Meeting the nuclear man.
802 7 34
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With my decison made, I looked Agent Hansen in the eyes, and spoke the magic words.

"If you let me do this, I'll tell you exactly who Sylar is and how to find him."

Instantly her face changed, as her conviction wavered.

On the one hand was the security of millions, on the other was the solution to the most puzzling case in her career, her veritable Moby Dick.

A true test of morals. One I'm glad she failed.

"Alright. I'll give you ten minutes with him. Not a second more. Officer Parkman will stay with you, as insurance. In the meantime, I'll fill out the transfer paperwork to move him somewhere upstate." She said, storming out as Parkman led me to the holding cells.

"Here we go." Parkman said, ushering me into the lead lined cell, with blank pale walls and a two way glass on one end.

No wonder Ted was going to go mad.

Even without the treasure trove of shit that had become his life, he'd have still gone nuts if he had to sit in this dreary hellhole all day long, devoid of stimulation.

"Now who's this?" Ted asked, looking up at me, "Another ones of your shrinks? Or did Hansen finally get reassigned?" He asked, clearly tired and worn from the experience.

"Nah. Not her lucky day, I guess." I said, matching his tone and mirroring him as we sat down for a chat.

"So Parkman here tells me you have two marks on your neck? Care to show them to me?" I asked.

"What will it matter if I do or don't? It's not like you're suddenly going to believe that I didn't do it. I didn't steal any nuclear weapons or whatever from the government." He muttered.

"Oh but I do believe you, Teddy, Can I call you Teddy? I'm gonna call you Teddy.

So listen here Teddy.." I said, when he interjected.

"I'm already listening asshole. Get on with it." He jabbed.

Unfazed, I continued.

"As I was saying, I do believe you. You didn't steal shit from anyone. Except maybe your wife's life but hey, you didn't know better. The man in the horn rimmed glasses did though. And he still set you loose upon her, unstable and out of control. Really, of anyone is to be faulted, it is him, isn't it?"

For the first time in the conversation, Ted looked up at me, as some light returned to his eyes.

"Yes. That's... that's right. It's his fault. He did this to us. He ruined my life!" He cried, dry tears stains on his cheeks wetted again, as he sobbed quietly.

"It's okay." I said, getting up from the chair, comforting him with a hug.

"Don't get so close to him. He's radio-" Parkman warned.

"Radioactive, yes. I know. But I also know he is a poor man in desperate need of a hug. Besides, he won't blow up at me will he now?" I said, "He's not a monster after all."

Ted sniffled, wiping his tears on his shirt, as he nodded.

"Yeah..uh...sorry you had to see that. It's just ... it's been a hard couple of weeks." He said.

"That's alright. Happens to the best of us." I said, patting his back as I walked back to my seat and unclipped the walkman from my hip, placing it on the table.

"Now back on the topic, those scars on your necks are from hypodermic needles. They're used to inject a radioactive isotope into the bloodstream of animals to keep track of them, like a GPS, but way shittier. The company, that's who the man in the horn rimmed glasses, Noah Bennet, works for. They are a shadowy illuminati, that track, capture and sometimes enslave people with abilities, like you guys, in their words, 'for the greater good'."

"They're treating us like animals?!" Ted raged, as the geiger cointer int he room began too beep incessantly.

Parkman quietly handed me an anti radiation pill under the table as Ted began to settle down.

Popping it into my mouth, I continued.

"Noah Bennet works with a partner who's like you guys, someone with abilities, his being memory manipulation and power negation.

So he can disable your powers if you go near him and then wipe your memories clean. So steer clear of him and he's basically paper mache in a hurricane.

Now the company branch where he works is located under Primatech Paper Co. in Odessa Texas, and that's also where they keep their prisoners and experimental subjects. But it is heavily guarded and secretive, so don't go bothering, trying to raid it or blast your way in." I warned.

"Anything else we have to worry about?" Ted asked, already planning to ignore my advice and raid them.

"Nothing much yet. Oh, except they also have a ability user with mind control in there so maybe invest in a pair of earmuffs when engaging in matters pertaining to the facility." I replied ,shifting in my seat as I pushed the walkman towards Ted, opening up it's body to reveal the crystal battery.

"What's that?" Parkman asked.

"Payment. I've given you all you need to know to bring down the man who did you dirty. Now it's time for you to pay up for my services." I said, garnering confused looks from the two of them.

"What exactly are we supposed to pay?" Parkman asked, hesitant.

"You Mr. Parkman, can pay my cab fare, back to the hotel. A 40 should suffice." I said, before turning to Ted

"I don't exactly have cash on hand right now.." Ted replied, lifting up his shackled hands.

"No need for cash. You have something far more valuable you can pay with. Nuclear power." I said, pointing to the crystal.

"You can direct your power, can't you?" I asked.

"Yeah, why." Ted replied.

"I want you to charge my battery then. Channel your power into the crystal, and maintain it at the level where electronics start sparking. When the crystal glows blue, you'll know it's enough."

" Since when do walkmans have nuclear batteries? What even is that thing? I thought it was a walkman." Parkman asked, looking the device over.

"It's a forcefield generator. Shoots a beam of repulsor ionic clusters that rotate around you like a shield, blocking attacks and such." I explained.

"That's amazing! Where did you get this from?" Parkman inquired.

"Made it myself from used walkman and heater parts." I replied shocking him.

"Are you some kind of genius or something?" Parkman exclaimed.

"Or something..." I replied, as a blue light flashed across the crystal.

"Yup. That's enough juice for today. Thanks a bunch." I said, carefully flipping the walkman closed and reattached it to my hip.

"No, thank you for helping us with this. If you ever need help, in the future, just give me a call." Parkman said, handing me a business card.

"Yeah same here. Don't hesitate to call me over if you need anything charged or broken, now that I'm like this." Ted added.

"Sure. See you then." I said, leaving the room, "And  a final word of advice. Don't take on the company alone. They'll crush you. Gather allies first before you strike. I'd rather you not die like idiots, acting on my information."

As I walked past the reception, Agent Hansen stopped me by the door and dragged me outside.

"I held up my end of the deal, now you hold up yours." She demanded.

"Sure. Sylar's real name is Gabriel Gray. He is a watchmaker from New York. He won't be easy to find, but if there's one place he'll definitely visit, it's Dr. Mohinder Suresh's apartment. Find Mohinder Suresh, and you'll find Sylar." I explained, as she nodded satisfied.

"Good. Now don't leave the area. I might need to contact you again in the near future." She said, as she grabbed my hand, shoving a card in it.

"My oh my, how forward of you, Agent Hansen. At least take me on first date." I flirted, as she made a vain attempt to slap me, before shaking her head.

"I can't even with you!" She muttered, walking back to her office, as I watched.

Once the coast was clear, I hired a cab, and returned to the suburban trail, retrieving the portal gun and portaling back to my room.

As I collapsed onto the bed, again, I patted my trusty Aegis at the hip, now at full charge, as I fell asleep, free from danger.

34