how skilled, is trampling over my honor. My blood boils with anger as his words echo in my soul. Just as his movements were skilled and deliberate, so too were his insults. “I respectfully ask to go on my way Senior.” As much as I want to pound him into the dirt, getting myself killed right now wouldn’t be the destiny I envision.
 
I turn around and continue on my walk to the office without regard for their reply. Their presence vanishing lifts the weight off my shoulders. I glance back and see Anya standing there. “We are gonna be late, Anya.”
 
“Coming.” She grunts through clenched teeth.
 
A silence appears between us again as we make the final approach to the outer walls of the barracks. Paper seals dot the sides of those walls as far as the eye can see. A faint hum vibrates my soul as I pass through the gates. “I’ve always wanted to come up here.” The earlier skirmish and harsh words clear from my mind.
 
“Your journey has just begun, ninja.” Anya says with a goofy voice, obviously mocking the earlier speech that I was ambushed with.
 
“Thank you for your wise words senior.” Our laughter echoes through the courtyard.


Thanks for reading! Come check out my writing and reader community here!

 

2