Chapter 17
10 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hello! Hello! What do you mean? 

 

Jade looked at the message again. She had been left to dry. I’m going to kill him. She paced around, trying her best to think through everything. He’s so going to die again, but I can’t risk joining him. If Riverman catches me, I’m done for. 

Jade’s hands flexed and shook with frustration. That good for nothing idiot! Does he just expect me to wait around and do nothing?!? She punched her thighs and pursed her lips. Ok, ok, think… Jade relaxed her shoulders and rolled them around. Then, she started pacing again, this time making sure to stay as calm as possible. Vantage. I need a vantage point. 

Jade opened up her messages, scrolled through a few tabs, then found the one she was looking for. Obadiah had sent her a list of some of the contacts he had in St. Louis. She scanned the list and found what she needed– an arms dealer. 

Jade had been close to where Alexander had died. After all, she was expecting him to have some sort of plan, or to even ask for some help. But no, he didn’t. So she rushed forward, jogging towards the city again. 

Through a series of trails, small boat rides, alley ways, and sewer tunnels, Jade was able to worm her way into the city again. She was getting used to the landscape, and her past experience with living in big cities was a huge advantage. Not only that, but St. Louis was as dark as pitch at night. The city had a strict curfew, and there were few lights that dotted the streets. And it wasn’t like most guards had equipment to handle stealth gear. So, through the shadows and darkness, Jade slithered through the city, eventually finding herself at a Korean restaurant named Hangbokhan Dwaeji.

It was a small restaurant, with a max capacity of around twenty from Jade’s estimates. And while it was hard to discern anything specific, her night-vision allowed her to get a good enough view inside. There was nothing, or at least, there was no activity. 

Still, she was determined to get what she needed, and quickly at that. Jade withdrew from the front, walked around the side, and found herself at the back entrance. It was in a damp and musty alley-way, and thankfully no one was around. She checked, regardless, and when she deemed it safe enough, she got to work. 

Jade, thanking herself endlessly for bringing her lock-picking kit. With little effort, she persuaded the lock and the back door swung open– still no activity. 

She went in and cautiously walked around. The tables were put up, the dishes were racked, and the shelves were stocked. But while looking through the cabinets full of spices, a light suddenly shone through the kitchen. 

“Hello? I know someone is there, show yourself.” A man spoke up, a flashlight in their hands. 

“Yeah, I’m here to meet a Mr. Sung. I’m a friend of Obadiah.” Jade said while putting her hands in the air, her stealth deactivating. 

The man walked over and shined his flashlight right at Jade, which momentarily blinded her. 

“I can tell Obadiah sent you.” The man turned off the flashlight and sighed. “No one else would so brazenly break into my restaurant.” 

“Sorry about that; I’m in a bit of a rush.” Jade slowly lowered her hands. 

“Whatever. That’s what they always say.” The man palmed his hands, and suddenly a dim red light emanated throughout the restaurant. “I am Mr. Sung. What do you need at this ungodly hour?” 

“What anyone would need at this ungodly hour– a sniper-rifle.” Mr. Sung scratched his chin, shrugged, then motioned for Jade to follow him. 

 

Mr Sung was an inconspicuous man. He was aged, with gray being the prominent color in his short hair and scruffy beard. He had a bit of a hunch, and he walked around with a cane. But upon closer inspection, Jade realized that the cane was actually a weapon in disguise. She wondered about his lifestyle, of owning a restaurant and a weapons store. Still, Obadiah vouched for him, so she went along with him into the freezer. He then moved a few boxes of lettuce, then flipped a well-hidden latch. A secret door creaked open, and they went down into the basement. 

When they got down there, Jade only saw a blank room of stainless steel. But then Mr. Sung palmed his hands again, and suddenly every inch of the place was covered in weapons. 

“What can I get for you?” 

“I need something accurate, with range, and a decent amount of fire-power. And I need it fast.” Jade glazed over the rooms, her eyes not knowing where to start. 

Mr. Sung took exactly one second, then walked over to one of the walls and picked up a rifle. 

“This will work.” Mr. Sung handed the sniper-rifle over to Jade, who started to look it over. “This is the M2010 Enhanced Sniper Rifle once manufactured by the U.S. military. It uses .300 Winchester Magnum bullets, which have around a 1,200 meter range if you’re good at what you do.” Mr. Sung paused for a second, letting Jade look over the weapon more. “It has been modified to fit our new world, with carbon fiber parts for weight reduction, an advanced carbon-ceramic suppressor, and a precisely shaped barrel, down to the micrometer.”

“How much?” Jade lifted her head to look at Mr. Sung. 

“Five thousand credits.”

 “Works for me!” Jade pushed, quickly trading the credits over, snatching the rifle and a small box of ammo, then sprinting out of the shop. 

 

- - - -

 

Jade looked through the scope. It was high tech, and the range was just what she needed. She silently thanked herself for the night-vision in her suit, and in a moment of genius, hurriedly switched on the recording feature as well.

The commotion of the fight helped her find the two of them, but when she looked at what was happening, she saw only horror. Alexander, mangled and bloodied, was on his last leg. And Riverman looked just fine. She breathed in sharply as she saw Alexander get beat down by his gargantuan oar. 

Her mind scrambled to try and study the situation, but there was nothing. Alexander was exploding with magical energy, but Riverman was not showing anything. She gritted her teeth. But then, when things couldn't possibly get worse, they did. Riverman reared up his oar with a massive arc, and brought it down on Alexander. 

Jade saw, however, Alexander sporadically move and break the oar. She almost threw up seeing his body move in that way, imagining the sickening crack that must have sounded. Riverman then backed off, and before Alexander had a chance to even move, Riverman broke apart his spear, revealing a giant trident, which promptly impaled Alexander. 

And as Riverman took out his trident from Alexander, his heart impaled on one of its ends, he turned menacingly towards Jade. He brought up his head, looked directly at her, and smiled. Jade held her breath. But then he turned away, walked over to Alexander, and took something off of him. Then he disappeared into the grass. 

Jade hyperventilated after her lungs started to spasm for air. She dropped the rifle and tried to calm down. It did not work. Her hands shook as she sat up, and her mind scattered for a solution. But there was nothing. Then a notification chimed, and she hurriedly opened her inbox. It was from Obadiah. 

0