Episode 31: The Ritual
323 5 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

I was falling through the air, laughing like an idiot.

"This feels amazing..."

Bells started chiming, and then, suddenly, I landed on the fluffiest clouds.

"Is this what heaven feels like?"

Gold light poured out from my forehead. It then fell back onto my body in the form of golden rain.

"I'm still into it..."

I basked in this warmth for a little longer, but then the bells started chiming, and things started getting darker.

"Huh?"

The clouds below my back disappeared, and I fell faster than ever before.

"Hey--wait--everything was so good! Wait!"

I fell into a pool of something. One second later, incredible pain shot through my senses, and I broke through the surface, roaring. I looked down at whatever I was in.

"Lava?! Wait no--"

Two arms came out from behind me and passed by either side of my head.

"Be at ease..."

The arms wrapped around me and gently pulled me back. The embrace was so cool.

"I am here."

"But the lava," I said as I felt my back press against something soft.

"What lava?"

I looked down again and found myself wading in a crystal clear pool.

"Oh... I guess it wasn't lava after all," I said, relaxing. "Thanks for the assist, Miss."

"It's no problem at all."

I let out a weary sigh. "The water's nice, though..."

"May I ask for something?"

"Hmm? Sure, why not? Just keep holding onto me... This is very comfortable."

"Well, you see, I am very free and very used to going wherever it is that my heart desires..."

"Uhuh," I hummed.

"There are not many places that I cannot enter, and yet, I have come across a door that I cannot peer behind."

I opened my eyes and saw an ornate door sitting above the surface of the water a good distance away. "The door?"

"Would you please allow me a peek? I promise I won't overstay my welcome--"

"Hold on!" I ripped myself from that wonderful embrace. "It's you! You're trying to get into the door again!"

"I suppose negotiations have failed?"

"Listen, you've got to let it rest!" I said as the world started shaking. "Don't think about the door! There's nothing we need to see behind it!"

"Fainn, please calm down--"

"Nope, I'm waking up. Sayonara! I'm--"

I opened my eyes.

"--waking up."

I sat up and yawned as I stretched. Stretching always felt so good.

"Hey, Elma, did you sleep well--oh."

Elma wasn't next to me.

"Oh..."

I... I was pretty sure I felt a little sad waking up alone.

"Ahh, yeah, she's probably just busy or something. Can't expect her to be with me every single moment." I slipped out of bed and put on some fresh clothes. "Let's see... Today feels like a black shirt and cargo pants kind of day."

I couldn't help but notice that the house was quieter than usual. I had kind of gotten used to the sounds of Svilran playing around in the kitchen. Given that observation, I wasn't very surprised when I walked out into the main room and found no one.

"I wonder if Svilran stayed at the <Infirmary> overnight..." I smiled. "That's very kind of her... I don't get to experience the joy of two girls so nearby, but Kanae deserves Svilran more than I do right now. Hmm?"

I expanded my awareness a little and noticed that someone was on the other side of the Home's door.

"Dorth? What's she doing just standing there?"

I kind of just puttered around the house until Dorthaunzee finally knocked on the door. Once she did, I waltzed on over and opened the door--

"Holy shit--my heart--" I yelped within a second of seeing her.

 

Dorthaunzee-she wasn't wearing the normal nun outfit. Instead, she was wearing a frilly pink sundress--super low-cut--so low-cut I felt like I would be going to Hell for staring into that massive valley between the forbidden hills--what was I saying again? Oh, right. Hills that made an otherwise innocent sundress erotic... She was wearing a short black jacket over top of the sundress... The jacket gave it a very modern look. Oh, now that I was engaging all my willpower, I noticed that she was wearing cute open-toed slippers. They were pink and had some straps that went up a little past her ankle. Very cute... Well, I had to look at the girl directly, so I looked her in the eyes, ready for her to judge me.

"Dorth?" I asked, confused.

She was looking down toward her feet with her hands behind her back.

"Is everything alright--"

She suddenly held a piece of paper out. Worried by the sudden, and unexpected chain of events, I took the paper and read what was scrawled on it.

"Thank goodness we can all understand each other... Oh... 'Could you please spend the morning with me?'" I looked at Dorth. "You... you want to spend the morning with me?"

She nodded quickly. I noticed her hands were shaking, and her lantern was flickering.

My heart sank. I was pretty sure I knew what was going on.

I chuckled nervously. "Sure; where do you want to go?"

Her hand flew out quickly. She pointed at the Jungle. Oh god, she wasn't even looking at me.

"Sure, let's go!" I said, my voice breaking. "Oh! Actually, let me put on my shoes."

Oh dear god. It was definitely clear. The nun was pissed off that I was getting cocky and fooling around with two awesome girls at the same time. Oh god, she's probably going to chew me out where no one can see.

Dorthaunzee nodded vigorously, and I went back inside.

Oh, dear god. She's so angry. Someone help me... I can't figure out why she's wearing that outfit, though... Maybe Svilran dressed her up?

Shit, in a panic, I sent part of myself to the Inverse.

