Prologue: A trip to the land of death
291 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wake up; feeling surprisingly energetic, far more than my thirty four year old body could ever provide. I can only assume it being due to me sleeping on the white floor, but... Where the hell am I? I can only think when I stand up.

Around me is a white marbled room, completely square in shape, with no source of light to be seen, yet, I can see worryingly well in here. In the middle of the room lies a starcase up to podium decorated in a patterned circle, with it helpfully showing foot markings in the middle.

I assume I should walk up into the middle of the podium, feeling some force guide me while being blissfully unaware at my instinctive actions.

『Welcome [Reincarnator]. Congratulations on completing your first life with this title.』

Wait, I'm dead? Oh, OH, now I remember, did I really die from a dumb fall? Seriously? And what is this, reincarnation? isn't that like being born again after death? In my stunned daze, my memories finally come to me...

...I was about to record a song, which should have been my magnum opus, were it not for my untimely death, walking to the producer after placing my electric guitar on the table beside me, I had forgotten to unplug it and unceremoniously tripped, my head spiking the edge of the metal table, which would not have killed me, were it not for the hard concrete floor beneath me, dealing the finishing blow, causing me to black out.

『Title unlocked: [ill prepared arrogance]』A blue screen appears in front of me, startling me slightly.

Title? Like the [Reincarnator] thing? what is it?

[Title: ill prepared arrogance.]: After arrogantly declaring that you will create something which people will remember you by, you fail miserably due to the lack of talent and skill to do so.
Effect: For the next two lives, you will be 30% slower at using your brain when creating, observing or practicing art.

"WHAT?!?!? Why would you give me that??? Lacking talent and skill? I've been writing music for twenty years! I have over five hundred thousand daily listeners on my spotify. isn't music subjective? Why are you judge it then? what are you, god?"

I hear no reply, but instinctively I seem to know that it is just a tool of god, with no mind to it, so there's no use complaining. After a couple minutes, which I assume is the tool being considerate towards me by letting my mind comprehend my chaotic situation, it finally speaks.

『Calculating this life's worth...』

『You lived for 301380 hours. Awarded 20 points.

You reached beginner level in two instruments, the guitar and the voice. Awarded 8 points.

You reached intermediate level of understanding in English. Awarded 14 points.

You failed at learning anything in Spanish even after more than 10 years of education in it. Retracted 25 points.
me no hablo español

You reached beginner level of understanding in mathematics. Awarded 4 points.

You reached sub-beginner level of understanding in applied mathematics. Awarded 1 point

You reached sub-beginner level of understanding in physics. Awarded 1 point.

You reached sub-beginner level of understanding in biology. Awarded 1 point.

You reached beginner level of understanding in pop music. Awarded 4 points.

You became a permanent professional musician. Awarded 5 points.

You killed a member of a sapient species. Awarded 1 point. What

It says I killed a member of a sapient species, but I have never killed anyone! So it is incredibly strange... Oh! I know! ...It must be when the doctor allowed me to disconnect my father's life support! ...Thanks dad, wherever you are, unless you're... a [Reincarnator] aswell.

Total points earned this life: 34

Your grade for this life is: F

For obtaining a grade of F, you gain no bonuses.

For obtaining a grade of F, you have received a Strike.

If you obtain three Strikes, you will no longer be reincarnated!

You have Beginner’s Protection; one Strike removed!

Your Beginner’s Protection will last: three more lives.』

Well... that's alot to take in. It is a little disheartening spending so much time learning music only for it to deem me a beginner, though it is surprising that I managed to become intermediate in english, and to earn so many points, considering I'll be reincarnated again, it seems like a difficult, but efficient way of earning points, wait no, now that I think about it, it took me 34 years only for me to get an intermediate rank in English, there's no way that's efficient.

It's quite scary that I will die permanently if I do not earn enough points, but when you think about it; it's not like it's any different from when I didn't know I was a [Reincarnator].

"Hey God-Tool thingy, what do I need to avoid getting a strike?" not really certain whether I get a reply, I wait for 10 seconds, and just as I was getting disheartened, the Tool replies.

『You'll need to obtain the rank of A.』

"And how will I get A rank?" once again I wait for this turtle-like tool, until it finally answers.

『To obtain the rank of A you will need to earn a total of 15000 points and have a significant enough achievement from the world you walked on in the prior life.』

My heart felt like it was about to cramp, and kill me in the reincarnation chamber when I heard those words.

"Fifteen thousand???? I can barely get thirty!"

After punching the ground and complaining for about five minutes, I ask another question.

