Chapter 1 – Wings to fly, Light to find
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I opened my eyes when I heard a loud cheer from a crowd. Suddenly, I am standing on the side of what seemed to be a court for a tournament.

A little confused, I look around and find that there are two groups of girls playing and passing balls.

"Girls volleyball is really amazing, right?

"Yes, look at that frail girl, she looks small and weak but she is rocking this game so well." said a guy on the bench side and he pointed out the center of the court.

I look at the spot where the guy is pointing, and I see a small and petite girl jumping high, her right arm raised and ready to hit the ball coming her way, not once fearing the human wall in front of her. I do not know why, but while looking at her, everything is in slow motion. It is like the whole place is focusing only on her, and everything else is just a blur.

Her jump is so high, it feels like she grew a pair of wings.

Astounded, I couldn't help but clap and cheer along with the others as she successfully spiked the ball at the opponent's territory. The whole court is in chaos, it turns out they have successfully won this tournament.

Her teammates each gave her a high five before they all gathered up in a circle form, however, in the middle of it, she suddenly looked my way.

She tilted her head, and pointed out her index finger to me, her lips mouthing: "You're next"

Do I know her? Where am I? Why does she look so familiar?

I am stunned silly, and can no longer comprehend what is happening. The next thing I know is I found myself surrounded by water.

I died, right? I know I drowned. But why can I still see things? Is this the pathway to the afterlife? Do I need to sink even further?

Suddenly, I feel a movement behind me. I turn around and find a woman swimming towards me. I scream in shock and instead swallow the salty water. I swam backwards to get away from the woman but she held my hand. I stop struggling and force myself to look at her face more clearly.

I recognized her as the woman playing earlier in the tournament, the one who jumped really high.

She holds her hand out, like asking for a high five, I look at her questioningly at first, but I still put my hand together with her. Just like that, her life flashed before my eyes. Her successes, her previous struggles, her goals, and her friends and family who adores her.

All of it, I took in. I realize how different the path we both took. Mine was solely chasing over other people's shadow, while hers was all about finding her own light

Even underwater, I feel my eyes tearing up.

She suddenly caresses my face so gently, and even though it seems impossible, I heard all her words to me very clearly.

"Find your own light, whatever it takes."

How? Where do I even start?

All I have ever known was the shadow casted to me by my own family. How do I even get away from that?

In this world...

Something. Someone. Somewhere.

There should at least be one reason why I was born, right? Everyone should at least have one source of light, right?

The girl gave me a kind smile seeing my confused state.

"Amary, light is something we all need, however, it is also something you let through in your life, or something you create for yourself. No matter what, keep your head held high and live your life. Set your heart aflame, no matter how heartbroken you are by your own weakness or helplessness. You clench your teeth and stare straight ahead. Keep moving forward. Only then you will know, that the world is an open space with the sky being limitless. The moment you hid in the shadows, you made yourself blind to your own light."

I'm not sure how to take her words for, but my eyes hurt from crying.

She gave me a one final hug, and whispered in my ears,

"Amary... grow a pair of wings, and fly."

1