{"Hmm? Dorthaunzee invited you to the Jungle? Have fun, Fainn!"}

["But Narlivs, I think she's mad at us--"]

{"'Us?' Why would that be? Fainn, it's rude for you to be down here. Please consider giving Dorthaunzee your undivided attention."}

Well, no lie, Narlivs being so nonchalant was unexpected. But then again, Narlivs couldn't read minds. She had no reason to believe that sweet and innocent Dorthaunzee would be upset. With nothing else that I could do, I went back outside and started walking to the jungle with her.

I sneaked glances at Dorthaunzee many times. She hadn't looked at me. And then, on one of those times, she moved in such a way that her chest bounced--

"!!!"

Shit, she saw me staring. Goddamn it, you stupid pervert. Wasn't Elma enough?! I glanced at her again. She was holding her hands against her chest. They were shaking... Shit, she was angry.

The walk over to the jungle was tense, for lack of a better word.

"Ahh, here we are," I said, actually sweating from every pore.

***Dorthaunzee's Perspective***

In front of the door, thirty minutes before she actually knocked--

Oh, whatever will I do if he doesn't come to the door? What if he rebukes me and casts me into the pit of lonely flames?

Dorthaunzee studied her newest outfit. She had taken advice from Svilran, the operation's self-appointed fashion expert, but she was still unsure that she could wear such an outfit.

Is this not too much? My Lord, have I shown too much of my body out of turn? Have I made a mockery of this temple you have afforded me? But these garments are so cute and... and I really believe that I am almost comparable to the radiant Svilran. I never thought that I could look so heavenly...

Dorthaunzee looked at the door and wiped her eyes.

I... I pray that you are the kind of person who would be swayed by garments... I'm sorry! I shouldn't wish for you to be so lesser, but I'm scared. Please... please, I pray that garments picked out by a goddess are enough to make you overlook the faults of this wretched woman.

Dorthaunzee extended her hand but froze before knocking. She pulled her hand back and engaged in desperate prayer.

Time passed. A cold breeze blew in, snapping Dorthaunzee back to reality.

Yes! I must do this. If I am about to be repelled, then so be it!

Dorthaunzee knocked on the door and pulled her hand back as soon as she did.

No, have mercy on me! I was arrogant; I shouldn't have done so! My heart is not ready for cruel rejection.

"Holy shit--my heart--"

Nooooooo! Am I such a repulsive beast that I have induced pain in his heart?! I cannot bear to look--

Two little fingers flew up to Dorthaunzee's hands as she held them behind her back. Dorthaunzee opened her hands and received the piece of paper the little fingers brought.

Elma... Yes, Elma is still helping me. She is our paradise-sent supporter. As long as she is by my side... I can walk the same path she did and enter My Savior's glorious maw... Surely, what she has placed in my hands is so great--so monumental that it will correct the foul course I have forced My Savior on.

"Dorth? Is everything alright?"

Go, Salvation sent by a Hero! Save me from my foolish self. Reach his eyes! Elma's words--I do not feel shame from having to rely on my companion!

"Thank goodness we can all understand each other... Oh... 'Could you please spend the morning with me?'"

How bold! How direct! I could never ask for such a thing! Is this how you secured his heaven-sent embrace? Thank you, thank you, a hundred times thank you! I swear I will not let my filth ruin him. I will keep my filth to myself--

"You... you want to spend the morning with me?"

Dorthaunzee nodded quickly.

I cannot afford to lose this opportunity, but I cannot think straight. I'm so scared.

"Sure; where do you want to go?"

Dorthaunzee pointed quickly.

Oh no, did I get that right? No, I must have. Kanae told me to go to the Jungle of Round Melons. There is opportunity there.

"Sure, let's go! Oh! Actually, let me put on my shoes."

Oh, dearest Lord. I heard it! It's there! I have inspired so much anger in my Savior with my selfish request that he is unable to speak to me with his usual tenor. He cannot even stand to look at me and needs a moment's reprieve. Noooo! I regret everything. Strike me down, My Lord!

Fainn put on his shoes, and then the two walked in silence.

He has not said anything. I cannot dare lift my gaze. What if he's looking at me with scorn? My Lord... Would it be terribly terrible if I were to fall onto the ground and hug myself as if I were a child separated from their parent? This is the worst punishment I could ever have imagined--to have angered My Savior so... Would I take my heart out of my chest if it would only soothe My Savior's temper... No! I must be brave. I must see. Cast your angry eyes on me--

Dorthaunzee glanced at Fainn.

No! He was staring at my bare skin with the eyes of a wrathful deity. No, I knew it--this deviant body must be hidden! I offended his eyes. I went too far in my arrogance. I knew it! I knew I could never be like Svilran. I should have emulated Elma's mature and confident beauty! Or perhaps... Oh, what I would do to swap the condition of my body with the kind Kanae's.

Dorthaunzee clasped her hands together.

Please, My Lord, give me the strength to persevere. I, who has so foolishly believed herself to be greater than she could ever be, will present herself before his eyes and take his scorn, for this is my punishment. I will never forget that anger that will scar this soul. I will never step out of line... Just please, please give me the strength to survive this punishment... My Lord, please... would you possess this body and take my place?

"Ahh, here we are."

My Lord has abandoned me.

 

For anyone wondering about the timeline, the passage of time flows differently when dreaming. Fainn was asleep for a good while after Elma left.

Also, this chapter had an image. It'll be done soon, I hope. I'll update it once I have it,.

 

19