Chapter 6: Consequences
69 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Took a small break, sorry for the lack of chapter uploads :P

Content warning: use of R slur within chapter.

Here's a small reminder sheet of names and plot points for those returning:

Spoiler

Simile: mc            
Emilis: brother          
Ismile: sister           
Mislei: mother          
Maid: Amor
[Baron] Amir Garner: father
[Marquis] Stefan Dane
[Marchioness] Gertrude Dane
Marquis's son: Sebastian Dane
Sebastian's butler: Roma

Plot summary:
 Evolution celebration is being held 5 days after their waking up, it's being held at [Marquis] Stefan's mansion. Simile recently had a scandal of theft the year before where she goaded Sebastian, one of the marquis's children to help steal food from other kittens. 

[collapse]

[Baron] Amir Garner's POV

"Welcome everyone, to the Danes' 124th Celebration of the Greater youth!" Speaks the [Marquis].

Stefan has a charming prescence, is quite intelligent, and doesn't hold many family grudges, he is thus quite liked by the nobility despite his enviable position. I personally have not much to say against him.

"I stand here to thank you for honouring this tradition and spreading wisdom through the commandments of our Lord. I must thank my wife for doing such heavy work in preparing this celebration and the honourable Rameau Psunder for serving today as a [Royal Analyst]."

Except this, his needless involvement of his wife. From what I've heard, he seems to spend an unorthodox amount of time in scholarly study, thus he allows his wife has far more power over his territory. He would have no time to sleep if he did not, which I do understand, but he seems to have reversed the already established tasks between leader and spouse.

"I also bring attention to the entrance of fine performers of the capitol and the talented children of the families stood here..."

He continues before leaving to give room on the stage for the entertainment, with the butlers bringing in standard food on the tables. While I enjoy the food, I personally find not much purpose in these art shows other than to have each other's children compete for superiority through vanity. It sets the atmosphere atleast, but I'd prefer to come home to my territory at the soonest.

Finally, the unentertaining entertainment finishes and the [Marquis] ushers the first child in. The child walks up on the stage, the [Royal Analyst] provididing us, the audience with a view of its poor-borne status. That specific child is of the Ester family, a failing Barony, of which this child, Grant, is the first of four to arrive on stage.

"The Esters have three lesser children" My wife states.

"Huh?" Her spoiler catches me by surprise, but, "I supposed that's the fate of such a family" I answer, leading her on.

"An expected disappointment for sure, they should have rid of them earlier than prayed for the impossible." She finishes.

Typical of a family of their status. Instead of respecting Esmius, they pray their children are somehow special. I would not say that we are lucky that none of our children stayed Lesser, as we were prepared enough to avoid that. However, the scare with Simile raised my doubts towards our preparation; I had made certain that such a case would not happen for obvious reasons, even if it costed me my personal time, yet it still did.

Simile is a child I want to wish the best for, but am having trouble to do so. While she may have an abnormal intelligence value, and high speed at learning, the former seems to be merely a flat number value without benefits and the latter seems like an early quirk. Along with her lack of generic ability in magic arts, she also seems be very irrational and unintelligent when it comes to basic decisions, thus, I cannot hope for much.

When compared to her siblings, she is a prodigy, I had many expectations when I saw hear learning capability... but she's not a genius. I find her sister Ismile to be much more receptive of the values of the Lord, and while speaking of the devil, she walks on stage upon the exit of Grant.

She strides with confidence, taking each step just as she had been taught beforehand. Wearing her violet dress and looking towards the crowd, she waits for the [Royal Analyst] to perform his skill.

Name: Ismile Garner
Age: 3
Race: (Bipedal Rashmere Panther - Child{D})
Class: None.
Level: 1 (Experience: 0/25)

Stats:

HP: 66/66
MP: 183/183

Strength: 23 (+1)
Agility: 32 (+2)
Endurance: 23 (+1)
Dexterity: 45 (7)
Vitality: 18 (+3)
Intelligence: 45 (8)(+4){10}
Wisdom: 36 (10)(+3)
Perception: 30
Charisma: 27 (3)(+2)
{Free Points}: 1

Skills:

[Scratch: Level 9] [Bite: Level 4] [Rashmeric Language: Level 2] [Languages: Level 1] [Stealth(Racial): Level 6] [Running: Level 7] [Swimming: level 6] [Leaping: level 2] [Observe: Level 12] [Disease resistance: Level 3] [Fear resistance: level 2] [Tracking: level 4] [Poison Smell: Level 3] [Smell: level 8] [Charge: Level 11] [Dodge: Level 2] [Reading: Level 1] [Physical Play: level 7] [Noble Prescence: level 1]

Abilities:

[Analyze: Level 1] [Tackle: Level 1]

She speaks: "I thank the grathious god of knowledge Esmius, for allowing mythelf and my peews to advance towardth a more civilithed species" Rehearsing the script she so religiously learned before this ceremony, making specially sure she doesn't misinterpret the Lord's name.

While she certainly didn't speak perfectly, you cannot expect so much from a newborn Greater. She now stands there waiting for people to judge her, as her professionally analyzed statistics are on full display.

"Her birth bonuses are quite impressive" Mislei says.

"Indeed, but nothing groundbreaking." I answer.

"Sure, but it's far better than average, no need to be so pessimistic."

"Sure, sure." I waive off her criticism.

It's not like statistics matter that much at such an age.

 

Simile Garner's POV

 

It's strange. This event is what I presume to be a celebration, yet after the performers left, I hear almost no sound from the stage except when Ismile and the other boy spoke. I feel less like I am going to perform and more like I am going to a mock exam.

"Simile Garner, walk on stage." The [Marquis] tells me, right as Ismile walks off stage.

"Ismile, how'd it go?" I ask, but before she could respond;

"Simile, now." Stefan asserts. scary.

I stride towards the stairs to the stage in practiced steps, making sure I don't trip in this foreign body; a far too common occurrance, and that I don't step on my gold dress. The brightly lit room I could only see from a distance finally comes into view, a large hall with dozens of tables sporting food and accomodating hundreds of foreign cats.

The walls and windows of the hall were strangely undecorated. While that isn't much different from our estate, I would assume a higher noble would have something more lavish and pleasing to the eye, instead of yellow walls and white window sills. There is an uncomfortable prescence in the room, other than the dark fur that hides the attendees' expressions from afar, and the entire room being completely lit, what struck me the most was the smell.

While it isn't a bad smell, it is so strong and so varied between hundreds of people and dozens of foods, that, despite my mom advising me not to, I couldn't help but cover my nose. Continuing towards the center of the stage, I force my hands off the assaulted body part, and stand there, in silence.

The [Royal Analyst] does his trick and brings up what I can assume to be my status, which I cannot read. I now must stand here in complete silence while every person in the room silently stares at and judges me. The smell is even more pronounced now as it truly brings up the scale of the audience.

Despite my past as a performer, by no means was I ever this aware of how many were watching me. The only times I can remember was at the start of my career when I hadn't learned to ignore the crowd.

Breaking the silence, I speak the script I've been practicing so much. "I t-thank the gracious god of k-knowledge Esmius, for allowing myself and my p-p-peers to advance towards a more civilized species" While I didn't mess up a single word, I am still disappointed I stuttered so much and display such an obvious remnant of my English accent.

Hearing the murmur of the crowd definitely did not improve my confidence and I honestly want to leave the stage as soon as possible. Finally it stops and I turn to leave, trying to move my shaky feet off the stage, however, at only halfway towards the exit, I trip.

Oh god... not now, not while on stage, I'm not a child. I can't cry.

 

[Lady] Misley Garner's POV

 

I stare in disbelief as my daughter cries herself off the stage. I had heard stories from Amir about her emotional instability, along with personally witnessing her crying immediately after evolution. After becoming a greater all that seems to have happened is that she became more of a lesser. However, her status definitely contradicts that.