"How do I remove a strike?"

『Achieving the highest rank of S+, by having accumulated 250000 or more points in your life and performing a legendary feat, it is possible.』so it's impossible.

The Tool speaks.

『You have completed 22 General Achievements this life! You have obtained 70 Bonus Points!』

[You have completed the general achievement: "Death: Sub-Beginner" for dying! Awarded 1 point. and you have Unlocked additional options in the Extensive tab]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Instruments: Sub-Beginner" for learning an instrument! Awarded 1 point, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Extensive tab]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Music: Sub-Beginner" for learning the basics of music! Awarded 1 point, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Arts tab]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Joy in life: Beginner" for bringing happiness to over a hundred thousand people! Awarded 4 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Magic and Communications tab]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Gloom in life: Beginner" for bringing sadness to over a hundred thousand people! Awarded 4 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Magic and Communications tab]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Etiquette: Sub-Beginner" for learning the basics of human etiquette! Awarded 1 point. and you have Unlocked additional options in the Communications tab]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Hand-to-Hand combatant: Sub-Beginner" for Beating someone in a fist fight. Awarded 1 point, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Combat tab]

I remember that, was at a bar with my Berklee friends, and some drunk asshole started shouting at me for stealing his girl or something, even though I have no clue who he was talking about, so he took it outside, but was too drunk to even fight back against me, who had never fought before.

[You have completed the general achievement: "Murderer: Sub-Beginner" for killing a member of a sapient species. Awarded 1 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Combat tab]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Literarily Educated: Beginner" For reading and studying over 50 educational books of atleast medium length to completion. Awarded 4 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Intelligence tab]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Basic math: Advanced" for learning the groundwork of mathematics to an advanced degree! Awarded 64 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Intelligence tab.] Woah.

[You have completed the general achievement: "True math: Beginner" For learning the basics of many advanced mathematical sub-subjects, such as Algebra, trigonometry, Etc. Awarded 4 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Intelligence tab.]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Languages: Sub-Beginner" for learning a language for the first time! Awarded 1 point, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Communications tab.]

[You have completed the general achievement: "Marketing: Sub-Beginner" you have learnt the very basics of marketing products or ideas towards the public. Awarded 1 point and you have Unlocked additional options in the Communications tab] Guess my days at Berklee weren't completely useless.

[You have completed the general achievement: "First job: Beginner" For having worked for over 50 companies/individuals! Awarded 4 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Intelligence and Communications tab.]
I guess freelance work counts as having multiple jobs, huh.

『You have completed 5 Special Achievements this life! You have obtained 25 Bonus Points!』

[You have completed the special achievement: "Childhood trauma: D" You caused your friend to experience trauma that will haunt him for the rest of his life when he was younger. Awarded 100 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Communications tab.]

Wow... I assume special achievements are personal occurances, and I guess this is from when I convinced my friend Paul to jump over the climb over the river with me on a shaky log when we were 8. causing him to be swept up and nearly drowning, I never knew it affected him so much, especially so since he move away 3 years later.

[You have completed the special achievement: "Leech: F" You lived with your parent/s for 27 years, causing them great distress. Awarded 5 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Communications tab.]

Hey! it's difficult making a living in modern society, especially when working as a musician, or as you would call it, beginner musician, ugh, and I payed my parents back anyways so this isn't even that true!

[You have completed the special achievement: "Financially stupid: E" You try to pay off a self made debt to your parents, but due to your early death it is left unpaid for the rest of their lives. Awarded 25 points, and unlocked additional options in the Intelligence tab.]

[You have completed the special achievement: "Mass appeal: D" You managed to get more than a million people to listen to your god-awful music. Awarded 100 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Arts tab]

God-awful??!??? HEY! I thought a tool was meant to be without faults, yet here you are placing objectivity on music! Asshole.

[You have completed the special achievement: "Infantile survival: D" For surviving near death as an infant. Awarded 100 points, and you have Unlocked additional options in the Vitals tab]

That must be from when I contracted pneumonia? I think, when I was 8 months old, probably worried my mother to death with that, I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed to the latter part of [leech].

『You have completed 0 Exceptional Achievements, 0 points are awarded.』

『Recalculating point total...』

『New total points earned this life: [551].

You are eligible for the Rank of D, you shall be promoted.

For Earning the rank of D you shall recieve 100 bonus points.』

So I have 651 points, incredible how it is leagues better than my initial point total, though I fear I may not be able to rely on achievements so much in later lives...

『Do you wish to open the points shop?』The Tool finally speaks.

"Yes, please." I answer.

 

14