Name: Simile Garner
Age: 3
Race: (Bipedal Rashmere Panther - Child{D})
Class: None.
Level: 1 (Experience: 0/25)

Stats:

HP: 55/55
MP: 225/225

Strength: 27 {5}
Agility: 32 (+2)
Endurance: 23 (+1)
Dexterity: 46 (7) (+1)
Vitality: 15
Intelligence: 54 (8)(+23)
Wisdom: 39 (10)(+1){5}
Perception: 32 (+2)
Charisma: 28 (3)(+3)
{Free Points}: 1

Skills:

[Scratch: Level 10] [Bite: Level 2] [Rashmeric Language: Level 6] [Languages: Level 1] [Stealth(Racial): Level 11] [Sprinting: Level 1]
[Swimming: level 3] [Jumping: level 5] [Observe: level 7] [Disease resistance: Level 3] [Mana poisoning resistance: Level 3]
[Fear resistance: level 4] [Tracking: level 1] [Poison Smell: Level 1] [Acting: Level 3] [Charge: Level 5] [Dodge: Level 3]
[Reading: Level 3] [Stealing: Level: 1]

Abilities:

[Hide Prescence(Racial): Level 1]

Despite lacking a blessing from Esmius, she managed to have 23 points in intelligence from birth. It's certainly an impressive feat that is surely not topped in the next decade or so within this territory. What I assume is thanks to that, she also managed to evolve her stealth skill early.

"Gertrude's not going to like this" Amir states.

"It's not like she likes anything." I reply.

"Yeah, but you know how much she complains about Simile's short influence on Sebastian."

"It's not like it's life threatening, at worst he'll get the [Stealing] skill too. Let the kids have their fun."

"Yeah, but he is a Lor-"

I shoot him an annoyed glare for his continued complaining. He tends to make things out to seem worse than they actually are, and it gets on my nerves too often. I look towards the stage for a view of Emilis walking in, wearing his decorated blue tunic and gold chained shorts glued to his knees, all clothing I carefully picked out. While he certainly doesn't show the nervousness of Simile, he definitiely is not as well balanced as Ismile, looking as if he hadn't practiced his walking at all.

Name: Emilis Garner
Age: 3
Race: (Bipedal Rashmere Panther - Child{D})
Class: None.
Level: 1 (Experience: 3/25)

Stats:

HP: 62/62
MP: 176/176

Strength: 23 (+1)
Agility: 30
Endurance: 22
Dexterity: 45 (7)
Vitality: 17 (+2)
Intelligence: 41 (8){10}
Wisdom: 43 (10)(+10)
Perception: 29 (-1)
Charisma: 29 (+4) (3)
{Free Points}: 1

Skills:

[Claw: Level 2] [Bite: Level 1] [Rashmeric Language: Level 1] [Languages: Level 1] [Stealth(Racial): Level 9] [Sprinting: Level 3] [Swimming: Level 4] [Leaping: Level 1] [Observe: Level 11] [Disease resistance: Level 3] [Fear resistance: Level 5] [Tracking: level 9] [Poison Smell: Level 4] [Smell: Level 11] [Charge: Level 12] [Dodge: Level 5] [Physical Play: level 2]

Abilities:

[Analyze: Level 1] [Tackle: Level 1] [Dual Nose: Level 1]

The [Royal Analyst] displays Emilis's status. Each statistic is honestly what I suspected, his skills are quite high for his age, and his bonuses are very concentrated on two stats, the most important for a ruler, Wisdom and Charisma. My Emilis stands to become a good candidate for inheritence, as his important stats greatly outclass his father's.

"I thank the gracious god of knowledge Esmius, for allowing myself and my uh peers to advance towards a more civilized species" Emilis performs the script that we're undoubtable going to hear atleast a dozen more times today.

"Barely any mistakes, don't you think he'd be a great public speaker?" I ask Amir.

"I doubt he'd remember his lines, considering his lack of any bonus in intelligence." He answers pessimistically.

"Don't be like that, you of all people should know intelligence can't be completed without wisdom, and he has more than enough of that."

I continue, "Also, he has great charisma and an impressive number of skills, you can't pretend only one status exists, especially considering how much you praise Ismile."

He turns to ignore me and scan the room, before returning to Emilis's status. I swear he's always like this, so close minded in speaking, while being completely ignorant to how inconsistent his actual views are to those he spouts. Honestly, I can't believe my father chose this man over the Sairus kid.

As we're talking, in comes the next child, and the next and the next. That is the nature of this annual tradition of licking each other's furs and pretending to be friends in the eyes of our Lord.

 

-----

 

It's been about 3 hours now, and finally arrives the final child. The Danes chose to use their influence to make it so that their children seem more special, being positioned at the end of the ceremony. I doubt it works on anyone, as there have been a few stand outs this ceremony.

There was one child, of the Baldur family which had 32 bonus stats in total, with 12 in strength as his top stat. Though, there was another with -2 bonus stats, however, it is excusable for a commoner, lacking the necessary genes. Currently, Simile is tied for the top. as she has 32 stats aswell, with such a large percentage in intelligence.

The final child, Sebastian finally walks on stage, with peculiar grey streaks across his fur, or, atleast the visible head on his body, with the rest tastefully covered in luxurious clothing. While the [Royal Analyst] uses his ability, I can't help but notice how carefully the child is analyzing the crowd, as if he knows exactly what to look for in people.

Name: Sebastian Dane
Age: 3.7
Race: (Kleptoparasitic Bipedal Rashmere Panther - Child{C})
Class: None.
Level: 6 (Experience: 237/525)

Stats:

HP: 61/61
MP: 173/189

Strength: 27 (+2)
Agility: 37 (1)
Endurance: 27 (+4)
Dexterity: 71 (5) (+1) {+20}
Vitality: 16 (+1)
Intelligence: 46 (8){14}(+4)
Wisdom: 37 (10)
Perception: 36 (6) (+2)
Charisma: 33 (+7)
{Free Points}: 0

Skills:

[Scratch: Level 7] [Bite: Level 8] [Rashmeric Language: Level 12] [Languages: Level 2] [Stealth(Racial): Level 16] [Sprinting: Level 3]
[Swimming: level 2] [Leaping: level 9] [Observe: level 14] [Disease resistance: Level 8] [Mana poisoning resistance: Level 4]
[Fear resistance: level 6] [Tracking: level 12] [Poison Smell: Level 3] [Charge: Level 3] [Dodge: Level 7]
[Reading: Level 9] [Stealing: Level: 13] [Track food(Racial): Level 3]

Abilities:

[Hide Prescence(Racial): Level 7] [Analyze: Level 2] [Distract Target(Racial): Level 2] [Distinguish Valuables: Level 3]

Blessings:

[Blessing of Sindra]

A loud gasp would have been heard from the audience, if it were not for the [Marquis] shouting "WHAAAT" backstage, pretending that he somehow didn't see this coming? I had assumed the grey stripes were a costuming descision, but apparently not, as the child is blessed by Sindra of all the heretic gods, and sports a tasteless combination of a poor man's and a noble man's evolution.

I send a sharp theoretical glare at the hint of scent I can get off Simile, as only god knows what she's done.

 

Simile Garner's POV:

 

"A birth defect from the males in your family? How could I ever have believed that???" The [Marquis] loudly whispers at his wife.

"..."

"Are you not going to answer? Why?" He pushes.

"You would have done the same as you did to Urith." She answers dejectedly.

"I what? Are you seriously still hung up about that r̷̝͑e̷̫̿ẗ̶͕a̶͈̋r̶̪̉ḓ̶͗?"

"..."

I try to walk away from their conversation, past the children waiting for this celebration to be over, but I am stopped by a loud voice.

"Hey, don't try to scurry out of this, child!" It's the [Marquess]. "If you're going to blame anyone blame this child, they are the one to teach him that ridiculous behaviour!" She ultimately shouts at the end of that sentence.

"And who had every opportunity in the world in this past year to correct that behaviour?" Stefan says with a sigh.

"..."

I genuinely have no idea what to do, I may have been responsible for something but it's hard to decide on an action when I have no clue what that something is.

"Mama!" Sebastian shouts excitedly treading down the stairs to the stage.

Finally, I notice the "birth defect" they were mentioning. Sebastian seems to have grey stripes lining his head, hands, and what little is seen of his feet. Considering Stefan is hinting that it's a lie, I can only really guess what caused it, and none of those guesses feel accurate, as I barely know the kid in question.

"You have to go up on stage now, you've already made the guests wait too long." Gertrude tells her now-miserable husband.

They seperate, with Gertrude now dejectedly gathering the children as the "celebration" has finished. Of course I follow in line, as I feel like no matter what direction I'm going, I'm in deep shit.

 

4